Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 18 Jun 19, 12:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

Cornishfrogboy,

I appreciate your information on the less expensive fares you've gotten on Amtrak. Today I got and email and actually opened it. If I book now for August (quite out of character for me) there are $39. each way fares from Boston to NYC and even on the Acela. I've got to start planning trips within theUS earlier. I'venever gotten a fare under $100.

Jas 72, I go to Boston for my specialty medical care. If I have an early appointment, I will get a hotel for the night before rather than get up at 4 and fight traffic. I use an a app called Hotel Tonight which books room up to a week out. I never pay more than $100.night staying in the city. I know the hotels and neighborhoods so am fine booking a 3 star. The difference is often that there is no pool, not something I find necessary.

Also, there are lots of hotels outside of the city proper that are reasonably priced, many on public transportation lines.

When planning a trip to Boston, remember Boston has a huge student population so finding a room at the start and end of the year can be tricky.

Edited at 12:50 AM.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 06:33 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
Cornishfrogboy,

I appreciate your information on the less expensive fares you've gotten on Amtrak. Today I got and email and actually opened it. If I book now for August (quite out of character for me) there are $39. each way fares from Boston to NYC and even on the Acela. I've got to start planning trips within theUS earlier. I'venever gotten a fare under $100.

Jas 72, I go to Boston for my specialty medical care. If I have an early appointment, I will get a hotel for the night before rather than get up at 4 and fight traffic. I use an a app called Hotel Tonight which books room up to a week out. I never pay more than $100.night staying in the city. I know the hotels and neighborhoods so am fine booking a 3 star. The difference is often that there is no pool, not something I find necessary.

Also, there are lots of hotels outside of the city proper that are reasonably priced, many on public transportation lines.

When planning a trip to Boston, remember Boston has a huge student population so finding a room at the start and end of the year can be tricky.
You are very welcome.

And thanks for your own advice. I am already booked up for my 3 nights and staying on a boat at the wharfage directly seaward of the Paul Revere house, otherwise I would have taken it. I feel sure that your advice will help others, though!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey68
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Have you considered a Florida road trip or do you want a complete change? We took our then 14 year old on a road trip and it was one of our best holidays. We did do universal and Disney for 1 week but the remaining 11 nights were split between Anna Maria, Naples and the Keys. You could easily fill 2 weeks and there is so much to see outside of Orlando. Have a great time whatever you decide!
Old 18 Jun 19, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
kateh134
Imagineer

We’ve done a few road trips in US and have just come back from Colorado & Utah which we thoroughly enjoyed. We’ve also done one around New England in the fall and would love to go back there in the summer at some point. We’ve also done a few which included Arizona, Nevada and California which were also good. Texas is next on our list.
Old 19 Jun 19, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Perfect
Proud to wear my Ears

We have just come back from NY and South Carolina.

Had a couple of days in NY, enough for us as we have been several times, then flew to Charleston, and hired a car. Lots of history, lovely city, and beaches, then drove to Hilton Head for 7 nights, it’s beautiful, nothing built higher then the trees, amazing beaches and cycle paths. Visit Savannah and Beaufort.
Perfect is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
alp1972
VIP Dibber

alp1972's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Perfect View Post
We have just come back from NY and South Carolina.

Had a couple of days in NY, enough for us as we have been several times, then flew to Charleston, and hired a car. Lots of history, lovely city, and beaches, then drove to Hilton Head for 7 nights, it’s beautiful, nothing built higher then the trees, amazing beaches and cycle paths. Visit Savannah and Beaufort.
sounds lovely

2023: Cabana Bay & Portofino Bay 2022: Caribbean Beach Resort / Portofino Bay / Cabana Bay 2020: Coronado Springs/Portofino 2019: Cabana Bay2017: Coronado Springs & Cabana Bay
2016: New York 2015: LBV Resort and Spa & Portofino Bay 2012: LBV Resort and Spa 2010: San Francisco, Las Vegas and St Lucia, Honeymoon
alp1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mickey68 View Post
Have you considered a Florida road trip or do you want a complete change? We took our then 14 year old on a road trip and it was one of our best holidays. We did do universal and Disney for 1 week but the remaining 11 nights were split between Anna Maria, Naples and the Keys. You could easily fill 2 weeks and there is so much to see outside of Orlando. Have a great time whatever you decide!
We have now seen all of the Coast from Mobile Alabama, Pensacola, Destin, all the way down to Key West and up the Atlantic side as far as Daytona Beach over the course of several vacations. For us, our favourite area has been the sandbar that runs from Pensacola to Destin and past, a distance of 60 miles or more.. A truly beautiful area that I guess few Florida bound Brits have ever visited. Crab Island at Destin is also impressive!

Remember also that New Orleans is only a 3.5 hr drive from Pensacola via Mobile. That can easily be tied in to any vacation.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
alp1972
VIP Dibber

alp1972's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Thanks everyone lots to think about and not much time ! my husband has said he would like to visit NY again even though he has been before and I have been a few times , so we think probably east coast for this trip. Now just trying to decide where else to go , I am probably going to leave it a little later to book as flight prices are still quite expensive and when I booked Florida last minute a few years ago we literally booked on the weekend and travelled on the Monday but got a good price . I am veering towards possibly Boston , Salem etc maybe Washington or Savannah areas so it is narrowing down just not quite decided on the final areas as still researching . Thanks all for your help everyone .

2023: Cabana Bay & Portofino Bay 2022: Caribbean Beach Resort / Portofino Bay / Cabana Bay 2020: Coronado Springs/Portofino 2019: Cabana Bay2017: Coronado Springs & Cabana Bay
2016: New York 2015: LBV Resort and Spa & Portofino Bay 2012: LBV Resort and Spa 2010: San Francisco, Las Vegas and St Lucia, Honeymoon
alp1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

We went to Maine in March , Portland is lovely we did it via Boston and flew out of Portland down to fort Myers Florida and back out of Boston
Be advised Boston accommodation prices are eye watering! We stayed out near the airport and got the “T” into town
Then hired a car to drive to Freeport Maine and over to Portland.
I would personally give Salem a miss .
Savannah , Tybee island,and Washington would all be a definite yes to help you decide !
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 19, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
lynne6705
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Originally Posted by mickey68 View Post
Sorry for jumping on this thread, I am looking to do pretty much what you have mentioned above, do you have any recommendations of where to stay in the areas outside of Disney/Universal?
lynne6705 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List