Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 14 Nov 19, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
The Bare Necessities - Day 10 Friday 9th August 2019 Disney Springs and Hollywood Studios

Day 10 Lazy morning at the resort, DS for lunch and HS in the evening Friday 9th August 2019

Welcome to The Bare Necessities Trip Report. I’m Abby and I went to Orlando at the end of July 2019 with my husband David, our children Max (14) and Kate (12). We’ve been to Orlando before But this trip was different as we had my parents Jac and Tom with us, they will be referred to as Mum and Dad or Grandma and Grandad throughout the report. I was so excited to take them with us as this was their first time to WDW.

Day 10

This was planned to be a lazy day with the pool in the morning, Disney Springs for lunch and then off to HS for the Star Wars fireworks.

It's our last time at HS this trip and I really don't like that stage of the trip when you are over half way and you know you're going to be saying goodbyes. Today actually did go to plan as that's exactly how it turned out.

We all lazed around in the room until around in the room until about 9.45am. We headed to the QS in the resort for breakfast.

The kids, Dave and myself shared 2 QS breakfasts, we got a margarita and a wine for later. Dave was a bit wary about this but I convinced him they were used to it. At some point though we knew we'd actually have to start drinking the drinks we had in the fridge in the room as somehow we hadn't fancied them in the afternoons. I know you're surprised at this but we had a couple of these little bottles in the fridge unopened.

We had chocolate chip pancakes with bacon and sausage, this was mainly for Max as he was cross when I’d got the berry pancakes previously.

So, even though it was supposed to QS shared between 2 really Dave, Kate and me shared the eggs, bacon, breakfast potatoes and biscuit, although the other two grabbed a sausage each from Max.

It was looking pretty cloudy but it was dry at the moment.

We easily found sunbeds as it was only just after 10am.

I left the others at the pool and went to reception to sort out the $200 gift card as I wanted to pay off some of the room charges (all the tips were charged to the room).

Also Max’s magic band had somehow got broken and I wanted to get a replacement of that.

This turned into a right old palaver . Ok, the magic band was actually easily sorted, they even had the same colour but obviously without his name. This was added to our account and no problems using it.

The gift card on the other hand was a pain in the butt .

The cast member serving me was called Fabiola and she was great. She explained she could see there was $200 on the card but that the card had not been activated . She ended up being on hold to the World of Disney shop for ages while they tried to sort it out.

While I was waiting the lady next to me was checking out. She was with her daughter who must have been around 3 years old, the little girl was wearing a really cute Elsa dress with flashing lights and also the chorus of ‘Let it Go’ on repeat. The mum had decided they wanted to go to the parks today she was enquiring about paying for a 1 day ticket. This ended up costing $133 each for a one day pass to MK . I couldn’t believe the price, plus it was nearly 11am already, she’d missed half the day!

I waited around 45 minutes and finally the cast member told me to go and enjoy my day and she would sort it out. As I’d been waiting so long she added 4 FP to the account for today (1 for each of us) and another 4 for tomorrow. She promised that she would sort it out and allocate the money to our room charges. I went back to the pool not really sure that I believed her . It turns out I should have had more faith and I shouldn’t have doubted her as later that day there was a message on the phone in the room that it was all fine and the $200 had been allocated against our bill. Phew!

Once I got back to the pool the kids decided they were hungry. How?

So, Max had a gluten free chocolate chip cookie, he raved about these (we got some of these when using up our credits and as far as I can tell it’s just a pre packaged cookie).

Dave fancied ice cream, so got a scoop of vanilla. Not sure why this is not in a pot and is in a plastic container, maybe they don’t have the little pots?

Kate had Cheetos because she loves them.

And unsurprisingly Dad had Beignet’s because he loved them I had a bit too and they are tasty, but I’m not sure I could manage a whole one and certainly not three.

I couldn’t be bothered to get in the pool now and just watched the others having fun.

We went back to the room at around midday to shower and change before getting the boat to Disney Springs. Fabiola had left her message on the answerphone saying it had all been sorted and the $200 was allocated to our account. I was pretty relieved it was all sorted out and that I didn't have to go back to reception and it was nice to know before heading out to DS.

