Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Aug 18, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
jampxx
Excited about Disney

Sorry I am going in Easter. They will be out soon. The fly drive option on those airports was £2700 for 2A and 2C so worth trying combinations.
jampxx is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
thebig40
slightly serious Dibber

We did similar in 2016. We flew to Orlando for two weeks then drove down to Cape Coral for a week. We hired an amazing villa. We went on an airboat trip in the Everglades, went to beaches, dolphin watching and generally had a marvellous time. We then travelled back up to Orlando and had another night there before flying home.

We booked it all separately with advice from people on here.
thebig40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
blueboy120
Getting to know the DIBB

We’re in Naples now. Flew into Miami and stayed a night just past Ft Lauderdale rather than a long drive after all day travelling. Drove to Vero Beach for 5 nights in a cottage literally over the road from the beach, booked thru HomeAway... it was lovely! Then to end of 192 for a week in a villa in High Grove again booked thru HomeAway. Bit of a bog standard rental villa but very nice as most of them seem to be. Drove to St Pete Beach for 3 nights then down to Naples for 2. Over to Miami tomorrow for 3 then fly home Tuesday. Hotels all booked thru Hotels.com app and we converted Tesco Clubcard vouchers to Hotels.com coupon (x3 value 👍&#127995. All great so far just Miami to go. Fly drive booked thru BA... MAN - PHI - MIA out. MIA - LHR- MAN return. Saved loads booking a fly drive package. £2100 inc full size SUV for 3 weeks (2 x Adult 2 x Child 12 & 15). Asked about just flight only to see if we could get a better deal with the car elsewhere... flight only was more! Go figure 🤔
We’re old hands at Florida but first time into Miami airport. No problems thus far. It’s all extremely doable. It saves a fortune and means you can be as flexible as you want. Get looking, get booking and enjoy!

Edited at 06:41 PM.
blueboy120 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 18, 04:36 AM  
Link to this Post
PixieBoot
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

We’re currently on part 3 of our hol, to give you an idea of options this is what we did and who we booked with -

BA flydrive booked late Sept 2017. Upgraded car at airport.

3 nights Anna Maria island, beach house booked with HomeAway, April 2018z

6 nights Universal - Loews royal Pacific club level, booked with Travel Republic late Sept 2017.

11 nights Kissimmee 3 bed condo, cane island, booked Travel Republic May 2018.

With appropriate travel insurance, you can be quite versatile in what you book, where, duration etc.
Happy planning.

Oct 2003 couples hol Kissimmee > WDW, Universal, Seaworld, Busch, Daytona

Jul 2015 Family of 5 Kissimmee/RPR Club > Universal, Wet n Wild, Kennedy SC, WDW

Aug 2018 Family if 5 AMI/RPR Club/Kissimmee > Universal, VBay, WDW

Hopeful for Jul 2021 > RPR Club/Y Club
PixieBoot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 18, 05:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dreamcatcher View Post
Cant see to get any costings for fly drives for last 2 weeks of August 19 yet ?

tried BA, Virgin
When they are out they will not be the cheapest I would wait for the BA Xmas sale then play with routes and dates makes a massive difference. Last year we paid £1275 for three in August school holidays for three weeks with a Ford Edge 2A1C this was flying in and out of Miami direct.

It may look daunting but it is not, since my first trip in 1992 I have never and would never book a full package (fly drive accepted) worth noting that BA flydrive shave zero excess and all insurance you need Virgin by default have the minimum needed by law.

We booked our hotels last night for October in Nevada and Colorado we use top cashback and then, trip advisor, hotels combined, agoda, hotels.com, booking.com and occasionally Expedia whatever comes out cheapest. If it is important to get the best price It takes time to get the best rate I always do it and in the 5 nights I booked at 3 hotels last night I saved in total over £200 from the most expensive and probably over £1000 from the ridiculous rack rates. I book refundable and check and change when I can get it cheaper.

We have been to the US countless times and to be honest for us Florida is Park’s and beach and little more I am sure some will disagree but that is what it is for us. If we had only been to Florida we would not rush back to the US as often as we do. If you go West it’s so different so much more diverse apand lots of much cooler places to see and do the only problem is that hotels cost more Florida has so much accommodation that it is very cheap.

Edited at 05:22 AM.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 18, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamcatcher
slightly serious Dibber

Wow sounds fantastic ,and thanks for all the info that really helps and cant wait to start looking xx

Originally Posted by blueboy120 View Post
We’re in Naples now. Flew into Miami and stayed a night just past Ft Lauderdale rather than a long drive after all day travelling. Drove to Vero Beach for 5 nights in a cottage literally over the road from the beach, booked thru HomeAway... it was lovely! Then to end of 192 for a week in a villa in High Grove again booked thru HomeAway. Bit of a bog standard rental villa but very nice as most of them seem to be. Drove to St Pete Beach for 3 nights then down to Naples for 2. Over to Miami tomorrow for 3 then fly home Tuesday. Hotels all booked thru Hotels.com app and we converted Tesco Clubcard vouchers to Hotels.com coupon (x3 value 👍&#127995. All great so far just Miami to go. Fly drive booked thru BA... MAN - PHI - MIA out. MIA - LHR- MAN return. Saved loads booking a fly drive package. £2100 inc full size SUV for 3 weeks (2 x Adult 2 x Child 12 & 15). Asked about just flight only to see if we could get a better deal with the car elsewhere... flight only was more! Go figure 🤔
We’re old hands at Florida but first time into Miami airport. No problems thus far. It’s all extremely doable. It saves a fortune and means you can be as flexible as you want. Get looking, get booking and enjoy!
dreamcatcher is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 18, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
jojo_3596
Imagineer

We are in Clearwater now, have done 2 nights POR then 7 nights BC with tickets and DDP and coming to end of 7 nights in Clearwater staying at Marriot suites on Sandkey. Flew indirect with virgin/ delta all booked through ocean Florida. Completely hassle free. Wouldn't hesitate to use them again. We are 2 adults 3 kids btw!
Endless Summer 2023
jojo_3596 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 18, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
sparkles18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by dreamcatcher View Post
Sounds great . hope you have a great holiday, please let me know how you get on with it all xx
Arrived yesterday and it all went smoothly. We booked our flights with Netflights in January 2018 for a bargain price of £368pp, flying Manchester-Heathrow- Miami with return flight via Madrid.

First flight left 15 mins late but made it to Heathrow on time. AA staff were directing the 9:45 Miami flyers straight into the bus.
Did security again and had enough time to get some sandwiches from Pret before boarding.

AA flight was really good and really quick, only 8 hours and 20 mins!

Immigration was quick and easy using the machines and then took the MIA Mover to collect the car.

Booked through BA when they had their 7 days for the price of 5 deal and went straight to the garage as I'm an Avis Preferred customer. Our name wasn't on the board as we had arrived nearly an hour before I had booked the car for but we were dealt with quickly and had a great upgrade too for no extra cost😀

Took a couple of hours to get to Naples and drove through some torrential rain along Alligator Alley.

Hotel is lovely with Tin City a 2-minute walk away. Waiting for our son to wake up so we can walk to 5th Avenue for breakfast.

Sorry it's turned into a mini trip report... but so far it’s been a great start to holiday and all the research I've done and doing it diy has definitely paid off.
sparkles18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 18, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamcatcher
slightly serious Dibber

Lovely Sparkles 18 , glad to hear all is great and thankyou so much for sharing all the info xx Cant wait to get started on our planning xx Enjoy the rest of your hols xx
dreamcatcher is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List