Closed Thread

Old 3 Aug 18, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Bobbins
Imagineer

Bobbins's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by paulfoel View Post
Favourite at the moment is a nice 4 bed, lake view, pool and spa at lake berkeley. £1600 for 18 nights.

Seen a few 3 beds for less - ranging from £1200 for the same time.
I'd have thought you could get much lower than that - once you get past the middle of August and the American kids go back to school most of those villas are going to be sitting empty for months.
Bobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
steve@mac155.f
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Originally Posted by Bobbins View Post
I'd have thought you could get much lower than that - once you get past the middle of August and the American kids go back to school most of those villas are going to be sitting empty for months.
Why would the villas be sitting empty for months it's not just school holidays that are popular it is a year round destination.

Steve
steve@mac155.f is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 18, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Perhaps owners would rather leave their villas empty than subsidise strangers holidays. It's possible the more expensive villa owners are happy to rest their villas.

Edited at 07:56 PM.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 18, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Bobbins
Imagineer

Bobbins's Reviews
Originally Posted by steve@mac155.f View Post
Why would the villas be sitting empty for months it's not just school holidays that are popular it is a year round destination.

Steve
I would say (based on browsing a LOT of villas on HomeAway for our trip next year) most villas have very low occupancy.
Bobbins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 18, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Bobbins
Imagineer

Bobbins's Reviews
Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Perhaps owners would rather leave their villas empty than subsidise strangers holidays. It's possible the more expensive villa owners are happy to rest their villas.
I'm not sure about the subsidising holidays bit - it costs a small fortune to have a villa sitting empty, so if the owner can cover the extra cost and wear-and-tear of having someone in the villa then it makes business sense to do that.

But for villa rental it seems to be emotional rather than business for a lot of owners and it's certainly true that a lot of owners don't seem bothered whether they rent their property out or not. Which is fair enough - it's their choice.

Some owners renting through tour operators must be being paid buttons. My brother-in-law did it with his villa years ago but stopped as he said he was breaking even at best as wear and tear was high from people who have no connection to the owner.

Edited at 02:30 PM.
Old 5 Aug 18, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

Just FYI. kids in the northeast USA (where a good bit of the population resides) don't return to school in to very late August (like the 31 st) or early September (up to the 10-12th). Lots of people vacation towards the end of August.

And remember, Americans seldom book vacations a year in advance. For me, two months is a long lead into a WDW trip. I have only once not gotten the room on property I wanted through WDW but was able to get the last day through Expedia. I think I was planning 2 weeks out of MLK weekend.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 18, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I think there's the point that if people have a last minute cheapie they might value the villa less . Owners whose villa is also a second home rather than pure investment might prefer not to book with the bargain basement brigade.
Whilst maintainance costs are the same year round , the cost of having someone in to check the villa before and clean after check out also adds cost to an otherwise void week. If making a few quid rather than nothing is important to the owner, they are likely to not be the most proactive in better quality finishes and updates that make the difference between an OK villa and a good one too.
I'd rather stay at a villa that is loved rather than viewed in terms of dollars and cents.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 18, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
swiper
VIP Dibber

We have just booked a villa 2 weeks ago ( flying 14-8) we were told our villa was now not available ( we thought this would happen) anyway we have a lot of needs and wants.
We have got one on veranda palms and we have paid £1500 a week this includes spa heat!
Family of 4.
So 6 bed. (3 masters) Conservation view. No discount offered.
But the house is beautiful!

Edited at 02:10 PM.
swiper is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 18, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Bobbins
Imagineer

Bobbins's Reviews
Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
Just FYI. kids in the northeast USA (where a good bit of the population resides) don't return to school in to very late August (like the 31 st) or early September (up to the 10-12th). Lots of people vacation towards the end of August.

And remember, Americans seldom book vacations a year in advance. For me, two months is a long lead into a WDW trip. I have only once not gotten the room on property I wanted through WDW but was able to get the last day through Expedia. I think I was planning 2 weeks out of MLK weekend.
Didn't know that about their holidays - I thought the last of them went back mid August. We went last 2 weeks of August a couple of years ago and it was (relatively) quiet - and it wasn't as unbearably hot as I expected either.

If you look at villa calendars then they start to free up mid-Aug often with little else beyond that until you get to Christmas week.

Not sure about the notice either - DW has been following one US owner on Facebook and she's been saying how booked her villa is (and it is) since the beginning of the year.
Old 5 Aug 18, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

My friend in Idaho's (so Midwest not Northwest) kids go back early September.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread