Notices
Itineraries Post your Trip Itineraries here.

Old 21 Jul 18, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Shipdog
Trying for More Ears

Just starting to plan - with 14 Day Disney pass

Hello

We’ve just booked our Disneyworld holiday for May next year and would like some pointers on creating itinerary please.

There are 6 of us going. Me and my husband, 2 kids, (girl age 7 and boy age 5) then my mum and my sister, who is in a wheelchair.

We are staying at Port Orleans French Quarter for 14 nights and have a 14 day pass for Disney.

We think we could easily just spend all of our days at Disney, with some rest days in between, but just wondered if Universal is worth paying the extra ticket costs? Me and my sister are Harry Potter fans but not sure if mum and husband and young kids will be bothered. So potentially we could find a way to get to a universal alone (finding wheelchair friendly transport as we don’t have a car) and mum, hub and kids go somewhere else.

As it’s our first visit as a family - do you think Cape Canaveral should wait for when the kids are older (if we luckily ever get to go again)? From memory it was a fair journey so would be a full day out?

Also how many rest days did u plan in? I know it’s a while away but I’d like to sort fast passes so get a few days locked down.

Finally- are character meals worth it? We’ve got a quick dining plan so won’t get any in with our dining package, and they seem quite expensive. But I know some people see them as the ultimate magical experience.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice xxxxx

Edited at 09:08 AM.
Shipdog is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 18, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
halloweenbaby2
VIP Dibber

Hello there

First up I'd start reading some trip reports as they are full of info.
When we first went my children were 4 & 6, I decided not to do Universal as although the older one would get on some things I didn't think it was fair to have the younger one to have to do a lot of waiting around so I left it until our return trip 2yrs later and we could all enjoy most things as a family.

Although your there for 2wks you'll probably still not have enough time to do everything Disney has to offer let alone go to the coast and Universal ( you can fit them in but you'll be running around like headless chickens and won't see a lot ) - your more than likely to be really tired on travel day so wouldn't book anything for the evening ( we tend to hit the pool, eat then collapse into bed ), day 2 is often a very early start due to jet lag but you may find your getting tired in the afternoon and may end up not doing much in the evening.

Hope this helps.
halloweenbaby2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 18, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
AliceCooper9
Apprentice Imagineer

For your first trip you could definitely just do Disney for the whole time.

14 Nights I think you will get 12.5 days in the parks with the first day travelling and last day packing etc.

So if you did something like
2 Days AK, EP, HS,
2 Half days Water parks
4 Days MK.
The rest of the time rest /Springs or revisit what you missed.

Universal Studios if you need to do it you could fit it in somewhere.
Universal HP is amazing but it is very expensive with the tickets and taxis etc.
We did US on our second trip.

Cape Canaveral I think is a full day trip. I have done some researching on it I think it would suit teenagers more. I asked the kids (6,8) did they want to go to a space museum or spend another day in MK. You can guess the answer. So I am postponing that one for a few years.

We are staying at the POFQ and have upgraded to the full Disney dining with TS. Character dining is a must do for us. I would upgrade if you can. You will miss the some of the Disney magic without it.

Whatever you decide to do I am sure you will a great time!
AliceCooper9 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 18, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Shipdog
Trying for More Ears

Hello
Thanks so much for your reply.
I've seen on here that it costs approx £14 per adult and £3 per child to upgrade plans. So about £850 for our party. Do you think it's worth doing? I guess if we paid for a few more special meals out of pocket it would soon mount up...
How do you upgrade- is it best to do with agent we've booked with, or can it be done another way- and which is cheapest?

Thanks so much for your advice- Food for thought!
Old 22 Jul 18, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
AliceCooper9
Apprentice Imagineer

Have a look at the menus/reviews/prices before deciding.

disneyworld.disney.go/en...tions-accepted

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/menus.php this has prices.

Advantages of TS restaurants, characters, special themes, guaranteed seat + air conditioning, minimal queuing and you get some time out. Also some dining packages like the Fantasmic dining package you get good seat and view of show.

We paid £670 for 2 adults 2 kids for 16 nights.
£850 does seem a lot but for all the advantages it is well worth it.

We upgraded our plan when booking direct with Disney.
Contact your TA I am sure they can advise.
AliceCooper9 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 18, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Shipdog
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Thanks very much for your help. Am getting so giddy and still a long time to go! Sure I will have a ton of other questions as it gets nearer xx
Old 22 Jul 18, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Gillybean08
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

We have only been once, October last year, and my advice would be to leave Universal as there really is sooo much to see at Disney. We plan to go in 2020 again and won't include Universal as it will be a 2 week trip and you just don't get the value from the tickets!
We had a then 4 year old who turned 5 and he absolutely loved the character meals. In fact even my 14 year old got into them. The photos are priceless. Also my two boys really appreciated the buffet style help yourself meals. They ate most on these occasions.
As for rest days, yes you will need them, some of our favourite days where water park days. I would include Discovery cove and Sea world if we go again and budget allowed but if not make the most of the Disney waterparks and hotel pool. In the last week we were all so tired and tempers were fraying so I cancelled all plans for the next day and we went to a water park and loved it.
My last tip would be to definitely visit the parks at different times, we found we loved Epcot on an evening more so than during the day. MK is brilliant at all times but AK has a totally different feel at night. Use the pool, resort hop, have an early dinner and then go to a park on an evening, it's lovely. We rode the Frozen ride 3 times, it was a walk on! Enjoy 🙂
Gillybean08 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 18, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather
Imagineer

I also would suggest sticking to Disney this time but you would be able to get a taxi to Universal if you and your sister wanted to - from what I’ve been told Mears have wheelchair friendly vans and the staff at POFQ will help you. Character meals are great - I’m 69 and would really recommend at least one if funds allow! Breakfast is cheaper than dinner and there are lots to chose from! My favourite is 1900 Park Fayre at the Grand Floridian with Characters like Alice and the Mad Hatter, Mary Poppins, Snow White. In Magic Kingdom Crystal Palace has Winnie the Pooh and friends but the best way to decide what would suit your children best would be to check on WDW web site under dining! Have a great time -might see you there; I go on 3 - 24 May and I’ll be the large, elderly, lady on her own, using an ECV!

Edited at 12:00 AM.
Merryweather is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 18, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Shipdog
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Thank u- we’ll just miss u. But thanks for ur advice. Have a fab time ☺️