Notices

Old 19 Aug 18, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

New England Summer 2018: Day 22 - Brewster Cape Cod

Another early wake up for me! I don't think I gave slept past 7am all holiday!

Usual breakfasts!

We asked the kids if they had any preferences today. O really wanted to go back to the Cape Cod beach. J had a look at tide times - low tide was midday. He also saw that a shark had been caught not far away on Thursday! We thought that this information better not be given to F!

We did wonder about the traffic as it was a Saturday and therefore changeover day. In fact it was fine both ways - though in the morning the other direction was very slow moving.

We arrived at 10.30am. J got the parking ticket and we headed down to the same beach.

The water was very far out. It was do different to our first day!

We spent the next 2 hours walking out as far as we could. We saw so many different things. There were thousands of these hermit crabs.

As well as this horseshoe crab. These are not edible and bury themselves in the sand. They don't look that crab like. Apparently you can trace them back millions of years!

There were also what we thought were a type of seaworm.

And a type of jelly fish thing!

It was a really enjoyable explore! There were not many people around at all.

You can see how far we were from the actual land!

It really was do different being able to walk out so far!

At one stage there were lots of seagulls. Some of them were dive bombing for the fish!

On the way back to the shore we came across thus little chappy!

We decided that as it was after 12pm we would go to a cafe we had seen for lunch and come back for the afternoon.

O had a fish burger and fries! F had a veggie and cheese omelette with toast and home fries.

J and I both had eggs, home fries and toast.

They also shared a banana and chocolate pancake! It came to a very reasonable $47

We returned. The ocean was in a lot more than we had thought it would be.

J and O ventured out to mess around and play frisbee.

F decided to do some damming.

She was soon joined by 3 boys who asked if they could join her.

They all dammed for over an hour. F was asked lots of questions (the boys were about 10/11 years old and were staying in their grandparents house on the beach. Their grandparents owned 5 houses ...)

J and O returned and O joined in. The boys had gone.

They built dams, channels and a bridge! The water was coming in quickly and in the space of about 15 minutes all their hard work was destroyed.

We left about 4pm. It had been a great day - we all really enjoyed it. It had been a little cooler and as we were getting ready to leave we could hear thunder.

On the way back, about 15 km from Plymouth it started to pour down. I was driving. It was torrential rain. I slowed down as did everyone. I took the first exit for Plymouth as we felt it would be better to be off the highway. It rained hard for about an hour all in all!

The boys decided to go back to the cinema to see Equalizer 2.

F and I stayed at the apartment. We had english muffins with cheese and then went out for an ice cream. Plymouth was heaving! Indeed, when J got back he had to kick someone out of his parking spot!

On our way back we saw a rainbow!

Back at the apartment, I started the packing and did the online check in. Yesterday I had seen on the reservation for J,F and O that one of the bags we had paid for had disappeared (with me when I had been deleted from the booking as a no show). I sent a message to TAP via Facebook messenger and was impressed with their rapidity in fixing the issue. I was happy to see that the bags were there when I check in. I also gad to do a separate check in for me. My seat is just 2 rows behind (you gave to pay to move) and an aisle seat do all is good!

Our airbnb host has said that we can stay until 4pm as long as we strip the beds and put everything in the washing basket at the bottom of the steps by 10am so he can get them washed. I think we will probably leave at 12- I need do see what time is on the car hire papers for when they picked up the car as we will need to have it back before then to avoid an extra charge!

The boys came back at about 9.30pm. We were all in bed by about 10.30!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

I had a couple of lovely holidays on Cape Cod. Stayed in Hyannis, shopped in Chatham.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 19 Aug 18 11:52 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 18, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A great beach day

Joan
Old 21 Aug 18, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
That beach looks so quiet today. You’re all braver than I am, as I wouldn’t go anywhere near picking those crabs up!

So pleased they sorted out the luggage and check in issues so quickly for you.

Your last photo with the rainbow is absolutely stunning!
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 18, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

So sad to get to check in day, it doesn’t feel like you have been away as long this time. Which area has been your favourite?
Your ice cream looks like a lot of cream! Love the rainbow photo. Hope you all have a safe journey home.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 18, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

What a nice day, lovely time at the beach and a nice evening. Sad face at going home time tho 🙁
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 18, 07:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

The beach looks amazing and some fab sea life to see. That’s good of your host to let you stay on if you need to.
Old 17 Sep 18, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
i love jack
Apprentice Imagineer

Beautiful beach, those horseshoe crabs are so weird!
What was the weather like on the beach? Is it hot?
The egg and home fries looks lovely.
Old 21 Sep 18, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
I had a couple of lovely holidays on Cape Cod. Stayed in Hyannis, shopped in Chatham.
We teally liked Hyannis!

Originally Posted by mick View Post
A great beach day

Joan
My lot do love the water!

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
That beach looks so quiet today. You’re all braver than I am, as I wouldn’t go anywhere near picking those crabs up!

So pleased they sorted out the luggage and check in issues so quickly for you.

Your last photo with the rainbow is absolutely stunning!
I certainly didn’t pick them up - J is pretty fearless though!

The rainbow was a lovely end to our day!

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
So sad to get to check in day, it doesn’t feel like you have been away as long this time. Which area has been your favourite?
Your ice cream looks like a lot of cream! Love the rainbow photo. Hope you all have a safe journey home.
The rest of the family were away the same amount of time - I had 2 days less

I loved Vermont! And Acadia!

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
What a nice day, lovely time at the beach and a nice evening. Sad face at going home time tho 🙁
Especially as going home = work

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
The beach looks amazing and some fab sea life to see. That’s good of your host to let you stay on if you need to.
The host was great! Certainly made the last day less stressful!

Originally Posted by i love jack View Post
Beautiful beach, those horseshoe crabs are so weird!
What was the weather like on the beach? Is it hot?
The egg and home fries looks lovely.
The weather was lovely! Though I think we were lucky most of the holiday!

Got to love egg and homefries!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List