Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 20 Aug 18, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Showjump
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile Horse riding

Any recommendations for horse riding in Florida please
Showjump is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 18, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
espn1
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

I took my daughter and her friend to the Stables at Fort Wilderness, lovely trail with guides on well trained horses, and we looked around the stables afterwards and saw the shire horses they use in the parade.
espn1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 18, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Dreamcatcherhorses.com might be of interest
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 18, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by espn1 View Post
I took my daughter and her friend to the Stables at Fort Wilderness, lovely trail with guides on well trained horses, and we looked around the stables afterwards and saw the shire horses they use in the parade.
My DH and DD did this a few years ago. It was perfect for them but I believe very tame for experienced riders.
Old 20 Aug 18, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
jue40
VIP Dibber

My DD booked for me to go Horse Riding at Tri Cicle D Ranch (Fort Wilderness) two weeks ago. Very nice 45 minutes trail ride through the woods around Fort Wilderness. I really enjoyed it but as an experienced rider it was very 'sedate'. The horses are well trained and very used to the route so tend to just amble along, staff at the ranch were lovely.
As I say really enjoyed it but if you are after a more 'exciting' ride you need to look elsewhere.
Julie
2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016 & 2018 - July/August - Hard Rock & Beach Club/Boardwalk
2013 - July/August - New York, Boston and Orlando
2017 - June - Contemporary 2018 - Solo Yacht Club
2022 Feb & August
2023 Jan
jue40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 18, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Showjump
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Thanks for reply’s, fort wilderness looks great but may be a bit steady for me, will take a look at Dreamcatcher horses
Showjump is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 18, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

My DD was an excellent rider and her equestrian team did their preseason practice in Orlando but the facility (quite close to WDW) closed and they moved to the Wellington area. Ocala is also a pretty big riding venue.

If you want to jump you will have to be in a lesson (liability issues) and may be jumping much lower fences than you do at home. You will need to look for a hunter jumper facility. Most facililities labled "English" do not jump.

My DD never enjoyed trail rides, felt that on most you just needed to sit and the horse did the rest.

There are good shows in both Ocala and Wellington (near West Palm Beach) in the winter.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 18, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Showjump
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

I’m not really wanting to jump as have my own showjumpers, it’s more just the experience of riding in Florida, I’ve looked on some of the websites and it says you can ride through the lake in shallow or deep water, are there Alligators in these lakes! 😬😬
Old 21 Aug 18, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
claireyfairy8
Apprentice Imagineer

claireyfairy8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Originally Posted by Showjump View Post
I’m not really wanting to jump as have my own showjumpers, it’s more just the experience of riding in Florida, I’ve looked on some of the websites and it says you can ride through the lake in shallow or deep water, are there Alligators in these lakes! 😬😬
I would be very wary about going through any water in FL, obviously if it's guided then probably ok, but gators can be anywhere.

I personally never enjoy riding over there, not the same when you have your own horse at home, plus I've never really enjoyed western.
claireyfairy8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 18, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

If you have your own horses, be aware that facilities that rent horses to tourists may not take the best care of their horses. When my DD was young, we would find a facility, get to the stable and DD would be distraught that the horses were not getting the care she felt they deserved. Mostly she was upset that they were tethered to a fence in the heat.

Of course, when DD had a horse, it had a better life than I did-massages, $300. shoes and a stall that was more expensive then my office expenses, house mortgage and home owner expenses combined. So her idea of "good care" may have a very high standard.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List