Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 Aug 18, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
gh4
Trading Disney Pins

First time trip to Orlando

Hi I am planning a trip to Orlando 2019 with my wife, and my 2 children under 14 years of age I have spent many an hour checking different sites and I am more confused than ever.
I would like some advice on where to stay as I don't want to drive and would like to visit most of the Disney parks, Universal Seaworld & a day or 2 shopping somewhere we could walk for dinner or local shops I know I not wanting much lol .
I was in Orlando 16 years ago and stayed in Ramada Maingate but would like something a bit better for kids, I would be very greatfull for any help and advice
gh4 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
londondisney
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Hi gh4, if you can afford it why not stay onsite at either Disney or universal for some days?If not, then the only time we went to Florida without a car we stayed in the International Drive area.You are within easy walk of many eateries plus you can use the trolley to go to the shops. This was before the rise of uber, so it may be cheaper, or more convenient with 2 kids to use that.
Hope that helps.
Old 19 Aug 18, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
candycat75
Imagineer

candycat75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hi and welcome
Old 20 Aug 18, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
a11mark
Imagineer

a11mark's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Hello and welcome to the dibb. As a poster above mentioned, if you can afford it, I can recommend staying onsite. I've stayed onsite with Disney 3 times, twice without a car. staying onsite will allow you to use free shuttle service to any of the Disney parks. Universal is surrounded by hotels and you can either walk or get a boat to the parks. obviously because its onsite and next to the parks you will pay a lot more than if you stayed in a villa, or near the I-4.

With Lyft and Uber services getting around Florida is a lot easier and affordable, you can still use the Lynx buses. But Lyft and Uber are more convenient.

Its all down to your personal preference really. I'd start off by asking yourself, which parks you'll spend more time in? start with that then look into the resorts around whichever one you prefer.

I can recommend CSR, POR and AKL for Disney, Im not familar with Universal Resorts but thats not to say I'd never look into it. We just prefer Disney
Old 20 Aug 18, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Trueblue88
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi and welcome to the Dibb
Trueblue88 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 18, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi lots of nice places both on and off site, on sight is very easy to get around plus the benefits of early or late hours. Just to say we have stayed onsite last 5 times and always have a car, driving is really easy and for £350/400 car not a lot of money overall
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 18, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Like others here I would recommend staying on site at WDW if you can!

I refuse to drive in the USA, so I always stay on site with a car. These days it tends to be at a Value resort (Pop is my preference), which are much cheaper than the Moderates/Deluxes. Stay on site means that you can use the Magical Express bus to get between the airport MCO and your WDW resort, and be able to use the Disney buses to get from your resort to the parks/Disney Springs.

To get to non Disney places I use Uber, which is easy and cheap to use in Orlando.

If there are 4 of you and you want to get the Express passes for your Universal visit, you could also look into spending a night or two at a Universal resort (RPR, HRH and Portofino Bay) which offers free Express passes for your stay!

Edited to add: Welcome to the Dibb!
Old 24 Aug 18, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
gh4
Trading Disney Pins

Thank you for your help, where would you recommend to stay on i drive
gh4 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 18, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
gh4
Trading Disney Pins

Thank you all for your great advice I notice not many places do a breakfast which was handy when I last visited I just want to do as much as we can when we go as I said I would go every couple off years but that was 16 years ago and my kids are growing up fast so want it to be as good as I remember and let them see what I seen and what they stare at in the photo albums so all advice is really helpfull
Old 24 Aug 18, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
shabbadoof
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by gh4 View Post
Thank you all for your great advice I notice not many places do a breakfast which was handy when I last visited I just want to do as much as we can when we go as I said I would go every couple off years but that was 16 years ago and my kids are growing up fast so want it to be as good as I remember and let them see what I seen and what they stare at in the photo albums so all advice is really helpfull
If it's breakfast you want then I recommend the Comfort Suites just outside Disney
tripadvisor/Hotel_...e_Florida.html

Free Parking, VERY Close to Disney, easy to Universal / Seaworld etc but most importantly it includes FREE BREAKFAST everyday!
shabbadoof is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List