Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Feb 20, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Attending funerals (or not)?

A rather controversial subject to some family members, but if a relative such as an aunt or uncle passes away who I haven't seen in decades, or I was never overly close to, then I will send flowers but I don't attend their funeral. Some family members think this is wrong and if they are a reasonably close relative (such as an aunt or uncle), then I should attend out of respect.

I am not in need of reassurance, so feel free to give your honest opinion (I won't sulk), so what's your take on this?
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Truthfully, I wouldn't attend a funeral unless the person was significant to me, or had a positive influence on my life; either as an adult or as a child.
In respect of a family member such as an aunt or uncle, I think it would depend on my relationship with them as a child, and how much of an impact/influence they had on that part of my life, as well as my adult life. Not having seem them in decades wouldn't necessarily stop me attending if they had impacted my life for the better.

I feel like I'm waffling but hopefully that made sense!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Well I would not send flowers, lots of people prefer donations.
I'd probably attend, (if reasonable distance) we have had some fantastic family reunions at funerals.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Personally I would attend. I attended a distant aunts funeral a few years ago, just to please my dad.
I don’t really see the harm in going really.
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

I tend to go for the living, rather than for the dead. If you being there will help other attendees then you should go.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post

Mobile

I think it depends on the distance, if it was local then I probably would, I really don't handle funerals well(who does) and sometimes my sons and my husband would just go.
Old 8 Feb 20, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by iLaura View Post
Truthfully, I wouldn't attend a funeral unless the person was significant to me, or had a positive influence on my life; either as an adult or as a child.
In respect of a family member such as an aunt or uncle, I think it would depend on my relationship with them as a child, and how much of an impact/influence they had on that part of my life, as well as my adult life. Not having seem them in decades wouldn't necessarily stop me attending if they had impacted my life for the better.

I agree with you because even if I hadn't seen a relative in years, but they were good to me years ago and had a positive impact on my life then I would definitely attend.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

That’s a difficult one to answer. My personal feelings on the matter are that I would attend a funeral to show my respect and pray for them. If I have not seen them in decades then I am unsure if I would attended. Depends on the reason why I had not seen them.
I have not seen my uncle for years and years but I love him dearly and would attend his funeral.
However I would not attend the funeral of my uncle by marriage on my dads side.
I would also attend a funeral for moral support, so if my mum needed me for emotional support I would attend.
Hope I am making sense.
Basically would depend how close I was/am to that person. Or if I wanted to go and support a loved one.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by iLaura View Post

This.

Distance with age my have drawn us apart but if key to my childhood I'd 100% be there.

If they were not a part of my life then or now I'd send a card to the family but skip the funeral.

Recently lost a parent and I didn't feel bad on cousins that didn't make it x
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
JudgeJ26
Imagineer

Mobile

The only funeral I have ever attended was my father's last year. My paternal grandparents passed away when I was little and I never went to the funerals. When my maternal grandparents passed away my children were very little and it was decided no young children were invited. As my other close relatives are now getting older I may attend as support to the family. My job involves working with the elderly and when they have passed away I have been asked to attend the funeral. I always politely decline as I like to remember the person as they were.
JudgeJ26 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List