Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 9 Aug 18, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Norway Fjords cruise on P&O

We are off on a week Fjords cruise in May 19 with P&O (Ventura).

This will be our first time on a P&O ship, previously we tried Cunard (hated it) and Celebrity (loved!).

We are stopping at

Stavanger
Olden
Nordfjord (cruising)
Alesund
Bergen

Had a look at the excursions but none of them particularly jump out at me. Has anyone any recommendations?
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 18, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by catherinesian View Post

This will be our first time on a P&O ship, previously we tried Cunard (hated it) and Celebrity (loved!).

We are stopping at

Stavanger
Olden
Nordfjord (cruising)
Alesund
Bergen

Had a look at the excursions but none of them particularly jump out at me. Has anyone any recommendations?
We’ve just done exactly the same itinerary with p and o on the Britannia.

There was NOTHING to do at Olden so I’d defo recommend an excursion there. The ‘town’ that you walk to is basically a couple of souvenir shops and a couple of supermarkets. It’s pretty but I wish we had done an excursion as it was a wasted day.

Bergan was our fav port. Get off the ship early and walk to the funnicular to get up to mount Florian (or whatever it’s called) don’t leave it till later. When we came back down at 11.15 the queue was over an hour long with 15 tour groups waiting in front of that! We just wandered around Bergan it’s beautiful and so much to look at.

Alesund had a lovely market on when we docked so wandered around there and then the town centre. If you are travelling with kids they have an amazing cute boat ride that is FREE but the line gets busy. I’d recommend the blue train tour here. You can buy the tickets as you get off the boat they are sold by the agents on the dock. No need to book through the ship as those passengers get on the same tours. The train things takes you up the mountain so you get a lovely view. I’ll be honest with you, when you dock at Alesund you may be disappointed as it looks very industrial but it’s ok once you get past that bit.

Stavanger is the most beautiful port that we stopped at. You’ve got the old town on one side and then the new town on the other. We did a rib boat ride from here to a fjord and it was great fun! Defo do that if you can / want to.

Also p and o don’t mind you bringing SOFT drinks back on board (unlike celebrity) so we stocked up on water/coke/sprite etc and took it back on board to save some pennies.

Norway is SUPER expensive! You’ve been warned.hahahaha

Edited at 03:32 PM.
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 18, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by arielrocks View Post

There was NOTHING to do at Olden so I’d defo recommend an excursion there. The ‘town’ that you walk to is basically a couple of souvenir shops and a couple of supermarkets. It’s pretty but I wish we had done an excursion as it was a wasted day.

Bergan was our fav port. Get off the ship early and walk to the funnicular to get up to mount Florian (or whatever it’s called) don’t leave it till later. When we came back down at 11.15 the queue was over an hour long with 15 tour groups waiting in front of that! We just wandered around Bergan it’s beautiful and so much to look at.

Alesund had a lovely market on when we docked so wandered around there and then the town centre. If you are travelling with kids they have an amazing cute boat ride that is FREE but the line gets busy. I’d recommend the blue train tour here. You can buy the tickets as you get off the boat they are sold by the agents on the dock. No need to book through the ship as those passengers get on the same tours. The train things takes you up the mountain so you get a lovely view. I’ll be honest with you, when you dock at Alesund you may be disappointed as it looks very industrial but it’s ok once you get past that bit.

Stavanger is the most beautiful port that we stopped at. You’ve got the old town on one side and then the new town on the other. We did a rib boat ride from here to a fjord and it was great fun! Defo do that if you can / want to.

Also p and o don’t mind you bringing SOFT drinks back on board (unlike celebrity) so we stocked up on water/coke/sprite etc and took it back on board to save some pennies.

That's fab thank you so much! Did you like the ship? I'm a bit nervous as when we went on Cunard we hated it (we never really wanted to go on Cunard in the first place but got persuaded by a cheap deal and parents going on the same cruise!) but everyone says P&O is more 'young person' friendly (we are late 20's).

I have been told Norway is ridiculously expensive. A friend went not long ago to Tromso on a golf trip and said to eat out to dinner was a minimum of £100 per head so glad we are on a cruise!

Edited at 03:46 PM.
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 18, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

That's fab thank you so much! Did you like the ship? I'm a bit nervous as when we went on Cunard we hated it (we never really wanted to go on Cunard in the first place but got persuaded by a cheap deal and parents going on the same cruise!) but everyone says P&O is more 'young person' friendly (we are late 20's).

I have been told Norway is ridiculously expensive. A friend went not long ago to Tromso on a golf trip and said to eat out to dinner was a minimum of £100 per head so glad we are on a cruise!
Yes pando are a younger crown for sure. For example on the main deck pool there was some woman singing ‘entertaining’ the crowds. Full of kids as well which didn’t bother us as we took ours. The adult only sections looked nice. A world away from when we cruised with celebrity. The food was fine, nothing amazing but not bad either.

The only port we found to far to walk back to for lunch onboard was Bergen. The rest you can easily hop back onboard and eat, then go off again.
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 18, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We looked at some restaurant prices in Stavanger. Fajitas were £28, steak was £45 and beer was £12.50!
Old 9 Aug 18, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

We are going on a very similar cruise on sunday so I will report back. I’ve booked an excursion for Olden but that’s the only one.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 18, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

We love Celebrity and P&O for different reasons. We did a similar itinerary on Azura a few years back - loved it. We never do tours, just do our own thing. Bergen we did the funicular and the old wooden town near the dock. Olden we got a local bus up to the visitor centre then walked up to the glacier, 6 of us did that for less than it would have cost 2 on the ships tour doing the same thing. Stavanger was great just for exploring ourselves as well.
Old 9 Aug 18, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Toolman
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by arielrocks View Post

I take it that you can't take alcohol on board?
Mrs Toolman is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 18, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Mrs Toolman View Post
I take it that you can't take alcohol on board?
You can take 1L per person on P&O.
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 18, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

We are stopping at

Stavanger
Olden
Nordfjord (cruising)
Alesund
Bergen

our first cruise was P&O to the fjords - slightly different ports but we loved it.
We jut walked out in Stavanger - did the maritime? museum and a walk around.
When we were in Bergen it tipped it down so we didnt even get off.

We would make a couple of sandwiches up at breakfast as it was soo expensive to eat in the ports.

dont miss the spillways - fairly cheesy but fabulous fun!

We were 46/48 at the time and probably at the younger end but we definitely didnt feel out of place and there were certainly lots of younger people too.

We are on Celebrity in November and cant wait for that either!

Enjoy x x
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List