Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 27 Feb 20, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Rose89
Helping Minnie

As someone who works in the travel industry I'm finding it very hard to believe a few things in this thread:
That the airline would contact the person in the other seat at all, let alone discuss your medical needs with them.
That they said you could book that seat for £75 if they did move, an airline can make a lot more by selling that seat, why would they let you have it without paying the full fare?
That your issues are as bad as you claim, as any passenger who needs to go to the bathroom that frequently would normally ask to be in the row closest to the toilets, let alone not in a middle or window seat.
2024 All Star Music Resort/2023 Tokyo Disneyland, DisneySea & Universal Osaka/2022 Rosen Inn Lake Buena Vista/2022 Pop Century/2021 Rosen Inn Lake Buena Vista/2019 Caribbean Beach & Endless Summer Surfside/2018 Disneyland California & Universal Hollywood/2017 Rosen Inn Pointe Orlando/2016 Rosen Inn International/2014 Disneyland Paris/2012 Pop Century/2010 Econolodge Inn & Suites/1999 Kissimmee/1997 Quality Inn I- Drive
Rose89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Northerndave
Being a bit Goofy

Originally Posted by Thorpy View Post
Expecting someone else to fast for hours so you don't have to get up a couple of extra times is also selfish. All about which side of it you look at.
I agree, if it was a couple of extra times, but the OP mentioned every 5-10 minutes if he ate, so that sounds like it could be 6 times an hour, for how many hours Chrohns affects him.

The OP has mentioned he refrains from eating now as he doesn't like Portaloos in work, so there's no difference here.

What is almost more worrying is that if the OP did eat and the Aisle customer was willing to get up and down constantly (apparently they do not), what happens when the seatbelt signs go on for an hour and the OP can't get out?

I would not fancy being on that plane.
Old 27 Feb 20, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

On our last flight back the seatbelt sign was on more than off I think.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post
mulv2222
Very Serious Dibber

I also have Crohn's disease and am concerned about the seatbelt sign being on at the wrong time 😳 I have to limit what I eat to make sure I don't need too many trips but have booked an aisle seat to make it a easy a possible 🤞
mulv2222 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 12:25 AM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
Maybe because it's not good for your health to dehydrate.
No it’s not good for health at all. And probably not eating wouldn’t but for the OP it would be for a few hours and he does it for work anyway. When you have a health condition you find work arounds.

If I go to the coast which is 2hours from home then I wouldn’t be able to drink past 7pm the night before. Seems mad but these are things we have to do. I can’t even have a cuppa when I wake up cos I’ve got the school run so have to have it when I get home. There’s not always a reason for me to have to go to the toilet. Sometimes one cuppa with irritate me and it’s within minutes of each other. Sometimes I can manage an hour but not often. I feel lucky if I can sleep for a solid 5 hours without getting up. But the other option is Botox which I will probably have to do until then just have to manage.
So it seems strange to me that the OP wouldn’t make allowances to make sure he isn’t up and down all the time.
I had to have an aisle seat and two other people were at the window and middle. And that’s cos I wouldn’t have wanted to ask people to move all the time for me.

I too worry about the seatbelt sign
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 12:57 AM  
Link to this Post
michaelb136
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Mobile

Originally Posted by Neilandrewhall View Post
Thanks for this - lets hope that i get some answers from Virgin, and hope its not a kid next to us for 9 hours
You hope it’s not a kid next to you? Why? You’re expecting everybody to accommodate your needs yet you’d be angry if a child was sat next to you... on a flight to Florida... really?
michaelb136 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 01:08 AM  
Link to this Post
coulty47
Apprentice Imagineer

What no one seems to have picked up on is the fact that of 3 passengers out of the 100s on the plane,1 must sit by the window 1 must if he could sit at the aisle and 1 wants to get on the plane take a sleeping pill and sleep for 9 hrs (presumably reclining) therefore stopping the people from behind him getting out to go to the toilet as well. what a fun flight that is going to be.
coulty47 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkermom
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by mulv2222 View Post
I also have Crohn's disease and am concerned about the seatbelt sign being on at the wrong time 😳 I have to limit what I eat to make sure I don't need too many trips but have booked an aisle seat to make it a easy a possible 🤞
I have Crohn’s disease too and find that a couple of Imodium help if I’m having a bit of a flare. Good luck I’m sure you’ll be fine
Old 28 Feb 20, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Thorpy View Post
Expecting someone else to fast for hours so you don't have to get up a couple of extra times is also selfish. All about which side of it you look at.

If I was in seat 3 and the options are stand my ground, remain stubbornly in my seat, or getting up to help out the bloke with the medical condition. I know I would happily help out. (I don't want to risk being in any firing line! )

The win is for the wife to sort herself out so she can endure a middle seat... but then I'm well aware that this may be easier said than done, and she who must be obeyed is a saying for a reason.
You may not have read the entire thread. OP requires aisle access but deliberately did not pick it because he assumed that the third (aisle) seat in his row would be left empty. It wasn’t, somebody paid to get an aisle seat and then somebody else suggested OP should deliberately spill his ice cold water over the aisle seat passenger and feel free to disturb the aisle passenger every five or ten minutes for nine hours (as OP said would be necessary) not an extra couple of times. The post you have quoted was a response to that very spiteful suggestion.

OP has also mentioned that his normal routine is not to eat during the working day because of his condition. So forgoing a meal would not be out of the norm and in view of queues for toilets and seatbelt signs, might not be a bad idea anyway.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
You may not have read the entire thread. OP requires aisle access but deliberately did not pick it because he assumed that the third (aisle) seat in his row would be left empty. It wasn’t, somebody paid to get an aisle seat and then somebody else suggested OP should deliberately spill his ice cold water over the aisle seat passenger and feel free to disturb the aisle passenger every five or ten minutes for nine hours (as OP said would be necessary) not an extra couple of times. The post you have quoted was a response to that very spiteful suggestion.

OP has also mentioned that his normal routine is not to eat during the working day because of his condition. So forgoing a meal would not be out of the norm and in view of queues for toilets and seatbelt signs, might not be a bad idea anyway.
I read it as he picked the middle seat to support his frightened partner, and hoped the 3rd seat would be empty or at least populated by somebody reasonable.

I dismissed the every 5 or 10 minutes for 9 hours as exaggeration, by other people...not OP. I figure it may be more than normal, but nobody needs to visit the toilet 50 times or more in a flight. Now that may be my ignorance of his condition, but in my experience when I've had a dose of the trots, 50 times in 9 hours simply does not happen. Without being graphic, you basically run out of stuff to evacuate.
I could happily cope with that in the end seat. It's not ridiculous to ask me to stand up a few extra times because he has an issue.

We have the recent debate re middle seats, and remembering the 3rd seat sleeping pill story from 12 months ago, virgin supposedly breaking confidentiality and process by ringing passengers and asking them to move, and mention of child in the 3rd seat. Lots of coincidences and all the buttons are getting pushed. There are also known to be other sets of 3 which are being ignored, both by OP and by Special assistance apparently which would offer a solution. Curiouser and curiouser to quote a Disney character.