Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 20 Aug 18, 02:43 AM  
Link to this Post
elmspenguin
VIP Dibber

Avis under 75 mile fuel charge

I had a 2 day car hire from Avis at the start of our holiday just to get us from mco to Rosen inn pointe and then sapphire falls the next day with a bit of Florida mall Walmart and outlets chucked in and I only did around 60 miles. I dropped the car off at sapphire falls and foolishly I didn’t get a receipt but I told them I had filled it up ($10 cost) but a couple of days later saw a £15 charge from Avis on my cc app, so I went on to Avis and got an e-receipt and it looked like a fuel charge.

I went to the desk at sapphire falls and asked the manager what the charge was for and he said they now have an automatic charge of $17.99 plus tax if you return the car and have done under 75 miles as this is to stop people hiring a car for a short time and only doing a few miles and the needle not moving so they don’t refill, he told me that if you do less than 75 miles to make sure you show your petrol receipt to the person when returning the car and they should not apply the charge otherwise they will automatically add it. He refunded my charge as I showed him the receipt and to be fair was quite helpful. It’s the first time we haven’t had a car for the full duration so didn’t know about it and they didn’t mention it at the airport.

I just wanted to make people aware of this if you are doing short car hire bookings with Avis.

Edited at 02:44 AM.
elmspenguin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 18, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Gemsie0812
Very Serious Dibber

Gemsie0812's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Thanks for the heads up - seems a bit of a farcical charge to me? Weldone for questioning it!
WC 2013,2020
Gemsie0812 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 18, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
sandshal
Imagineer

Very useful post

sandshal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 18, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
The 13th Duke
Getting Excited

Very useful to know indeed. We're hiring a car from Sapphire Falls in the middle of our stay, just for a couple of days for Walmart, the Malls, Celebration etc so good to know we need to get over the magical 75 mile mark. Probably will but you never know. Thanks again
The 13th Duke is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 18, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Good post. It's been in the T & Cs for a long time but it is hidden away in the pages of stuff we are all guilty of not reading.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 18, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Brave5
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by elmspenguin View Post
I had a 2 day car hire from Avis at the start of our holiday just to get us from mco to Rosen inn pointe and then sapphire falls the next day with a bit of Florida mall Walmart and outlets chucked in and I only did around 60 miles. I dropped the car off at sapphire falls and foolishly I didn’t get a receipt but I told them I had filled it up ($10 cost) but a couple of days later saw a £15 charge from Avis on my cc app, so I went on to Avis and got an e-receipt and it looked like a fuel charge.

I went to the desk at sapphire falls and asked the manager what the charge was for and he said they now have an automatic charge of $17.99 plus tax if you return the car and have done under 75 miles as this is to stop people hiring a car for a short time and only doing a few miles and the needle not moving so they don’t refill, he told me that if you do less than 75 miles to make sure you show your petrol receipt to the person when returning the car and they should not apply the charge otherwise they will automatically add it. He refunded my charge as I showed him the receipt and to be fair was quite helpful. It’s the first time we haven’t had a car for the full duration so didn’t know about it and they didn’t mention it at the airport.

I just wanted to make people aware of this if you are doing short car hire bookings with Avis.
Very useful to know as we were thinking of doing exactly the same thing and probably wouldn't have done 75 miles.
Brave5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 18, 06:44 AM  
Link to this Post
UncleLatch
Imagineer

UncleLatch's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Thanks for that. Having a second car for the young'uns for part of our upcoming hols. I'll make sure they get over the 75 miles mark.
UncleLatch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List