Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 29 Jul 18, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
yellowrose78
VIP Dibber

yellowrose78's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Thunder Feel The Thunder - June/July 2018 - Day 12 Hard Rock Hotel, Universal and Toothsome

Thursday 5th July 2018

We were out really early to get to the Hard Rock Hotel, and hopefully make early park entry. We headed off, however as we were near, our sat nav let us down, we hadn't updated the maps and there was a new road, so we had a bit of a detour. Once we arrived at the hotel, we parked up and headed to check in.

The check in queue seemed to take ages, I really think they should do online check in like Disney does. It took about 40 minutes to get checked in. We knew our room wouldn't be ready, so we left our bags and walked over to Islands of Adventure. I had bought the photo package when it was on special offer, so went to activate that before we started the rides.

First ride of the day was Hulk. I've always bottled out of this one, but since Evie said she wanted to do it, I couldn't use her as an excuse any more. We put our stuff in a locker and headed to the Express queue. We waited about 10 minutes and we were off. Well I absolutely loved it.

We came off it and went straight back on again. Even although Evie protested she hated it, she wanted back on.

We went on Dr Doom next, I've been on this before, but around 16 years ago and remembered loving it. I absolutely hated it. Never again So glad there is no photos on this one.

We went in to Spiderman next, we all love this one. However we had a pretty unpleasant moment in the queue, where an extremely distressed child in a pushchair, who looked around 4 years old, was getting a hard time from his mum. She actually pulled the buggy up and smacked him across the face, everyone was horrified. The child clearly did not want on this ride, it was awful.

We all enjoyed Spiderman.

We walked around, avoiding the water rides, as I didn't want soaked. We were getting peckish so went to get hot dogs, when we were asked for $80 for 4 hot dogs, we told her to cancel the order, and we went and got pretzels and dipping dots. I have always thought Universal's food options aren't that great, and are very expensive.

Once we had finished our early lunch, we went on Kong for the first time. It was when we were in the queue that I seen a girl with a gorgeous Kate Spade handbag, I decided I needed to get that bag

We all enjoyed Kong, and went into the Jurassic Park bit next, we didn't go on this time, we wanted to see the Raptor, but the queue was about 45 minutes and they don't have Express.

We were looking forward to doing the Harry Potter rides as they weren't on Express last time we were there (4 years ago) and the queues were huge.

When we got on Forbidden Journey, I didn't know what to expect and was trying to keep my fit flops on the whole time. During the ride, I started to worry in case there were snakes, so had my eyes shut just in case (I have a massive phobia - this is why I haven't watched the Harry Potter films). This will explain the ride photo Tim said there was a small one, but it would have freaked me out, so glad I had my eyes shut.

We went for a wander around, we didn't fancy Sinbad so skipped that whole area through to the Seuss Landing.

We went on Cat in the hat, then decided we had done everything we wanted in Islands, so headed for the Hogwarts Express.

This is brilliant, love this wee train ride.

When we came out in Universal, we headed for Diagon Alley first, where we went to do Gringotts. There must have been a problem with this ride, because the standby line was going faster than the Express. We must have been in this queue for about an hour, and when we came out of the lift a tour group pushed passed us, I had a few words with the tour leader, who started screaming at me in Spanish. We spoke to a Universal employee who said she would radio up to stop them going on the ride as they had been pushing people. But they still got on, it was a waste of time.

Well, I wish I had never gone on this ride, the others had assured me there wouldn't be a snake, I should have asked. Well when the snake came out I was hysterical, I couldn't breathe, and was in some state. I came off the ride in tears, I hated it. My own fault for not checking properly first.

We had had an absolutely brilliant morning, but the altercation with the tour group and the snake incident had really put a downer on it.

We headed round to the Simpsons which was brilliant as usual, then we went to Men in Black. I won, using the red button

After this, we could see the weather was changing so left the park and headed to the hotel to see if our room was ready. It was, but unfortunately the weather was awful so we couldn't use the pool. We chilled out for a wee while. I went down to Emack & Bollio and got us a couple of Starbucks lattes. Afterwards, we got freshened up and changed and when the rain was off, went back out.

We were going to Toothsome for dinner, it was about 4pm.

The menu in here was really good, I ordered meatloaf and Tim had chicken, the kids had burgers.

We really enjoyed our main courses, they weren't huge portions, but we wanted desserts so that was fine with us.

The character came round (Penelope I think). She was really good and chatted to us for a while.

The dessert menu was amazing, it was so hard to choose.

We stupidly went for one each, not realising they would be so big.

None of us finished them They were amazing though.

We headed into the shop after our meal.

