Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 17 May 19, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Budmiester
Excited about Disney

Bloc Hotel at Gatwick

Hi Dibbers,
We are heading off to Florida next year and as we will be in tow with 4 kids the group have decided to break our outgoing flight at Gatwick and stay overnight. I have stayed at the Sofitel in the North Terminal previously and enjoyed it but as we flying BA we will be leaving from the South Terminal so are considering using the Bloc hotel, on TA it's getting reasonable reviews but has anyone used it with a young family?

Many Thanks
Budmiester
Budmiester is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 19, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
It really doesn't matter which terminal you are flying from - they are a few minutes apart on the shuttle. That shouldn't influence which hotel you choose.

The Sofitel is lovely, as you probably know what you've said and is always my first choice. Bloc does look intriguing, due to the runway views, and I'd be tempted to give it a go for that reason.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 19, 06:30 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
It really doesn't matter which terminal you are flying from - they are a few minutes apart on the shuttle. That shouldn't influence which hotel you choose.

The Sofitel is lovely, as you probably know what you've said and is always my first choice. Bloc does look intriguing, due to the runway views, and I'd be tempted to give it a go for that reason.
Agree with this. I thought I would stop using Sofitel when BA changed terminals, but it is literally three minutes away, so we stick to Sofitel.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 19, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
itsmeGAV
Apprentice Imagineer

We don't have kids, however we've stayed at the BLOC for our last 3 trips out of Gatwick as a couple.

We have stayed in the 'Aspire' room 2 times out of the 3 which is exactly the same as the 'Aspire Family' room but they just don't setup the bunk beds.. however you can easily open them out as they pull out from the wall, there was more than enough room for 4 people if required.

We stayed in the Runway Suite in March which only has a queen bed and no further beds, but if you do ever fly out as a couple this room I'd 100% recommend.

They do some great deals which include purple parking and breakfast etc but do note that the bathroom is just a wet room
Jan 24 - Family timeshare, Vacation Villages at Parkway
Mar 25 - Family timeshare, Holiday Inn Club Vacations @ Orange Lake

Edited at 09:55 AM.
itsmeGAV is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 19, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Budmiester
Excited about Disney

Bozza and itsmeGAV thanks, I like the look of the hotel and think the kids will like the quirkinesses of the rooms. I noticed that it’s before security, are there child friendly restaurants and other things available before security?
Budmiester is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 19, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Budmiester View Post
Bozza and itsmeGAV thanks, I like the look of the hotel and think the kids will like the quirkinesses of the rooms. I noticed that it’s before security, are there child friendly restaurants and other things available before security?
There are limited eating choices before security.

One thing some do is walk, to the Hilton and enjoy the dinner buffet. It gets you in training for whats to follow and is good with kids options.

Garden Restaurant

Disney332
Old 17 May 19, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Jo
Imagineer

Another vote here for the BLOC hotel at Gatwick, myself, DH & DD stayed last year and it was great place for the night. We ate at Giraffe the night before which I would also recommend, we also grabbed some drinks from Costa and after the meal went to the weatherspoons for a G&T before bed.
August 2018 - Villa at Oak Island Community
December 2021 - Art of Animation Cars Suite
Disney Jo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 19, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
limmy
Imagineer

limmy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I find the parking an amazing deal with The Bloc. You literally pull up into valet and that's it. It's there when you get back. No shuttles. You also get premium access line for security and a book of vouchers. The staff are friendly, the hotel is clean and has a lovely smell and it's fab looking out the windows. The ease of everything is the perfect way to start the holiday. I ventured down to M&S for some beers and then we had breakfast at Weatherspoons.
DCL 2019
limmy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 19, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
suecee
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

We were really happy with Bloc especially as we did twilight check in & then used the fast security which is only a few steps from the lift.

I hated the Bloc bathroom though - the lack of privacy having a glass door was not for me. I think I maybe an exception as I didn't see any reviews on TA mention this!
Old 18 May 19, 02:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Persnicketty
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Budmiester View Post
Hi Dibbers,
We are heading off to Florida next year and as we will be in tow with 4 kids the group have decided to break our outgoing flight at Gatwick and stay overnight. I have stayed at the Sofitel in the North Terminal previously and enjoyed it but as we flying BA we will be leaving from the South Terminal so are considering using the Bloc hotel, on TA it's getting reasonable reviews but has anyone used it with a young family?

Many Thanks
Budmiester
We used the Bloc for day rooms (at a very decent price) and they were excellent. All we wanted was a kip and some comfort for a few hours.

The only complication we had was that larger rooms were not available for day use and that meant our 4 adults and 2 children were spread over 3 rooms. Still worth it even then.

However you might want to check maximum occupancy per family room if you have 4 children
Persnicketty is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List