Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 23 Jul 18, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
avabear
Helping Mickey

First Cruise - what do I need to know?

Hi, we’re going on our first ever cruise next October. Disney Dream, 4 nights, Halloween themed Bahamian. We’re me, hubby and DS (10),

What do we need to know? Advice, what not to miss, tips etc ... we’ve got a room (deluxe family ocean view with verandah), midship, deck 7, cat 4C.

For seasoned cruisers, what do you wish you’d known/done the first time round?
avabear is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 18, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
disneygirl1985
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
We did our first Disney cruise earlier this year onboard Wonder to Alaska and absolutely love it. I am sure you will have an amazing time in October.

Every Disney cruise has a facebook group I would suggest joining it, it is a great place to learn more about your specific cruise and your fellow guests. We learnt so much through our group, gained access to mixology classes and Group Paolo that we would not have got as first time cruisers ourselves. This is also where fish extenders (FE) get organised. For Facebook we even made friends which we are still talking to today

When you do your online checkin, new guests are last to do so make sure to focus on character breakfasts, princess meet and greets, Paolo brunch etc as they sell out first, then do your port adventures.

Most of all have fun planning, if you don't get it in advance the likelihood is you may get to book it once onboard.
Old 23 Jul 18, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Licoricelover
Excited about Disney

What I wish I'd known on my first Disney cruise.
That it's very very addictive.
We love the verandahs - great for sitting watching the sea at night with the odd glass of wine.
If you want to do any excursions do your research first so you can book when your window is open as some of the popular ones do book up quickly.
We were supposed to be on the Halloween cruise last year but it was cancelled at the last minute due to hurricane Irma.
Advice. Just enjoy every moment
Licoricelover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 18, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
avabear
Helping Mickey

Originally Posted by disneygirl1985 View Post
We did our first Disney cruise earlier this year onboard Wonder to Alaska and absolutely love it. I am sure you will have an amazing time in October.

Every Disney cruise has a facebook group I would suggest joining it, it is a great place to learn more about your specific cruise and your fellow guests. We learnt so much through our group, gained access to mixology classes and Group Paolo that we would not have got as first time cruisers ourselves. This is also where fish extenders (FE) get organised. For Facebook we even made friends which we are still talking to today

When you do your online checkin, new guests are last to do so make sure to focus on character breakfasts, princess meet and greets, Paolo brunch etc as they sell out first, then do your port adventures.

Most of all have fun planning, if you don't get it in advance the likelihood is you may get to book it once onboard.
Ooh that’s really useful, thanks! Have looked for the group and applied to join, whats a Fish Extender and Group Paolo?
Old 24 Jul 18, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Seasoned cruiser here ... the one thing I'd wish I'd known is what an expensive hobby it becomes!

Seriously, don't overthink it and don't over plan. Your first cruise should be a great experience and not one that involves planning for every eventuality or experience on offer.

I would start with your 10yr old and encouraging attendance of the Oceaneers Club/Lab. You Tube some videos for him of the Club and Lab (they are joined so children can go freely and safely from one place to another). Use it as a 'punishment' if you have to - we told our wizards (g/children) that if they didn't do X,Y or Z (tidy their rooms etc), we would limit their time in the club. By the time the cruise came round, they had the idea that the club was the BEST place to be so were both happy to go in and spend all day there (we had to drag them out at times for dinner)!

Join the FB group for your cruise - let me know the dates and I'll find it for you.

On a 4 night, you won't get much opportunity to explore the ship, so I wouldn't book any excursions. in Nassau, just get off and take a walk through the straw market into the town. Have a bimble up and down, maybe go to the pirate museum, then come back and enjoy the ship.

Take full advantage of the free things - Goofy's crazy golf on top deck, Midship detectives, cinema (bring your own popcorn to save money) and craft events onboard.

Have fun, don't plan too much.

Have a read of the sticky thread at the top of this forum, it may help answer a few questions you have.

Joa
Old 24 Jul 18, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
avabear
Helping Mickey

Originally Posted by Licoricelover View Post
What I wish I'd known on my first Disney cruise.
That it's very very addictive.
We love the verandahs - great for sitting watching the sea at night with the odd glass of wine.
If you want to do any excursions do your research first so you can book when your window is open as some of the popular ones do book up quickly.
We were supposed to be on the Halloween cruise last year but it was cancelled at the last minute due to hurricane Irma.
Advice. Just enjoy every moment
Haha we kind of expect it to be addictive, can’t imagine that it’s something we’ll be satisfied with just doing once!

I can’t wait to sit on the verandah and relax, and will definitely try to be on the ball with excursions!
Old 24 Jul 18, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by avabear View Post
Ooh that’s really useful, thanks! Have looked for the group and applied to join, whats a Fish Extender and Group Paolo?
Fish extenders are like a secret santa between people in your cruise group. It can get VERY expensive and take a lot of luggage space so be wary before signing up for it.

They are explained in more detail in the sticky thread at the top.

