Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 26 Jun 19, 12:13 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
:) A Mi11ion Dreams = 2018 - Day 22- Magic Kingdom , Pirates and Sorcery!

Welcome back, many thanks for all your messages, especially those willing me to the end, with a reminder that our countdown is at 27 days and I have still to write a Pre Trip report for 2019 It is on the list - but I will get this finished first - Be prepared for the next few days to be posted at a more frequent interval than you have been used to
As always - this report will be finished before the next adventure begins

Day 21 - saw our farewell to Epcot for 2018 -you can read it here

If you are reading for the first time and have missed all the excitement so far - the index for the trip is a just a click here away

The index to everything I have ever written or videoed is here too

Welcome to Day 22

Thursday 16th August 2018

Another of those lovely villa mornings when you mess on in the pool, sunbathe, do very little, have some food and then decide you need to get into the parks, my first note of the day was -

Arrived at MK by Bus at 3pm.

What had happened prior to all of that, was a phone call from Disney in relation to the experience received at the start of our trip -I had emailed a few days ago just relaying the words you have already read (I hope!) that day is a click here away and worth reading for background!

My email was to the WDWTC in the UK - they had passed it back to Disney in The States and I have to admit the customer service response was stunning. Very simple... but stunning.

For the first time, the phone call was everything you would expect from Disney – the CM empathised and understood, more than the WDWTC UK ever have!

I am never one to whinge, (although , I think I have done that too much in this trip report) this phone call offered us a gift card by way of an apology for the check in debacle at POR and I have to be honest, the sincerity of the apology was enough for me, the gift card on offer -to quote " was an additional recognition that things had fallen below the standards that Disney expects of itself."

There could have been an opportunity to play hardball and hold out for more money, it was not about that, it was about someone recognising that this was a shambles that nobody should ever experience on a Sunday afternoon check in.

Having enjoyed so many free Fast passes and with a gift card now emailed, we really needed to draw a line on our POR experience - we had deliberately not thought much more about it so it did not impact on our whole holiday.

The lady on the phone was superb and I can’t argue with the level of apology and the sincerity in which she addressed the issues we had encountered.

By the time she had finished, I was almost sending her the gift card back as a way of thanks, such was her reaction and her understanding of what we had encountered.
With the countdown ticking below, you can see it had the desired effect in us booking one last time

As we entered MK today-

The very first thing we noticed was that the Halloween overlay had been cast upon Magic Kingdom and with pumpkins galore, the middle of August seemed like the end of October!

More of that tomorrow!

We headed to Pirates for a short queue, whilst the parade headed around the hub and down Main Street-As I have said before, the improvements made to this ride, especially the splash effects have made this more of a must do for us.

It is also a really difficult ride to get a decent picture with the new ride photo, we did try!

We enjoyed and then headed to the Pirate Adventureland game, which if you complete two maps gives you a paper fast pass for Pirates with a long expiration date – just worth knowing as it has the added bonus of the game maps, which are good keepsakes.

The ‘Adventure’ took a while, and a bit of to-ing and fro-ing which certainly added to the sweat levels, Great fun and well worth it just for the Fast Pass.

Having mentioned those words, we were then on our way to our first fast pass of the day at “The wildest ride in the wilderness”- Great fun as always and an opportunity to get some photos.

We needed a water stop, which then hastened an ice cream stop too – now the double scoop ice cream is an accident waiting to happen in the Florida heat, simple fix but you do need to ask the server behind the counter – no wearing of ice cream for us!

Still tastes as good but without the fear of imminent disaster!

We then headed for a bit of fresh air on the People Mover.

We seemed to be walking loads and getting nowhere fast!

Which translated means we were not doing many rides, but investing time in other stuff!

As we got off the People Mover you could see weather incoming, we could also see it was slow moving but without rain – thanks to the handy weather apps that indicated that there was a chance we could see this out.

7 dwarfs was shut, as was every other outdoor ride, never a good sign but we saw it through and indulged in some Sorcery instead.

Time for some Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom- once again we walked and walked achieving little except saving the Magic Kingdom from Hades and Ursula!

It was great fun, and I have to admit you could spend hours doing this, collecting cards and having a little collection of them to take home. Noted for the future.

Our Space Mountain fast pass was upon us - as this was inside it kept us from sitting awaiting rides reopening . It also meant we could try to get all 4 of us in the ride photo of 3! Doesn't always work but a funny one to share with others when you get home.

On exit, we heard the sound of the Tomorrowland speedway- a very good sign that things were opening once again.

We skipped the Dwarfs and aimed to fit Splash Mountain in before fireworks- there was still lightning around and as we scanned our magic bands we at least knew we would get that fast pass back should the weather deteriorate again.

We got totally soaked and were aware the weather was possibly going to close everything again.

It was at this point that Joe decided his rather wet tee shirt could be swapped for his photo opportunity one he had put in the bag! Another bargain from the outlets and one that I wish we had been able to buy a few of as so many people asked where we had bought it.
Joe, being Joe, loved that - he has a thing about wearing stuff that gets you noticed - hats, sunglasses tee shirts, shorts - or is that me?
Add ties and shirts to that list and ...

We headed to the hub and found a great spot- until the family in front decided to put their young child on shoulders and despite being so close to the castle they felt the need to spoil the view of all those people behind.

Some quick manoeuvring and the boys having the sense to go and stand in front of the aforementioned family later - we were sorted.

