Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 2 Oct 05, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post

The Vegetarian and the Carnivore! Part Nine – Kona Café, Chefs de France

Kona Café

It was our last night, and we’d made no plans whatsoever for dinner, thinking we’d go with the flow and see what happened, as long as we ended our evening standing on Main Street viewing Wishes!
We’d spent the afternoon at the Magic Kingdom then taken the boat over to Wilderness Lodge.
We went to the cosy Territory lounge and enjoyed our complimentary glasses of wine from Sarah the Manager at Artist Point.
As soon as the area manager, Keith, realised who we were, he came straight over to us and expressed his regret over our disappointing experience a couple of nights earlier. Sarah had already told him about the issues we’d had at Artist Point. He also seemed genuinely interested in correcting things and we chatted for quite a while.
He’d enjoyed many Disney holidays before working here, with dining being important to him too, so understood our disappointment well.
He said they had already spoken with the staff about the need to raise the levels of customer service. They were also looking into changing the vegetarian dish.
We thought the management team at Artist Point were interested, courteous and professional. I got the impression that it was quite unusual to have a bad experience at Artist Point, and I think they handled our concerns very well.

Anyway it was about 7pm by the time we finished our drinks and we were hungry, so we thought we’d take the boat over to the Poly and see if we could wing a table at Kona Café. We’d eaten there previously and always had good food.
They were very busy, but a table would be available in about 40 minutes. That was fine with us - we’d have another glass of wine in the bustling Tambu Lounge while we waited
It was actually only about 25 minutes before we were paged and we’d already looked at the menu and chosen what we were going to eat.

We both had the Kona Salad.
It consisted of refreshing mixed leaves, rich blue cheese, smoked almonds and juicy strawberries. It was just our kind of thing. As you’ve probably noticed we love this type of combination, which is just as well it seems to be very popular on WDW menus at the moment.

For main course Paul had the Vegetarian Rice Bowl.
This was a mix of stir fried veggies. There were peppers, onions, pak choi, celery and carrots on a bed of sticky rice in a crispy wonton bowl. There were also some fresh asparagus spears. He loved it!

I chose the Pan-Asian Pasta, I’ve had it a few times before and part of the reason that I love it is because there are far more veggies than there are noodles, which I would find too heavy.
I’m pretty convinced that mine and Paul’s veggies were the same. They were perfectly al dente and cooked with a vegetarian ginger, chilli and lemon grass sauce. It’s essentially a vegetarian dish but I added chicken to mine (you could also add shrimp).
The only downside to this meal was that yet again, we were too full for one of the delicious desserts they have on offer. They were on display along with an enormous ‘chocolate’ Lilo and Stitch. I was very tempted by the Banana Crème Brulee but I’ll save that for next time!
We ended the evening by taking the monorail back to the Magic Kingdom, and the final poignant performance of our current favourite firework show, Wishes!

Chefs de France – Lunch

This was our last day and we decided we couldn’t leave EPCOT without our customary lunchtime visit to Chefs de France.
We were seated by the window, where we could people-watch whilst enjoying a glass of chilled wine and the excellent, crusty warm bread rolls they serve here.

Will Paul ever tire of ordering the Grilled Goat’s Cheese Salad? I guess it’s partly a tradition thing He just loves it though, and I have to agree that it does make a very pleasant, light dish on a warm day.
I was in the mood for something quite bland tasting today (the thought of flying home always makes me feel apprehensive and a bit queasy) so I chose the sautéed fillets of sole, with lemon and parsley butter. It came with wild rice and a braised tomato.
It was very tasty and just the right choice for me today – in fact I even felt settled enough to order some scrumptious profiteroles!
Paul had Ille Flottante – again!

Edited at 07:33 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 05, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
mkingdon
Imagineer

mkingdon's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Sue

Reading your reports is a nightmare... I am always hungry after it!

I shall force myself to avoid the kitchen before bed or I'll do something I'll regret.

Great reports, and lovely to see someone else who plans their holiday activity around where they want to eat!

Wonderful. Thanks
Old 2 Oct 05, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Villainlover
VIP Dibber

Villainlover's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Your reports have been great thanks for sharing them with us.

Buenaventura Lakes 1993
Indian Ridge 1995/6/7 Oak Island Harbour 1998 Indian Point 1999 Eagle ridge 2000 Crescent lakes 2001 Indian Ridge Oaks 2003 Highlands Reserve 2004/5
Hampton Inn Convention centre 2007
Hampton lakes 2008 Highlands reserve 2009
Highlands Reserve 2010/11/12/13/14/15
Villainlover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 05, 08:12 AM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Another great report Sue - I love reading these foodie reports

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 05, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
gala
Imagineer

gala's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 24

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 336
Once again Sue, thank you for all your reports. They have been excellent.

Margaret

1999 - All Star Music
2001 - Quality Inn International and All Star Movies
2004 - Homewood Suites I Drive and All Star Music
2006 - Homewood Suites I Drive, Royal Pacific Resort and Pop Century
2008 - Homewood Suites, Hard Rock Hotel and Coronado Springs
2010 Homewood Suites, RPR, POFQ
2013 Homewood Suites, RPR,OKW

gala is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 05, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post

Great reports Sue.

See, there's another reason why you HAVE to keep going back - more food reports are needed!
Old 21 Jan 06, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Bob_and_Dawn
Imagineer

Bob_and_Dawn's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Don't know how I missed this one Sue.

Excellent food report.

Bob
Old 23 Jan 06, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
highlander447
Imagineer

highlander447's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
Missed this too, but I had an excuse as I was on holiday the food looks delicious and Kona does great food
highlander447 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 06, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
truesdpr
Imagineer

truesdpr's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I missed it too - which is unusual for me as I love your food pictures! Definitely Kona Cafe then as we'll be in the Poly for 3 nights. Haven't been to Chefs de France since our first trip so must try to revive that one too!

Pam.
truesdpr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 06, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Those desserts - wow!