Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Aug 18, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
MargaretMouse
VIP Dibber

Dog with pancrititis

Hi my, poor dog has pancrititis again, she also suffer with IBD. She is, eating small amounts and her stools have firmed up, but she is still unwell,she has a low fat diet of Turkey and Mash Potato. I just wondered if any of your dogs have this problem any tips or advice. Our Vet has just put her on a high dose of steriods and a lot of people are saying steriods cause pancrititis, any help or advice, I’m so worried we are going away in two weeks.
Old 20 Aug 18, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Redsox77
Very Serious Dibber

Hi, yes my dog had a bout of this after getting bloat and having a massive operation. It felt like it was never ending and feeding time was a nightmare. We’ve now got her on hypoallergenic biscuits and butchers tripe and that sorts it out fine. The biscuits cost the earth through the vets but cheaper through viovet online. I kept a diary of all events (because she also had a vitamin deficiency at one point and needed injections too) which the vet found useful. We had previously had her on a diet of chicken and potato after the bloat and for some bizarre reason she went completely allergic to chicken. It went from life saving food to the point of complete intolerance very quickly. So purina hypoallergenic food and butchers tripe only now. No treats or other food stuffs at all. Wishing you all the best as I know how stressful this is.

Edited at 09:26 PM.
Redsox77 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 18, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
MargaretMouse
VIP Dibber

Hi, Thanks for your quick reply, my dog has been on so many different, prescription food and none has worked, this is why we tried Turkey and Potato, she also has so many allergies, which makes this so much harder. It so hard as we are away in 15 days to Florida and the Lady looking after her, has no real understanding of the disease.
Old 20 Aug 18, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
lindaj
Imagineer

My cat, who is a Maine Coon, had just had severe pancreatitis, complicated by the fact she is also diabetic. The pancreatitis was so severe the results were off the scale and in the end they scanned her and said they thought it was pancreatic cancer. They opened her up and were convinced it was cancer and with secondaries in the stomach lining, however on biopsy it wasn't, it was severe inflammation due to the pancreatitis. She was in the vets for over three weeks and was refusing to eat or cooperate and her diabetes was really out of control so they suggested I have her home and treat her myself with high doses of antibiotics and steroids and with in one week she was back to eating normally and more like her old self. It took a further month of steroids and antibiotics but she came through it and is now back to her normal self and her diabetes is well controlled again. I had given up hope at one stage and I thought I was going to have to decide to put her to sleep but my vet wasn't willing to give up on her and she was in touch with me every day, took regular blood tests at home where my cat was more relaxed and now I have my old cat back. I know some people do not approve of steroids but without them my cat would have died. I hope your dog has a speedy recovery and never give up.
Old 20 Aug 18, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
MargaretMouse
VIP Dibber

Hi, Thanks for ltwllimg me, about your cat, I have been so worried about my dog being on steriods and quite a high dose too. She is going to be on them for five weeks while we are away. I have read so many things about people saying steriods, giveyour dog pancrititis, so I went into severe panic mode. It has put my ind a bit more at ease.