Day 5
Day 6
Day 7
Day 8
Day 9
Day 10
Day 11
Day 12

Writing this a week before we get to Disney as I don't think we'll have time once we are out there and with 48 hours before we leave our house time is running short!

So whats this about?

This is the first of 2 trip reports we will be doing. We'll do a standard one which you can find the pre-trippie for here (I'll add a link to the index when we write it) and this one which will track how and when we trade. Hopefully there will be some top tips for anyone who is thinking about pin trading or is looking for ideas.

DISCLAIMER! This is OUR way after lots of years of pin trading, not THE way, so if anyone has any other top tips they'd like to add as we pin trade, please feel free it'll be great to get something different going.

How we got started

"It all started with a mouse" and I don't just mean the parks. Back in 2009 we collected the alphabet set; it was from that we got a real taste of pin trading. We had dabbled before - me as far back as the 90s when pin trading wasn't a thing, but pin collecting was - but 2009 was when we discovered hidden mickey pins. We had collected the full alphabet after noticing them on cast member lanyards without knowing anything about them; on our last day we only had Mickey to go and it was such good fun when we spotted him we came home and started reading more about collecting and so an obsession was born.

Hidden Mickey Pins

These are pins which can only be purchased in hidden bags a year after release. Prior to this, you can only find them on cast member lanyards. For example, this year's pins which will be trading for are:

These will only appear on cast member lanyards and cannot be purchased this year. We will be buying some of the hidden bags though, in case we get anything we are missing.

Last year we managed to collect a full complement of hidden mickey pins from cast member lanyards. Prior to this, we only collected sets we liked, but last year's and this year's are all fab so we'll attempting to be doing it again. Here is last year's collection displayed in our pin book (the candy apples not inclusive, they were a set from 2015 which we managed to finish via the hidden pouches we buy for extra pins to trade and in the hope we'll find Happy, but more on that later):

We'd definitely recommend choosing a set to try to complete or a character to hunt for as it adds to the fun of collecting. We have a lanyard of traders and anything we want to keep is not on display so we don't get mixed up. We also trade for everything hidden mickey in the collection we are looking for. This means we get duplicates to trade back, but ensures you don't miss a pin you need. For example, when collecting the macaroon set, we had the light pink about 5 times before we eventually got the darker pink one. We just added it back to the trader lanyard for the next day so it went back into circulation.

Beyond Hidden Mickey Pins

We also collect a set from the hidden bags each year - if there is one we fancy. These come in bags and are around $25 for 5; if you are familiar with collecting stickers for sticker books it is the same principle. We managed to get the full storm trooper set by purchasing just one bag over the minimum amount, but the reveal and conceal Haunted Mansion bat was trickier, so it is luck of the draw.

How to trade

Trading is easy. For those who have never done it before you simply take a look at a cast member lanyard and if there is a pin you fancy give them a pin and they will give the pin you want to you. Simple. They cannot refuse any pin trade (as long as it is a Disney pin, so no Scooby Doos or Harry Potters) and you can trade up to 2 pins each.

Don't forget to look out for pin books and special pin boards which appear. These can be random, but it is sometimes worth an ask, for example at food places where they don't have lanyards for H&S reasons, they may have a board instead? Guest Services and hotels will also have pin boards and these are always worth a look. I'm sure other Dibbers can recommend great trading places beyond that.

Top Tips

Cast members who are earning their ears often have the best pins so it promotes guest interaction.
Early morning pin trading and around shift changes also gives an influx of the best pins.
Look out for managers - last year, we managed to get the star sign Leo from 2012 after we were chatting to manager about missing some of the zodiac ones and he said he'd seen one, popped into the back ad it was Leo - one we needed!
Don't be afraid to ask if there is pin you are looking for, the worst they can say is that they've not seen it.

Our Collection
We have been collecting for a long while now as I mentioned earlier, and have 2 pin books filled with our collection. They are great tools to reminisce about the holiday outside of photos and spark some laughs. In our collection we have pins we have purchased based on resorts we have stayed in, years we have visited, events we have been to and pins we have just liked - usually special edition pins like the AK anniversary pin. This first page includes a set of treasure hunt pins which sent us to different locations around MK solving clues on the way. At each location we had to answer a question in order to be eligible to purchase the pin.

