Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Aug 18, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Stitch_Lover View Post
Mr Tom Morrow, how do you check, I booked flights separate from VH as got a good deal. Im checking the app and like you say the flights are coming in over £1,000 is it just watch the app, or is there another way? im going out PE so happy but just once would like to try UC
I only book direct with VA, well I say direct but it's via Quidco for a few bob cashback!

I just log into my account a few times a day, select 'my flights' and go through them to find which ones are showing an upgrade price.

For Sept coming home I failed so we are UC out and PE back. I paid £103 each for the upgrade to UC going out.

There is only 1 seat in UC left for the MCO to LGW leg so there is no chance of that as we are a party of 2.

For Oct going out we are PE and UC back. Thats the one I am watching like a hawk!

I never bother with the 'bid' offer. I want certainty not we will let you know nearer the time!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 18, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
eaglesrest
Apprentice Imagineer

I always think to myself, would I sit in PE, with entertainment, food and booze, instead of UC, if someone paid me £x amount per hour. As a yorkshireman, the answer is almost always 'hell yes'!

That said, we love UC, and will get a miles only flight whenever available, but have only ever paid for it privately once - that was £1200 per person MCO return, which was quite reasonable.
eaglesrest is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 18, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Wow these prices are good. If I could upgrade for £100 per person I’d also go for it. I’ve only ever been offered silly money.
Unfortunately I have to go school holidays and even economy with Virgin is over £4K for 2 adults 2 kids next summer...
Old 13 Aug 18, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
As YT says above, bigger parties and travel dates limit opportunities.

There can be a sting in the tail ref upgrading with Miles. If they overbook it's the Miles passengers who get bumped. Happened to us last year so we upgraded from PE to UC with Miles and got bumped back to PE for 1 leg.

But the compensation was nice.

Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 18, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitch_Lover
Searching for Stitch

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I only book direct with VA, well I say direct but it's via Quidco for a few bob cashback!

I just log into my account a few times a day, select 'my flights' and go through them to find which ones are showing an upgrade price.

For Sept coming home I failed so we are UC out and PE back. I paid £103 each for the upgrade to UC going out.

There is only 1 seat in UC left for the MCO to LGW leg so there is no chance of that as we are a party of 2.

For Oct going out we are PE and UC back. Thats the one I am watching like a hawk!

I never bother with the 'bid' offer. I want certainty not we will let you know nearer the time!
I fly out on the 3rd as a single, currently 5 seats on outward, but none on return, I caught the price at £500 a few months ago, but then jumped back up to £1,000

I check most days, as a seasoned traveller I thought might be secrets , but I guess just have to keep eye on it

Thank you

1979 , 1996 , 1997 , 2000 , 2002 , 2015 , 2015 , 2018 ,1st Solo trip 2018 Booked 2023
Stitch_Lover is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 18, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
robby-99
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by KeithOP View Post
my feelings exactly
Mine too. Exactley what we do.
robby-99 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 18, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Segdude
Very Serious Dibber

Segdude's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
We usually fly PE with Virgin and to be honest I'm quite happy with that. I know DW and DD's would love to "experience" UC at least once. At present I'm waiting for VA to release the return flights for next year to get an accurate price. I then need to make the decision whether to book with VA and take a chance on an affordable upgrade becomes available or go with my current choice of an alternative carrier. My feeling is that as a party of 5 it seems less likely we will get an upgrade that is within my budget.

Y'all take care
Nick
Segdude is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 18, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Segdude
Very Serious Dibber

Segdude's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
We upgrade a lot. I really care not what other people think but I like the Lounge, the bigger space and the better food in UC.
We are always in PE and never Econ from the off.
I have paid £43 to upgrade to UC, £86 and just over £100.
I wont pay more than £150.
I am currently monitoring an Oct 18 date and they want over £1200 at the moment.
About as much chance of me paying that as hiring a car from Dollar.

I lay money I will get it within my self imposed budget.
Tom, may I ask if the prices you quote are single leg? I assume they are.

Y'all take care
Nick
Segdude is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 18, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
Whilst not as great as it used to be, you will not think UC food is airline food very different though of course everything tastes different at 26,000 ft
I haven't flown for over 20 years and have never flown higher than economy so it'll all be different for me, including being in PE on the outbound flight - I'm feeling nervous about it all as I've never flown further than 2 hours on my own before. But I'm also feeling excited
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 18, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Segdude View Post
Tom, may I ask if the prices you quote are single leg? I assume they are.
Hi. Yes the upgrade prices I quoted are per person per leg.