Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 7 Aug 18, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
scousepete37
Trainee Dibber

Car Hire - Dodge Caravan

Hi All,

Not long to go now and excitement building.

Just a couple of questions on car hire. I have not driven in US before and as part of our package the car assigned to us is a Dodge G Caravan or similar. Has anyone got experience of driving this and is it reasonably ok to drive. Does anyone know what something similar would be and if it is preferable to Dodge Caravan.

I drive a Qashqai in UK.

Hope the questions aren't too vague.
scousepete37 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 18, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Northtim
Excited about Disney

We have hired a Dodge Caravan before, very decent and lots of space.

I think the consensus is the best option in the Minivan category is the Chrysler Pacifica, but if you can't get that the Dodge is fine. After that there can be options from Toyota or Nissan but I don't rate these, much better with the Dodge or preferably Pacifica
Northtim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 18, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
scousepete37
Trainee Dibber

Thank you for your reply that's really helpful.

Is it luck of the draw when you arrive or is there generally plenty of choice.

I've had a look online at the car and it looks ok.

Regards
scousepete37 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 18, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaDave
Imagineer

FloridaDave's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
If your hire company is Alamo then you should get some choice - if you get the option to take a Pacifica then that’s the one to get in that class, and if not the Dodge Grand Caravan is fine - they will likely have a few of these so look for leather and low miles when choosing.

I drive a Qashqai here myself - the Minivan is noticeably larger if they were side by side but easy to drive so you need not worry. My other half is a nervous driver when not in her car and on holiday who only has little cars herself (currently got a Fiat 500c) and she coped driving a Grand Caravan no problem - she really enjoyed it.

Driving over there is generally easier than in the U.K. and cars are bigger so a big car here won’t necessarily feel as imposing there.

Dave

Edited at 02:48 PM.
FloridaDave is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 18, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Northtim
Excited about Disney

It depends on the rental company and how quick they have refilled the spaces.

We rented with Dollar last time and they let us choose from a row and there was plenty of choice. Time before we could choose but there was only one car in the row!

Think Alamo let you choose, Avis allocate a car.

If you aren't happy speak to someone in the garage - I think a polite request and a $20 tip will help them find you what you want.

We are in Miami a couple of weeks and have a Minivan booked through avis on BA. I'm hoping for a Pacifica this time and will ask if they have one when I get to the garage.
Northtim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 18, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
deb10
Trying for More Ears

Last summer some friends and I did a road trip from New York down to Tennessee and back. We had a Dodge Caravan and it was fab. I didn’t drive but my friend who did loved it. We did several thousand miles of driving and was very comfortable. We’d definitely recommend one. Seemed fairly good on fuel too. But I’m no car expert, just giving some general thoughts 😊
deb10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 18, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
As said if there is a Chrysler Pacifica in the line take that, but the dodge is fine, remember you do not reverse park in Florida so the size isn't a problem
I expect by the time you get to your accommodation from the airport you will wonder whet you were worried about
Rob
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 18, 11:45 PM  
Link to this Post
SteveC
VIP Dibber

Been driving a Dodge Caravan here for the past week but as I mentioned on another post I made a schoolboy error in not checking the entertainment/media system only to realise when setting off that it had an old style radio/CD player so no reversing camera for the first time in a few years renting here. The other two Caravans we rented do have media/reversing cameras. It’s great for space with a large deep storage area for 3 cases and 3 or 4 hand luggage behind the third row and it drives fine.
SteveC is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 18, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Grace_1412
Excited about Disney

I have had a Dodge Caravan a few times (and have a Qashqui also, but living in the North East that isnt a minority) and they are a breeze to drive. Loads of room
Grace_1412 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 18, 02:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Northtim
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Picked up our car yesterday (Avis via BA Flydrive at Miami).
Despite me planning on haggling for a Pacifica after a 9 hr flight and 2 hours clearing customs I didn’t. We were all so tired, I got to the desk - asked what we had been allocated, was told a Dodge Caravan and I asked about a Pacifica but she couldn’t say how long one may take to come up so we stuck with the Dodge.
Not disappointed though - have checked it out more today - leather, electric side doors & boot, working sat nav & very nice car only done 12,000 miles.
Still think Pacifica looks better but the Dodge is excellent.