Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 29 May 18, 06:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
TDR for ride wimps

Queen of Team Wimp reporting!

At WDW my limit is something like POTC or Soarin’ (although I had a wobble last time with Soarin’ and chickened out!). Don’t do BTMR or Splash and not even SDMT. Yes, I know...!

TDR seems to have lots of gentle rides.

Can I ask about 20,000 Leagues? It looks very gentle. Also the Nemo one looks OK. Is it a less bumpy Star Tours? Haven’t done Star Tours as I suspect it would make me feel queasy.

I know the Nemo one used to be Stormrider which looked a bit more bumpy but I think this version may be better for me?

Not touching Raging Spirits (I avoid the DLP one) but what is the Indy ride like? Any drops?
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 18, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

20,000 leagues is very gentle. You ride in a submarine which seats about 6 or 8 people. There's plenty of space so it isn't at all claustrophobic but I did find it very warm.
Nemo opened the day after we left so I can't help with that one other than to confirm that it's a simulator.
Indiana Jones is the same kind of ride as Dinosaur at Animal Kingdom but much smoother. I don't like Dinosaur but I was fine with Indy.
I didn't go on Raging Spirits because of the inversion but DH did and he thought it was very tame - enough that I might give it a try if we are ever lucky enough to return.
Have you considered Journey To The Centre of the Earth? It's a bit like Test Track but with more of a story to it. I'd put myself in Team Wimp-ish and loved it.
Even if you remain firmly in Team Wimp you'll find loads to enjoy in both parks. The shows and parades in particular are quite spectacular and although lots of the rides sound the same as their WDW counterparts they are often actually a bit different.
Old 1 Jun 18, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Are there drops in Indiana Jones or Journey to the Centre of the Earth? I hate drops particularly!

What about POTC? I can handle the 3 drops on
the DLP one but I have to psyche myself up. WDW was so mild in comparison I didn’t notice the drop!
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 18, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Are there drops in Indiana Jones or Journey to the Centre of the Earth? I hate drops particularly!

What about POTC? I can handle the 3 drops on
the DLP one but I have to psyche myself up. WDW was so mild in comparison I didn’t notice the drop!
I don't think Indiana Jones had drops, it was more being shaken about. Journey to the Centre of the Earth did have drops, but not big ones. It's well themed, with lots to look at.
POTC I honestly can't remember. I think it was more akin to WDW than DLP. The way the ride starts is a bit different to WDW but not in a bad way.
It's so difficult to assess what other people might cope with isn't it. My wimpishness relates to things that spin or invert because they make me feel dizzy and sick, and simulators have a similar effect. Drops don't bother me at all so I don't tend to take too much notice of them. Sorry if that's not very helpful!
Old 2 Jun 18, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Caroian
Imagineer

I'm pretty certain that POTC in Tokyo just has the one drop.

My six year old was fairly wimpy but was fine with Indiana Jones - I can't recall any drops either and would liken it to Dinosaur. He also loved Journey to the Centre of the Earth when he finally plucked up the courage to go on. You will see the drop because the ride is inside the volcano at DisneySea but the drop part runs outside. Sadly this means you'll hear the screams but I'd encourage you not to let it put you off - the drop is actually fairly gentle (like Test Track on a downward slope) and the ride is fabulous.

20,000 leagues is definitely fine - it took us most of our first ride to realise that the controls in front of you allow you to move a light around to shine on things! Nemo should also be ok. It's not like Star Tours at all. It's a much bigger theatre for starters. Simulators often make me feel ill (I need medication to manage Star Tours) but Nemo was fine without medication. A fastpass is advisable though, as the queues really seem to build!
Caroian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List