We never bought anything as we were going back into Universal, but everything looked awesome.

We left and headed back into the park.

Rip Ride Rocket was first, again I usually dodge this, but had no choice as I couldn't be shamed by the kids I was really scared, I chose I will Survive by Gloria Gaynor as my song The kids were laughing at me about the state I was in.

I absolutely loved it, the climb is the worst bit, and I'm so glad I did it, the photo is awful

We headed for the Minions next, which we enjoyed.

We thought we'd give Jimmy Fallon's ride a go next, we've heard many mixed reports. I thought all the queuing and stuff to get in was a bit of a pain, but we really loved the ride. It was good seeing everything that we had seen in New York the week before, we loved it.

When we came out, the parade was on, we seen a bit then headed for Fast and Furious.

We thought Fast and Furious was naff, it was so cheesy it was unreal. I suppose the films are too, but we won't rush back on this one.

The Mummy was next, I haven't been on this before, but it was brilliant.

When we came off, we decided we'd pretty much been on everything we wanted, and headed back to the hotel, it looked like the rain was coming again too.

We spoke about going to Volcano Bay the next day instead of Universal, so I went to ask at Reception what time it opened, and paid our car parking in cash.

We went out to see the pool area, and the rain was getting heavy so we headed to our room and got sorted for the morning.

We had a brilliant day, we managed so much with the Express passes.

Movieland Hotel IDrive - 2002 / POR - 2012 / 3 Weeks at OKW - 2014 / Villa at Highlands Reserve - 2016 / New York and Orlando - 2018 / Caribbean Cruise MSC Seaside - June 2019 / Orlando Covid cancelled 2020 and 2021 / Planning for Orlando 2024

Edited at 05:35 PM.
yellowrose78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 18, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishnellie
VIP Dibber

scottishnellie's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Mobile

Oh Angela! Your ride photos did make me howl (sorry!). But you poor thing getting a fright at the snake 😳. No wonder you were shook up. Catching up on the days you’ve posted and loving it 😃 xx

Helen xx

Here's a link to all my previous trip reports since 2015
trip report list by year
scottishnellie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 18, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinderella
Imagineer

You got so much covered 👍
Cinderella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 18, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Wow, both IOA and universal in one day. Hulk and Rip Ride Rockit. Well done you. I don't think I ever want to do rip ride rockit ever again, I hate that vertical climb. Dinner at toothsome looked yummy. Those puddings!

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 18, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
yellowrose78
VIP Dibber

yellowrose78's Reviews
Originally Posted by scottishnellie View Post
Oh Angela! Your ride photos did make me howl (sorry!). But you poor thing getting a fright at the snake 😳. No wonder you were shook up. Catching up on the days you’ve posted and loving it 😃 xx
The ride photos are shocking eh I am chuffed to bits I have done a lot of things this holiday that I never thought I would have. I never thought I would have done Rip Ride Rocket though Glad you're enjoying it, thanks

Originally Posted by Cinderella View Post
You got so much covered 👍
I can't believe we managed all that in one day, thanks for reading

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Wow, both IOA and universal in one day. Hulk and Rip Ride Rockit. Well done you. I don't think I ever want to do rip ride rockit ever again, I hate that vertical climb. Dinner at toothsome looked yummy. Those puddings!
We never intended to, we were going to do them over two days, but we were getting through so much so quick with the express passes, it was fab. I didn't like that climb either, I was so glad when that bit was over! Toothsome was brilliant, if I go back, I'll go starving and have puddings only, they were so good

Movieland Hotel IDrive - 2002 / POR - 2012 / 3 Weeks at OKW - 2014 / Villa at Highlands Reserve - 2016 / New York and Orlando - 2018 / Caribbean Cruise MSC Seaside - June 2019 / Orlando Covid cancelled 2020 and 2021 / Planning for Orlando 2024
yellowrose78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 18, 06:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
You guys definitely got most of Universal done in a day well done!
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 18, 07:14 AM  
Link to this Post
yellowrose78
VIP Dibber

yellowrose78's Reviews
Originally Posted by Excitedx4 View Post
You guys definitely got most of Universal done in a day well done!
It was great with the express passes

Old 3 Aug 18, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Toothsome looks great, I'd love to go sometime.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
yellowrose78
VIP Dibber

yellowrose78's Reviews
Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Toothsome looks great, I'd love to go sometime.
It was amazing, I wish we went back another night before we went home

Old 3 Aug 18, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

What a great day! Well done for going on new rides, I wish I was that brave . That's a shame you didn't enjoy the Gringotts ride, it must be awful for you having such a terrible fear.

Those puddings at Toothsome -they look amazing

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List