Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Aug 18, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kevin_cambs_uk View Post
I do not believe it is illegal. Its a fair use of the road, plus what's the point of cycling with you're mates if you cant talk to your mate at the side?
If not illegal, then at the very least it is just discourteous and rude - holding up traffic for ages totally unnecessarily.
Cyclists seem to have become the most discourteous users of the roads.

Cycle lanes have been made all around us after screaming and shouting, but cyclists NEVER actually use them. They just prefer to hold everyone else up while the cycle lane is totally empty.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Mobile

As for the mention of having a bell on your bike, I totally agree with this. The problem is when I am on a cycle path shared with pedestrians you can bet people will have headphones in so are totally oblivious to me ringing the bell and resorting to shouting excuse me!
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

cyclists have as much right to the road as vehicle drivers...

Interesting video here about it from British cycling

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
kevin_cambs_uk
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
You said you thought it was ok for cyclists to ride side by side blocking the road and I replied would you think it ok for walkers to block the road?

Yes, here in the countryside, we have no pavements and narrow roads. In many places it is not possible for cars to move in both directions and there are passing points along the way. I can assure you that a group of walkers (or cyclists) could easily block the road for a very long time if they were not considerate enough to move over. Fortunately locals understand and are considerate of other road users.
Maybe when the walkers walk on the road in a group they do so to ensure motorists slow down as to maybe avoid an accident?

I don’t know as I don’t walk on roads without paths...
2000 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2002 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2003 - Caribbean Beach. 2004 - Forgot where we stayed. 2008 - Pop Century. 2012 - Disneyland Paris for the day. 2015 - Contemporary Resort - 7 days, POFQ - 3 days. 2016 Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea. 2018 Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge

Edited at 11:05 AM.
kevin_cambs_uk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

I’ve no problem with cyclists going 2 abreast as it is legal and means they are treated the same as a car with overtaking clearance. It is frustrating though when you get past them only to come to a junction or set of lights for them to weave their way to the front and you need to do it all over again. That’s something I never used to do when I cycled.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
I’ve no problem with cyclists going 2 abreast as it is legal and means they are treated the same as a car with overtaking clearance. It is frustrating though when you get past them only to come to a junction or set of lights for them to weave their way to the front and you need to do it all over again. That’s something I never used to do when I cycled.
That is my bugbear! Infuriating
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

2 abreast taking up half a lane, im all in for people on bikes , but its like someone steals there comon sense as soon as they get on the saddle.
When i was a kid i could and still can ride between the double yellows or on the yellow line, and my wheels back then were £100 pound each and tubless.
colin39 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post

Cycle lanes have been made all around us after screaming and shouting, but cyclists NEVER actually use them. They just prefer to hold everyone else up while the cycle lane is totally empty.
I don’t think cyclists are the most discourteous users of the road - discourtesy pervades all types of road users, young, old, male, female.
Cylcle lanes are well used where I live with the exception of one main road where the inside lane is riddled with potholes and some of the holes around grids are enough to send a cyclist over the handlebars. The condition of the roads is a major safety issue for cyclists - do you steer to avoid potholes and risk being clipped by a car or hit a pothole? Two cyclists have been killed in my area in the the last 12 months as a result of hitting a pothole.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by colin39 View Post
2 abreast taking up half a lane, im all in for people on bikes , but its like someone steals there comon sense as soon as they get on the saddle.
When i was a kid i could and still can ride between the double yellows or on the yellow line, and my wheels back then were £100 pound each and tubless.
The shocking state of the roads means you wouldn’t get 100yards riding on double yellow lines round here. Cyclists tend to ride further from the kerb in the last few years - sadly the government hasn’t supported it’s own cycling strategy by supporting the infrastructure.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
kevin_cambs_uk
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
If not illegal, then at the very least it is just discourteous and rude - holding up traffic for ages totally unnecessarily.

As you may have guessed, I cycle and I cycle to work everyday, 30 miles. However I also drive a motorcar and I also ride a motorbike. I see poor road use from all users of the road, and so I now come to use the term road user, not motorist or lorry drivers, because there are good and bad in all categories of road user.

The problem with cycle lanes is that they are not designed in the most effective manner, I would say most are designed by people who do not cycle, and as such at times they are a waste of time and money. Also if you are above a certain speed I believe the highway code says you should not ride on them anyway.
2000 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2002 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2003 - Caribbean Beach. 2004 - Forgot where we stayed. 2008 - Pop Century. 2012 - Disneyland Paris for the day. 2015 - Contemporary Resort - 7 days, POFQ - 3 days. 2016 Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea. 2018 Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge
kevin_cambs_uk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List