We met up with mum and dad at 1pm and slowly walked to the boat dock as it was pretty hot today.

We waited barely 5 minutes for a boat.

It’s a lovely journey and I enjoyed taking some photos on the way.

I even spotted an Amphicar out on the water, except it looked like he was paddling to me, are they supposed to be paddled?

We landed at the marketplace boat dock and went into Goofy’s Candy Store as it started raining as we arrived.

We had a look at the treats all being made.

But the rain cleared up within 5 minutes and we headed out to find some lunch.

For lunch at DS we fancied pizza, so of course we went to Blaze. We shared 1 pizza between two, so 3 QS credits used here.

We sat out on the balcony.

I shared with Max and he went along picking out all the meat, I asked for olives on one half, but they were scattered a bit too liberally so I had to pick some off of Max’s half. Plus in the end I only had 2 slices and ended up picking the olives off of the other slice for Max.

Dave shared with Kate as they both fancied BBQ chicken, but he panicked when they asked about the toppings while they were in line and said just give us everything so their pizza looks a bit mental.

Dad and Mum also had a bit of a panic, but they liked their pizza. Dad grabbed the chili flakes and hot sauce too.

We got 3 beers with this, plus used up 3 snack credits for sodas. As we were paying for the pizzas mum asked if the pizza was a snack and I could barely contain myself from screaming at that no it’s a quick service credit as it’s a meal. At this point I knew they were never going to get it . I suppose some of the snacks we had had previously had been large enough to be meals so it was confusing, but come on mum it’s a whole pizza that’s not a snack .

We all wanted to try a bit of the sriracha hot sauce Dad had got for his pizza, well Kate and me did as we like the you tube channel Tasty (they always seem to use sriracha).

I quite like spicy foods and so does Kate, but Dave and Max aren’t really fans but they gave in and tried some. Mum stayed well and truly clear.

It was quite nice, very much like tobasco I think. I put a little of it on the pizza plate for us to dip our fingers into.

Waiting for it to kick in!

Then the kids went to World of Disney while the rest of us went to Dockside Margarita’s.

I had the habanero lime margarita and it was very good and very strong and Dave had the rum runner, this was really tasty too.

Mum had the frozen strawberry which she liked. She wondered if these were snacks? Grr, no! These we actually have to pay for mum, you know with real money! Every cocktail we’ve had we’ve paid for (unless they are included with a meal!). With hindsight I guess as I always used the magic band it was a bit confusing for her as I may have been using credits, but of course for these I was purchasing them and charging it to the room to pay for later.

The three drinks came to $40.75.

There was a singer setting up and she was pretty good.

Halfway through the marg Max appeared and said Kate was still looking. I started to fear that my rather loose parenting style wasn’t such a good idea (the thought of having to explain that I had lost my child while sitting drinking a marg made me get up) so I went off in search of Kate with Max. It didn’t take too long to find her even though World of Disney was manic and I had had a beer and half a marg.

Kate had been doing a lot of browsing and had found some great T shirts that were apparently perfect for us and she just had to show me.

I’m here for the food – Dad

I’m here for the photos – me

I’m here for the rides – Max

I didn’t buy them though as neither Dave nor Max will wear slogan T shirts . I've given up on that at least I get them here every year.

We decided the perfect t shirt for Kate would be I’m here for everything.

She had narrowed down and was trying to choose between Piglet and Pegasus.

We had ruled out Donald Duck and Pluto. Max felt that she needed Pegasus as he looked awesome with his long tail.

In the end she decided that she had to have Pegasus. I managed to get her to agree for this to be shipped back to the hotel so that we could pick it up later and not have to carry it around for the rest of the day.

Once Kate had made her decision we went back to the others and I downed the rest of the marg and we went off to Ghiradelli’s for pudding.

Max went for the chocolate brownie, why oh why did he not choose ice cream? He liked it though so at least he was happy.

I had butter pecan and so did Mum. Kate and Dave both had cookie dough. Dad had mint choc chip. We all enjoyed the ice cream. These were all 1 snack credit each.

