Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 17 Aug 18, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by colette-s View Post
you took cash on holiday🙄 i hope you are aware of the risks 🤣
😂😂...
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Deano123
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Originally Posted by Redsnapper View Post
Actually - these days the amount they charge for fuel is no different from filling up away from the airport - one less thing to think about.

Also the toll pass thing is on by default (Alamo) - just go through the cash lanes if you don't want to use it. From your story I assume you went into a pass lane and tried to pay with cash

I do agree though - own Insurance, not worth the hassle.
We have our car booked with Alamo. Can we ignore the auto toll option and just pay at each toll as we usually do?

We are flying into Sanford so are we likely to hit any tolls that we can't pay with cash? We kept more than enough coins from our last trip.
Deano123 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
If you have some coins for the very small exit ramps where the toll booths are unmanned you can pay cash your entire holiday.
But most booths are manned so you will be able to use dollar bills on those.

I never do anything but cash. I'm not paying an admin fee even if it's cheap!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
choccielover
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Deano123 View Post
We have our car booked with Alamo. Can we ignore the auto toll option and just pay at each toll as we usually do?

We are flying into Sanford so are we likely to hit any tolls that we can't pay with cash? We kept more than enough coins from our last trip.
Yep if you want to
choccielover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Deano123
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
If you have some coins for the very small exit ramps where the toll booths are unmanned you can pay cash your entire holiday.
But most booths are manned so you will be able to use dollar bills on those.

I never do anything but cash. I'm not paying an admin fee even if it's cheap!
We have coins and small bills as well as we only ever use the tolls to and from the airport... no tolls on the way to MK and Universal... or the shopping outlets that we always end up visiting!
Deano123 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 18, 03:28 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Pretty sure the figures for savings on insurance don't stack up. I recently needed to rent a car for two weeks in New Engand. As I still have a UK address and licence I looked at all options. Hertz with no insurance as I can use the insurance on my Florida car equalled standard pay on collection rate. The Hertz UK special prepaid rate included all insurance and was cheaper anyway.

Years ago we had CDW included with DH's Amex card. Even then we realised it was cheaper to just book the UK prepaid rate.

In both cases no extra charge for separate insurance but still cheaper to take the UK prepaid rate. Plus I am another one who wouldn't want to be dealing with a separate insurance company for a major accident.
Old 18 Aug 18, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Jlo31
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
Pretty sure the figures for savings on insurance don't stack up. I recently needed to rent a car for two weeks in New Engand. As I still have a UK address and licence I looked at all options. Hertz with no insurance as I can use the insurance on my Florida car equalled standard pay on collection rate. The Hertz UK special prepaid rate included all insurance and was cheaper anyway.

Years ago we had CDW included with DH's Amex card. Even then we realised it was cheaper to just book the UK prepaid rate.

In both cases no extra charge for separate insurance but still cheaper to take the UK prepaid rate. Plus I am another one who wouldn't want to be dealing with a separate insurance company for a major accident.
I think the only way it would be cheaper is if you booked your package holiday with a 'free car' then bought the uk insurance. You would still probably have to pay taxes to the rental company on arrival though.

As said before it's not for me though as I prefer my insurances included in the deal.
Jlo31 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 18, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post

It very much depends. Last year I took a car in Chelsea Manhattan and cheapest rate I could get was booking directly with Enterprise and buying a £100 annual car hire policy here from carhireexcess.com .
Old 18 Aug 18, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Originally Posted by paulfoel View Post
Off on monday - worse part (apart from immigration queue in MCO - we're TPA this year) is car rental agents.

Over the years I've had some right run-ins with them. They are without a doubt a bunch of con artists. ALWAYS join whatever club for the hire company so you can go straight to garage to avoid them.

I've had it all...

- Even though I said about 5 times, STILL trying to get me to sign to pre-pay for fuel. NO I AM NOT STUPID IT IS NOT CHEAPER I WILL BRING IT BACK FULL. Even had one guy tell me he'd taken it off and he hadn't and realised as I was walking away.

- Toll pass. Another nightmare. As I found out last year, do not believe them when they say "just turn off the transponder in the car" - THEY MAY BE LYING. A lot of toll booths have ANPR now so dont need the transponder. I wondered last year when I was trying to pay and the toll agent was telling me it was OK. Took ages to get money back off AVIS for that one.

- Own insurance. Biggest hassle ever - they seem to hate it. I suppose you've just blown their biggest upsell. I had one guy argue my insurance was not valid. I knew it was. In the end, I told him I didnt care what he thought but I didnt want his insurance either way. He then told me how stupid he thought british people were and swore at me too. He was lucky there was a desk between us!

(Incidentally, I did claim that year. Reversed into mailbox - oops. No hassle at all when I got home. Email from hire company which I sent to insurance company all sorted.)

Anyway, I dread to think how many people get screwed over for insurance they dont need etc.
I think that you might need a holiday.
Old 18 Aug 18, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Redsnapper
Imagineer

The petrol calculation is way off - its laughable.
Redsnapper is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List