Notices
Itineraries Post your Trip Itineraries here.

Old 22 Feb 19, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
caulicheese
New Poster (4)

Mobile Are weekends best avoided in the parks?

I expect weekends in the park would be significantly busier than weekdays, is that correct from the experience of those who’ve been?

I’m making plans for October 2020 (first time) and to maximise annual leave/school holidays it would make sense for us to fly on a Friday (also from looking at October 2019 prices flights will be cheaper). However if the price is right with DDP included my plan is to have a 5 day stay in a Disney resort hotel at the beginning of the holiday.

I’m wondering if we’d be better off staying on I-drive for the first two nights and checking into Disney on the Monday, obviously this also means our tickets would start from the Monday also. Does this seem a good idea or not? I think we (me and dd age 17) could spend the weekend shopping, visiting Disney Springs, maybe an attraction other than Disney/Universal.

Or would you just check into Disney straight off and not be bothered that the first days in the parks will be at a weekend?

I know most people on the boards are of the opinion that no-one goes only once but I really do think this will be our only trip so I want to get as much out of it as possible!
caulicheese is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 19, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
rafjen
Apprentice Imagineer

rafjen's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Have a look at some crowd prediction websites to see if there is a big difference in predicted crowds- some weekends where Americans have a long weekends can be significantly busier- if you are going over half term its likely the entire trip will be busy. I'm not sure I would bother with 2 days shopping at the start I'd want to jump straight in.
rafjen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 19, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotscraig
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Scotscraig's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Weekends are also travel days so not necessarily busier. Every day at Disney is busy but if you have a good plan you can cope even if it is busy. Look at Touring Plans as they score each day rather than just saying if it is good or not.
Food trip report Oct 2017 with DDP
Food trip report Oct 2018 with DDP

DL 1995, WDW 1998, 2001, Sheraton Vistana Villages 2012, Sheraton Vistana Resort 2014, HRH/WL 2015, WL 2016, AKL 2017, SSR 2018, Newport Bay DLP 2019, Sheraton Vistana Resort 2019
Scotscraig is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 19, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
bigshaz
booked again yippee

Epcot is good at a weekend in the day in our experience - its big enough to hold a crowd.
we avoid water parks at a weekend as always believed more locals would use them then - don't know if that still holds true.
Where ever you go -Go with the rule of be there 45 mins before rope drop and you'll be ready to come home by 2 when the parks gets busy anyway :-)
Do not do Magic Kingdom on a Monday as it s typically the first day of many peoples holidays and where they head first
have fun
Feb 2011 All Stars Resort, Aug 2017 Port Orleans Riverside & HRH, Aug 2018 Port Orleans French Quarter, Aug 2019 Wilderness Lodge HRH & Contemporary, Feb 2020 Grand Floridian, Aug 2021 Disney Dream, Dec 21 Beach Club & Wilderness Lodge, Feb 22 Port Orleans Riverside, July 22 Port Orleans French Quarter, Feb 23 Staybright Suites Offsite (never again )
bigshaz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 19, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post

If I were only spending five days at Disney, I definitely would not want the first two to be a weekend. We usually do shopping or rest day at the weekend, maybe pop into a park just for three fast passes.

We normally travel on a Sunday though so have never faced your dilemma of how to spend the first two days at a weekend though. But I think I would agree with your plan of spending the first two or three nights elsewhere.

Oh and on Dibb, people say there is never only one trip, because it is a forum for people that like Disney. In real life, I have only met people that really did just go once and have no plans to go again.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 19, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I don’t think there is a significant difference on the weekends. Lots of people travel on a Saturday so it can be quieter.

Will you be visiting the parks for longer than 5 days as I don’t think 5 days is enough for a once in a lifetime trip.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 19, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Epcot is incredibly busy on weekend evenings in October due to the Food and Wine festival. We were in there on 27 October last year and only went to our ADR and left the park afterwards as it was too crowded to move around World Showcase.

Apart from that though, I wouldn’t lose two days of my holiday out of the parks completely. Magic Kingdom is very busy on weekends but if you go in early, as you will be awake early due to jet lag, you can do loads by 1pm when it gets busy and then leave for a rest by the pool etc. AK and HS are usually the quieter of the parks on weekends but even these are busier than weekdays. Check the busy day guide and use your fast passes on the busiest rides and weekends are doable though
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 19, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Scotscraig
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Scotscraig's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Epcot is incredibly busy on weekend evenings in October due to the Food and Wine festival. We were in there on 27 October last year and only went to our ADR and left the park afterwards as it was too crowded to move around World Showcase.

Apart from that though, I wouldn’t lose two days of my holiday out of the parks completely. Magic Kingdom is very busy on weekends but if you go in early, as you will be awake early due to jet lag, you can do loads by 1pm when it gets busy and then leave for a rest by the pool etc. AK and HS are usually the quieter of the parks on weekends but even these are busier than weekdays. Check the busy day guide and use your fast passes on the busiest rides and weekends are doable though
Would definitely agree Epcot should be avoided Friday and Saturday night in October. We have been on Sunday nights and they are ok.
Food trip report Oct 2017 with DDP
Food trip report Oct 2018 with DDP

DL 1995, WDW 1998, 2001, Sheraton Vistana Villages 2012, Sheraton Vistana Resort 2014, HRH/WL 2015, WL 2016, AKL 2017, SSR 2018, Newport Bay DLP 2019, Sheraton Vistana Resort 2019
Scotscraig is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 19, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

IMO yes parks are busier at week ends, Busch gardens is always full of Locals on a week end.
We try to get to any park early and spend a few hours before the crowds, and may return in the evening for a show.
Some times get to a water park for opening then come out around noon as it starts to fill up.
Not sure where some think week end is a travel day as every day is a travel day, visitors arrive and leave 7 days a week.

We usually arrange to do none park activities such as visit Clearwater which is on our to do this year, Drive down Sunday morning spend a night hit Busch garden on Monday morning on the way back.

We also use week ends for shopping days and relaxing round the pool and we might visit a park in the evening to see a show and if any ride lines are average do the rides but we go with the thoughts of if we do not do many rides thats ok.
Old 25 Feb 19, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

In October, you'll also need to factor in the party schedule for deciding MK days. So a Sunday with the party on that night will be quieter during the day (due to the reduced standard hours - people without park hoppers or party tickets will go elsewhere, and party only ticket holders can't get in until 4pm) than a non-party Monday.

If it were me, I'd go straight to Disney. No point wasting those early jet lag mornings on shopping which can be done any time. If arriving on a Friday evening, I'd go with AK on Saturday (usually has EMH) then MK on Sunday - especially if it's a party night.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List