As regular readers know , I was a huge fan of Wishes – Happily Ever After is different and is growing on me – although I do lack the emotional attachment.

It has much more in a visual sense than Wishes and it always makes for some interesting photo opportunities.

It was interesting to see just how quick the weather was closing in, lightning in the sky was incoming and we sensed that with rain too, that would mean for a rather busy exit after the fireworks.

We had something more we simply had to include and not leave until our last night , like last year, we darted from the hub to the Rapunzel toilets, not than anyone was desperate or anything like that- just to get a photo with the lantern.

We were in good time and with a queue that was short but closed shortly after, due to incoming weather. I love these photos and must admit they are really fantastic memories to keep forever.

Apart from Ice Creams, we had not eaten since our brunch at the villa, we took the decision to stay in the park and grab some food at a place we very seldom visit – Cosmic Rays.

We watched as the rain came down along with the sights and sound of thunder and lightning, thankfully we were not outside and amidst the air -con even felt a little chilly!

It was much better than getting a proper soaking and to be inside was better to be watching the rain and weather outside

A $42 Cosmic Rays spend later and we were fed and watered, we headed to the bus at 11-10 and were soon back at the villa, via our stop off at Boardwalk, where we had visited prior to the park.

Having been fed in MK, sleep was soon upon us all with big plans for tomorrow and once again a Florida first.

MNSSHP coming next

Our MNSSHP day is a click here away

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.

Edited at 12:37 AM.
walt4it is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 05:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Good to hear that you had such good service from Disney after the check in experience at POR
Lovely photos and apart from the rain it looks like you had a fab evening at Magic Kingdom.
Old 26 Jun 19, 07:04 AM  
Link to this Post
jothp
Apprentice Imagineer

Great to hear that Disney made up for your check in issues in the end. It sounds like you had a lovely day and got loads done despite your relaxed morning. I love your photos of the fireworks, the t shirt and your lantern pictures. Looking forward to hearing all about MNSSHP.
jothp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 19, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I'm so glad you had a phone call from someone who realised what a horrid check in experience it was for you. It sounds like the apology really was sincere, sometimes that's really all we want, another human being who is able to empathise and feel our pain.

I love Joe's t shirt, I want one! It is a shame you didn't buy a job lot you'd have been able to make a pretty profit off all of us!

The lantern photos really do look beautiful, we checked out then line a couple of times but it was long, almost to the Haunted Mansion, ok I'm exaggerating slightly, but it was a long line so we never did it. Maybe that's something we'll get round to this year.

Less than 4 weeks to go for your countdown! Wow, that time is flying by. Looking forward to the next day, I'm wondering if you dress up.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 19, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Taffy1959 View Post
Good to hear that you had such good service from Disney after the check in experience at POR
Lovely photos and apart from the rain it looks like you had a fab evening at Magic Kingdom.
Glad you liked the photos - we worked around the rain and had a great MK afternoon and evening. Thanks for reading

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

walt4it is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 19, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by jothp View Post
Great to hear that Disney made up for your check in issues in the end. It sounds like you had a lovely day and got loads done despite your relaxed morning. I love your photos of the fireworks, the t shirt and your lantern pictures. Looking forward to hearing all about MNSSHP.
We had another great day, thanks for reading and posting. Glad you like the tee shirt and photos
We got so much done and it was a good rehearsal for Day 23

Old 30 Jun 19, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

How bizarre seeing fall arrive in the MK when still in the midst of summer.

We have A Pirate’s Adventure on the list for this year, we are going to attempt rope drop to park close (for the first time ever) this year, and we’ll need a lot of ‘anytime’ attractions to pad out the middle of the day I feel.

Great tip with the cones too!

I love Joe’s t-shirt.

Brilliant lantern shots, you all look so happy, captures the magic of your trip perfectly.

P.S. Your countdown is at a very excitable size!
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 19, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelE
Excited about Disney

Love your reports, thank you. Have just realised that we were also in MK that day (our wedding anniversary) and we were also at MNSSHP on the 17th - shame we didn't meet you!
RachelE is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 19, 01:03 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by RachelE View Post
Love your reports, thank you. Have just realised that we were also in MK that day (our wedding anniversary) and we were also at MNSSHP on the 17th - shame we didn't meet you!
Thank you for reading and it is such a shame we missed out on a Dibb meet twice!

You have inspired me to shed over 900 photos from eth Halloween party and post day 23 tonight - hope you had as good a time as we did

Appreciate you posting a reply

Old 1 Jul 19, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I'm so glad you had a phone call from someone who realised what a horrid check in experience it was for you. It sounds like the apology really was sincere, sometimes that's really all we want, another human being who is able to empathise and feel our pain.

I love Joe's t shirt, I want one! It is a shame you didn't buy a job lot you'd have been able to make a pretty profit off all of us!

The lantern photos really do look beautiful, we checked out then line a couple of times but it was long, almost to the Haunted Mansion, ok I'm exaggerating slightly, but it was a long line so we never did it. Maybe that's something we'll get round to this year.

Less than 4 weeks to go for your countdown! Wow, that time is flying by. Looking forward to the next day, I'm wondering if you dress up.
Doesn't take much to have that moment of empathy and I have to admit, even now- she had it in buckets!
Joe's shirt is ace - he has grown since last year , but is determined that it will still fit

The lantern photo really is worth the wait, a quick, determined effort after fireworks usually helps

As for the countdown

Can't wait!