It was now heading on for 4pm and I was itching to get to the park, we had enjoyed a slower start to the day and the walk around DS looking in the shops. But I was keen to get to HS.

We went to the bus station and caught a bus to Boardwalk as that was already at the stop, Max ran for it and asked the driver to wait, which he did.

The Boardwalk resort was really lovely and I’ve never been in the front entrance before.

We enjoyed having a nose around and of course I took lots of photos.

We walked from Boardwalk to HS.

We made it just before the hour was up for our FP for TOT.

I still hadn’t managed to convince Mum and Dad to come on with us so just the 4 of us again.

As mum and dad were not going to go on Rock and Roller I changed the FP for us all to Voyage of the Little Mermaid. If we didn’t have the 4 free FP from earlier I probably would not have done this as the kids would have killed me!

It’s an ok show, but that’s about as much love as I can muster for it. In fact, it’s the show I like the least at HS. It doesn’t have the humour of Frozen, or the action of Indy, and the Beauty and the Beast show is just way better! I even prefer Muppetvision 3D to this and decided that we should head round there after our next FP.

Still, Mum and Dad enjoyed it and it meant we could have a little sit down.

We walked around to Slinky Dog Dash, but this was closed as there was lightning and thunder in the area. It wasn’t raining and I guess we could have waited and used the FP on the ride when it opened up, but as we’d been evacuated off of Toy Story Mania earlier in the trip I thought it would be fun to go on here instead. The boys still wanted to show they could top Grandad’s near perfect score on Buzz on our first day so were well up for having a last battle.

This entrance to the ride is odd now and I’m sure they must have been refurbishing the queue as I don’t remember this from last year.

We definitely felt like we were entering via the back door.

I’m sure you’re all keen to know the scores. I was pretty pleased with my 108,800, I’m always happy if I get a six figure score. Max got 158,300.

Dave got 179,500, Kate was with him and got 98,100.

Mum got 27,900 (it’s like she wasn’t evening trying!). Dad got 82,000. Even I beat him. Woo hoo. We’re still not sure how he got such a high score on Buzz.

So, next on the cards was the last HS show of the trip, Muppetvision, but unfortunately when we got there the sign said it was closed I think it closed at 6pm so we had missed the show.

We decided to use our 4 free FP given to us by Fabiola now on Rock and Roller.

After we got off it was time for dinner and we rounded the day off with burgers!

This was a day of eating junk food, with pizza for lunch followed by Ghiradelli ice cream and then in the evening we went to Backlot Express as the kids had fancied burgers at lunch (they were keen to go to D-Luxe which we never made it to in the end, another one for next year).

We ordered 6 QS meals and for the drinks we got 2 strawberry daiquiris, 2 frozen margaritas and 2 beers. I had one daiquiri and one margarita, so did Dave. Mum and Dad had the beers!

The food took absolutely ages to come out here, at least 15 minutes…but it gave time for the frozen drinks to start melting and they tasted pretty good less frozen.

Mum had the Caprese sandwich, she liked it. Max had chicken tenders and fries, Kate had the bacon cheeseburger and me.

Dave and Dad had the special burger which I think had pulled pork in it as well as bacon and cheese.

We also ordered 2 soda drinks and Max had the raspberry frozen slushy, this was the blue drink it didn’t have alcohol.

I like the burgers at Backlot and they didn't disappoint today , they are firm favourite for us at HS which is a good thing as there aren't a huge amount of options really. It was pretty quiet and there were lots of tables to choose from. We stayed there for nearly an hour, chilling out, slowly drinking our drinks and somehow Max managed to tip his down his t shirt. He went to the toilet and washed it off so that’s why he’s got a massive wet patch on the front of his shirt.

The only other plan we had for the day was to watch the Star Wars fireworks so we weren’t in a hurry. We left Backlot at 8.45pm and saw that Star Tours was just a 5 minute wait. I was worried this would be cutting it a bit fine for the fireworks, but the kids convinced me we could do the ride and get there in time.

