Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 24 Jul 18, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
KeithOP
Serious Dibber

Sorry for barging in but it's my first cruise too in november so I'm following this with interest

Are remy and palo dinners really hard to get? should I try and book them as soon as I can even though I wont really know what else may be happening on the evenings I'm booking them for?
KeithOP is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 18, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
avabear
Helping Mickey

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
We always do late sitting, but you've got to go with what suits your family. Presume you eat at about 5-6 at home? if yes, then try changing to early (main) dining.

Those on early dining eat then watch the theatre show after and those on late dining watch it while the early people are eating. So nobody misses out - half are early, half are late (or thereabouts).

Don't worry about your son not doing anything else - the club is open from 9am-midnight and they will feed them too. It's not a full blown proper dinner and they don't force them to eat. We made our wizards come out for dinner every night as it was the only time we saw them!

My top tip is to not let him have sign out privileges on this cruise. You can grant over 8s sign outs, but what we find is that those children then congregate in stairwells, run around mindlessly, scream and shout as they run around and are generally pretty obnoxious. Not all, but a lot of them despite their parents thinking the sun wouldn't shine!
Let him experience the club this cruise, then maybe give the freedom for next time.

Make sure you book another cruise or a placeholder while onboard (do it 2nd day if you can before queues get long). It will cost $250 for a placeholder and it's just that, a placeholder for a future cruise. You get some onboard credit, a 10% discount as well as a reduced deposit sometimes.
You have 24 months to use the placeholder (cruise must start within the 24 months). if you don't fancy another one (ha ha), you can cancel and get all of your money back.
You can just avoid the queues and fill in a card, but I always want to walk away with my reference number. Once you've left the ship, you cannot then get the offer.

Did you book direct with DCL?
Yes, we booked online with DCL. I always prefer to book direct with Disney for any holiday - if anything goes wrong, it’s easier to deal direct with Disney instead of going through a travel agent (that’s our experience, anyway).

He definitely won’t be getting sign out privileges 😂 I would worry about him wandering about and getting lost (and upset). I just spoke to him about it and asked what he thought about signing himself out vs us picking him up - he wants to be picked up 👍🏻

I didn’t know about the placeholder, I’ll talk to hubby and see what he says. Sounds like it’s worth taking advantage of, especially as the do so many different cruises now. 👍🏻
avabear is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 18, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by KeithOP View Post
Sorry for barging in but it's my first cruise too in november so I'm following this with interest

Are remy and palo dinners really hard to get? should I try and book them as soon as I can even though I wont really know what else may be happening on the evenings I'm booking them for?
On your first cruise, it will be more difficult to obtain a spot, generally brunch is more popular than dinner. I would choose one of them, not try to cram so much in by doing both.
Palo brunch is the most popular and it's popular for a reason - great price, great food, great service. Remy is a big step up from Palo at $95pp but unless you are a proper foodie, I'd stick with Palo.

Try to book a brunch, but if not, go for dinner - depending on how long your cruise is would depend when I'd book it for. Let me know.

Joa

Originally Posted by avabear View Post
Yes, we booked online with DCL. I always prefer to book direct with Disney for any holiday - if anything goes wrong, it’s easier to deal direct with Disney instead of going through a travel agent (that’s our experience, anyway).

He definitely won’t be getting sign out privileges 😂 I would worry about him wandering about and getting lost (and upset). I just spoke to him about it and asked what he thought about signing himself out vs us picking him up - he wants to be picked up 👍🏻

I didn’t know about the placeholder, I’ll talk to hubby and see what he says. Sounds like it’s worth taking advantage of, especially as the do so many different cruises now. 👍🏻
Phew - booking direct or with a US TA are the best options so that's good.
The placeholder is a win win for you - you lock in a discount, potential on board credit (OBC) but get every penny returned to you should you cancel it.

Joa
Old 26 Jul 18, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
avabear
Helping Mickey

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
Phew - booking direct or with a US TA are the best options so that's good.
The placeholder is a win win for you - you lock in a discount, potential on board credit (OBC) but get every penny returned to you should you cancel it.

Joa
We’ve already been thinking about the next one 😂 Fancy a med or Norwegian fjords. Decisions, decisions 😂
avabear is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 18, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by avabear View Post
We’ve already been thinking about the next one 😂 Fancy a med or Norwegian fjords. Decisions, decisions 😂
A lovely first world problem to have!
Med is very port intensive with long hot days. If you like hot, then go for Med. When at Naples, visit Herculaneum instead of Pompeii - it's better preserved and smaller so much more manageable.

Fjords is more sedate and generally cooler. Lots to see and do on both but I can highly recommend taking the heli over Pulpit Rock or the boat that goes under it in Stavanger.

Joa