Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Aug 18, 07:54 AM  
Link to this Post
JSP
Imagineer

That’s awful!
When I declared my newly diagnosed sciatica it was added as a condition with no charge, they just asked me a couple of questions and then sent out a letter to state that it was now included.
Old 18 Aug 18, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
suesmum
Apprentice Imagineer

suesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
My sister travels a lot so has an annual policy. Admittedly this was four years ago, so things could have changed. Her policy allowed her as many trips as she wanted but each one could not be longer than 31 days. Her first holiday she collapsed due to low blood pressure. Was hospitalised for three days, put on medication and has been fine ever since. She declared this as obviously she had to claim for the treatment. They told her then that she was covered for the rest of that particular holiday but had to pay a premium to allow her to take any more trips that year. They said although an annual policy, each holiday is treated as it would be for a single policy when it came to increases in premium.

I would also note that before they paid out for her claim, they required her to give permission for them to investigate her medical record (not sure if it was just permission to contact GP or what). When she asked why, they said they need to confirm she had declared all previous conditions to allow them to pay out the claim.

So make sure all medical conditions are declared before taking out a policy.
suesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 18, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post

I haven't read through the whole thread so apologies if already been covered. As a family we have some pre existing finds - esp as you seem to have to declare every visit to a Dr for the last 5 years now!

We were advised to swap from annual to single trip policies because of this. The theory was that single trip policies are insurance at a point in time (annual could cover everything is all trips and all condition changes during the year). Since then we have not had to increase the premium or pay extra for any condition changes - we do of course however notify them.

Yes. It can be marginally more expensive. But not much actually as we only insure for the states once a year and multi European ones can come out of free insurance or be covered separately for peanuts comparative to an annual policy which covers the US.

OP. Hope your ankle feels better soon and have a fab holiday !
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 18, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

The alternative if no cover is cancel, and they pick up the tab. You could test their mettle on that one. I suspect they would quickly drop the £60 charge. My policy says travel as normal if not a certain serious condition and occurs after the holiday booked.
It’s difficult to advise without seeing the conditions of the policy and doing some research on FOS view for particular circumstance.

Edited at 09:10 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 18, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
So on that basis no-one would be able to claim costs already paid and unable to claim if the had to cancel before they were due to go away which obviously isn't the case.

Personnally if it was me I would be asking under what clause they could do this and then take it up with the insurance ombusman or going further using unfair terms legalisation
That isn’t what the poster was trying to say. They were saying that travel insurance covers cancellation before travelling. But OP does not want to cancel, they still want to go and want insurance without exclusions and therefore in the light of this new information the insurance company has decided to reprice.

Now £60 for a sprained ankle seems excessive and they are understandably aggrieved by that.

But if you took a more serious example, say they just discovered they had cancer but still wanted to go without exclusions, the insurer definitely would not want to be paying for cancer treatment in the US - what they would do is pay cancellation costs. They will undoubtedly have written the policy to give them this option, otherwise they could find themselves on the hook for millions.

Other than being a bit pricey and obviously other people have had better luck, but I don’t believe the insurer will have broken any rules.
Old 18 Aug 18, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
thefergies
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
That isn’t what the poster was trying to say. They were saying that travel insurance covers cancellation before travelling. But OP does not want to cancel, they still want to go and want insurance without exclusions and therefore in the light of this new information the insurance company has decided to reprice.

Now £60 for a sprained ankle seems excessive and they are understandably aggrieved by that.

But if you took a more serious example, say they just discovered they had cancer but still wanted to go without exclusions, the insurer definitely would not want to be paying for cancer treatment in the US - what they would do is pay cancellation costs. They will undoubtedly have written the policy to give them this option, otherwise they could find themselves on the hook for millions.

Other than being a bit pricey and obviously other people have had better luck, but I don’t believe the insurer will have broken any rules.
Nail on the head, Claudette. Asking for additional premium for changes in medical situation is nothing new and hundreds of threads on here with examples. FOS - unless things have changed recently - do not rule in basic terms on the pricing of insurance (my car insurance was £300 last year, now it's £350 and I'm not happy) as they rightly see that as a commercial decision for people to either accept or reject and take their business elsewhere. But they probably would look at a scenario like this where an existing customer is being asked for additional premium part-way through an annual policy due to a change in circumstance. I'd be gobsmacked if they said the concept of charging additional premium on an annual travel policy was wrong in principle (if they did then by extension they are saying that changing your car midway through the year to a higher-rated model or acquiring valuable pieces of jewellery that should be added to home insurance can never result in additional premium when it clearly has for donkeys years) but they would probably want to ensure that the process has been handled fairly and the insurer has taken full account of all the circumstances before reaching their decision. Also, that the policy explains the need to advise of changes and what that could potentially mean.
thefergies is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 18, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

My dd had a uti 4 weeks before we travelled and I rang the insurer to tell them. They wouldn’t cover her because it was within 4 weeks of travel. I took the risk that she wasn’t going to get another one, however I did only travel to Paris.
Old 18 Aug 18, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
mickchick
Imagineer

mickchick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
If the OP is considering telling his insurers that, rather than pay the increased premium, he will cancel the holiday and then claim for that, he might like to read the small print on his policy first. Most insurers will not pay out for disinclination to travel. There has to be a valid reason, like a doctor advising against travel, or an unexpected change in circumstances like the sudden death or injury of a close relative.
mickchick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
ELLENUT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickchick View Post
If the OP is considering telling his insurers that, rather than pay the increased premium, he will cancel the holiday and then claim for that, he might like to read the small print on his policy first. Most insurers will not pay out for disinclination to travel. There has to be a valid reason, like a doctor advising against travel, or an unexpected change in circumstances like the sudden death or injury of a close relative.
I believe if they are refusing to cover his trip then he is quite within his rights to cancel the trip as he had already booked it with insurance in place. Its them that are refusing to cover, they cannot make him travel uninsured or hold him to ransom.
1992: Days Inn Lakeside 1994:HOliday inn Maingate East 2006:Pop Century 2008:Saratoga Villas 2010:Regal oaks 2013:Indian Ridge Villa 2015:BA Club,Disney,POR,Villa, RPR,2016 United business, Sunset Ridge villa 2019: Virgin, 4 Corners Villa 2023: CSR & 4 Corners Villa again!
ELLENUT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

I had a new condition which (annual policy)insurers would not cover nor would they pay for cancellation unless I was medically unfit as certified by a Dr. As I wasn’t unfit I took insurance elsewhere with everything covered at a very reasonable cost.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List