Palo is an adult only restaurant onboard costing $30 pp. It's an upscale Italian offering brunch and dinner. Group Palo just refers to a group booking made within the FB cruise group. Palo is lovely, but it won't ruin your cruise if you don't do it - remember, it's adults only and it's dress up so no flip flops, shorts, or vests for men. Shoes are a must, not trainers etc.
Old 24 Jul 18, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
avabear
Helping Mickey

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
Seasoned cruiser here ... the one thing I'd wish I'd known is what an expensive hobby it becomes!

Seriously, don't overthink it and don't over plan. Your first cruise should be a great experience and not one that involves planning for every eventuality or experience on offer.

I would start with your 10yr old and encouraging attendance of the Oceaneers Club/Lab. You Tube some videos for him of the Club and Lab (they are joined so children can go freely and safely from one place to another). Use it as a 'punishment' if you have to - we told our wizards (g/children) that if they didn't do X,Y or Z (tidy their rooms etc), we would limit their time in the club. By the time the cruise came round, they had the idea that the club was the BEST place to be so were both happy to go in and spend all day there (we had to drag them out at times for dinner)!

Join the FB group for your cruise - let me know the dates and I'll find it for you.

On a 4 night, you won't get much opportunity to explore the ship, so I wouldn't book any excursions. in Nassau, just get off and take a walk through the straw market into the town. Have a bimble up and down, maybe go to the pirate museum, then come back and enjoy the ship.

Take full advantage of the free things - Goofy's crazy golf on top deck, Midship detectives, cinema (bring your own popcorn to save money) and craft events onboard.

Have fun, don't plan too much.

Have a read of the sticky thread at the top of this forum, it may help answer a few questions you have.

Joa

Thanks! I think I’ve found the group - our cruise is 21st October 2019, Disney Dream.

We’ve already looked up the clubs and our son can’t wait to go 😂 I think our problem will be getting him to do anything else 😂

What are your views on first v second meal sitting? We’re undecided, but booked into the second at the moment as thought it may be more leisurely?
Old 24 Jul 18, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
avabear
Helping Mickey

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
Fish extenders are like a secret santa between people in your cruise group. It can get VERY expensive and take a lot of luggage space so be wary before signing up for it.

They are explained in more detail in the sticky thread at the top.

Palo is an adult only restaurant onboard costing $30 pp. It's an upscale Italian offering brunch and dinner. Group Palo just refers to a group booking made within the FB cruise group. Palo is lovely, but it won't ruin your cruise if you don't do it - remember, it's adults only and it's dress up so no flip flops, shorts, or vests for men. Shoes are a must, not trainers etc.
Since we’re coming from Scotland, I think we’d avoid the FE thing, our luggage is enough of a pain without adding to it! And we have major babysitting issues here (small families) so think we’d probably prefer to dine just the two of us if we got the chance! Date night is a long distant memory. Would probably be happy to meet others for a drink though, will see how it pans out.

Thanks so much for your advice - much appreciated!
Old 24 Jul 18, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Thanks! I think I’ve found the group - our cruise is 21st October 2019, Disney Dream.

We’ve already looked up the clubs and our son can’t wait to go 😂 I think our problem will be getting him to do anything else 😂

What are your views on first v second meal sitting? We’re undecided, but booked into the second at the moment as thought it may be more leisurely?
Since we’re coming from Scotland, I think we’d avoid the FE thing, our luggage is enough of a pain without adding to it! And we have major babysitting issues here (small families) so think we’d probably prefer to dine just the two of us if we got the chance! Date night is a long distant memory. Would probably be happy to meet others for a drink though, will see how it pans out.

Thanks so much for your advice - much appreciated!
We always do late sitting, but you've got to go with what suits your family. Presume you eat at about 5-6 at home? if yes, then try changing to early (main) dining.

Those on early dining eat then watch the theatre show after and those on late dining watch it while the early people are eating. So nobody misses out - half are early, half are late (or thereabouts).

Don't worry about your son not doing anything else - the club is open from 9am-midnight and they will feed them too. It's not a full blown proper dinner and they don't force them to eat. We made our wizards come out for dinner every night as it was the only time we saw them!

My top tip is to not let him have sign out privileges on this cruise. You can grant over 8s sign outs, but what we find is that those children then congregate in stairwells, run around mindlessly, scream and shout as they run around and are generally pretty obnoxious. Not all, but a lot of them despite their parents thinking the sun wouldn't shine!
Let him experience the club this cruise, then maybe give the freedom for next time.

Make sure you book another cruise or a placeholder while onboard (do it 2nd day if you can before queues get long). It will cost $250 for a placeholder and it's just that, a placeholder for a future cruise. You get some onboard credit, a 10% discount as well as a reduced deposit sometimes.
You have 24 months to use the placeholder (cruise must start within the 24 months). if you don't fancy another one (ha ha), you can cancel and get all of your money back.
You can just avoid the queues and fill in a card, but I always want to walk away with my reference number. Once you've left the ship, you cannot then get the offer.

Did you book direct with DCL?

Edited at 01:46 PM.
Bats is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List