The ones that got away - hopefully not forever

As I have said, we have collected for a while and one our 2014 we started the 7 Dwarfs. This lead to a funny encounter with an angry CM after I pointed out "Dwarf," on her lanyard but as she was small, I think she thought I was calling her names . J often regales this story, but it was funny . Anyway, we have yet to get Happy. He is the only one we need to complete the set and have only ever seen him twice. Once when we didn't trade as we thought we had him (hence our tip earlier to trade for all the pins you think you need as they can always be traded back) and on our last trip on a special pin board. The girl in front of us in the line chose him from the board right in front of our eyes - it is still a funny moment from the trip. I can't tell you how happy we'll be when we eventually find Happy!
We are also missing some other less crucial pins, like a couple of zodiac signs, splash mountain Donald, a perfume bottle and we always trade if we see one of them, but they are yet to be the ones we need - Happy has become our nemesis though.

So what now?
Well, as our trip is nearly here we will start updating this thread on 16th August. We will post where we traded each pin, time and what was traded. I think it'll end up being a nice way for us to remember the details of our holiday even if we don't get anyone else reading. I'll also add if we decide to buy any pins, what we bought and how much.

So if anyone is interested I hope you enjoy reading and following along.

Edited at 01:58 PM.
Niki T is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 18, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
kansaskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

OMG I find pin trading so overwhelming! My hubby and son (who is only 3!) want to do it this trip so we’ll buy some starter kits and have at it but I do find it so overwhelming! I don’t think I’d want to trade the ones I like so I love the idea of keeping some back and having a ‘trading’ lanyard! I’ll enjoy reading along! We’re out there 21-31 so maybe I’ll see you to trade with!?
Old 8 Aug 18, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Niki, that was a great read! Thank you for sharing your hints and tips, and the photos too. We wanted to start trading last year but it just didn't happen, now though I've got a much better understanding of it and am raring to go. I can't wait to start hunting down those Hidden Mickeys.

Other than the Hidden Mickeys do you have a new collection in mind for collecting this year? I think I'm going to go for the Couples set if it's still around (I didn't see it very often last year). We have to finish off the Princess Cameos, Mickey Icons, Best Friends and Cat & Dog sets too.

Have a safe journey when travel day arrives and a wonderful trip, I can't wait to hear all about it.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 18, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneycraft
Imagineer

Disneycraft's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 17

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 3
Following with interest .i have about 100 to trade ,we go on the 18th .here’s mine all framed

Marriott 93, MIC lakefront 94,Holiday inn 96,Rosen plaza 98,Quality inn plaza 02,BVP 06,BVP 07 ,Royal plaza 08,villa 09,villa +RPR 11,villa 12,Contemporary 13,BVP 14 ,POR xmas 15,Beach club 16,Beach Club 18 ,Contemporary 22, Sheraton LBV 23,+ DLP 03,17
Disneycraft is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 18, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneycraft
Imagineer

Disneycraft's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
My nemesis is the Contemporary mural 5 legged goat .hoping I get that this time

Marriott 93, MIC lakefront 94,Holiday inn 96,Rosen plaza 98,Quality inn plaza 02,BVP 06,BVP 07 ,Royal plaza 08,villa 09,villa +RPR 11,villa 12,Contemporary 13,BVP 14 ,POR xmas 15,Beach club 16,Beach Club 18 ,Contemporary 22, Sheraton LBV 23,+ DLP 03,17
Disneycraft is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 18, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
disneygirl1985
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
We love pin trading so much we even put 2 boards up in our Villa, so our guests can have a go without having to splash out to find out if they like it or not. We get many comments on how it gives them the confidence to give it a go before investing in their own pins.

All we ask is they return the lanyard and the same number of pins they borrowed.

I am currently trying to complete the Pixar Party set from a few years ago, and always on the search to finish Hidden Mickeys sets. DH has been looking for the Russel Up Balloon since 2015/6, seen it a few times at the Epcot Trade tables but they are never interested in what we have to offer for a trade.
Old 9 Aug 18, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinderella
Imagineer

Some wonderful pins!
Cinderella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 18, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I was having a dibb break but I’ve Really been looking forward to this.
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 18, 07:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Disneycraft
Imagineer

Disneycraft's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by disneygirl1985 View Post
We love pin trading so much we even put 2 boards up in our Villa, so our guests can have a go without having to splash out to find out if they like it or not. We get many comments on how it gives them the confidence to give it a go before investing in their own pins.

All we ask is they return the lanyard and the same number of pins they borrowed.

I am currently trying to complete the Pixar Party set from a few years ago, and always on the search to finish Hidden Mickeys sets. DH has been looking for the Russel Up Balloon since 2015/6, seen it a few times at the Epcot Trade tables but they are never interested in what we have to offer for a trade.
This is a lovely idea .it actually makes me want to stay in your villa for this alone

Old 10 Aug 18, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
lemon-squeeze
Excited about Disney

Looking forward to some tips for pin trading, love looking at pins and your last report got me more interested so am planning on starting my collection when we go next year and being more confident helping my DD with her trading.
lemon-squeeze is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List