The kids were running, not fast, just trying to get through the queue line quickly as there was actually no one waiting, but of course there is no running in WDW. The cast member was pretty sweet though and didn’t really tell them off as he just said ‘there’s no running here we just skywalk!’ They found this hilarious and he said ‘I’m using the force to slow you down’.

We enjoyed the ride, it was a new adventure for us to the Wookie planet. I was hoping we could still make it to the projection show before the fireworks. This was starting at 9.05pm or 9.15pm, I wasn’t exactly sure so I hustled everyone out of the shop as quickly as I could.

We made it with a minute to spare and saw the Wonderful World of Animation. This was a beautiful show and I’m glad we made it there.

We stayed put. The girls all had a sit down on the concrete.

While Dad and Max stood over to the side.

It was pretty quiet today and there were very few people, so we weren’t crowded in and even though we’d claimed our spot late we were pretty central for the show.

The Star Wars fireworks were fun and the music and projections all go together really well.

We headed out the park once the show was over and we were lucky again as there was a bus waiting at the bus stop. Well I say we were lucky, 2 of us were and the others less so Max and Dave decided to run for it, but there was no way I was going to run, or jog, not even a fast walk! They got on it and the bus left ! To be honest it wasn’t a problem as it was packed and there was no room for the rest of us as they only just squeezed on. Fortunately we didn’t have long to wait as another bus showed up 6 minutes later and as we were at the front of the queue we got seats so that was a bonus really .

And that was it our last visit to HS of the trip. I hate it when it gets to this point in your trip and you’re saying goodbye to parks. It was a good day. Despite my frustrating start to the day the gift card issue had been resolved and we had all needed a more relaxed day with some chill time. Mooching about Disney Springs is always fun, especially when you add in a cocktail and ice cream . Then we did get to do some of our favourite rides at HS in the evening in what was virtually an empty park and we topped it all off with fireworks!

Statistics
Steps 20,148
Attractions 5

Coming Soon
Next up tomorrow AK in the morning and we try out the new animation class. Another chilled out afternoon before heading over to Wilderness Lodge in the evening to go to Storybook Dining and meet the Evil Queen.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 19, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

Mobile

Aw, it is sad to say goodbye but at least you know you’ll be there again next year!
How lovely to have space to watch the fireworks.
Glad your gift card was all sorted and some lovely bonus FPs too!
Very impressed with the cocktails today...your relaxed parenting made me laugh, I’d have been exactly the same!
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 19, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by MrsSilverStar View Post
Aw, it is sad to say goodbye but at least you know you’ll be there again next year!
How lovely to have space to watch the fireworks.
Glad your gift card was all sorted and some lovely bonus FPs too!
Very impressed with the cocktails today...your relaxed parenting made me laugh, I’d have been exactly the same!
You're right it's easier to say goodbye knowing you've already booked to come back, but it still hits me in the belly (nd something always seems to get in my eye on our last park day this was a lovely evening at HS though. Just a few rides but all our faves. And all worth it.

Cocktails were all yummy, upon reflection allowing my 12 year old daughter to walk around a shop less than 100 ft from me isn't the biggest crime in the world but half way through the margarita I had visions of me having to explain what I was doing while my child went missing and I thought I should check in with her. She was fine and totally nonplussed in that totally pre teen way of looking at you like you've grown 2 heads and why on earth are you checking up

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 19, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

What a lovely relaxing day Abby!
Glad you got the gift card sorted in the end, it’s so frustrating isn’t it but good of Fabiola to give you the FP’s!
Your Blaze pizzas look amazing, I LOVE it in there!
I had to laugh at your mum getting mixed up about the credits, I think we forget not everyone are experts at all things Disney 😉
Glad you didn’t lose Kate and have to ‘fess up to security about what you were doing whilst she was shopping 😂. We’ve done it a few times with Hope and Sam before and I’ve panicked like you, it’s better now they’re that bit older.
Lovely evening in HS, it seemed really quiet? Always a bonus though!
It’s sad you’re now over halfway through and visiting the parks for the last time. I always feel the last half of the holiday speeds by!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 19, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
What a lovely relaxing day Abby!
Glad you got the gift card sorted in the end, it’s so frustrating isn’t it but good of Fabiola to give you the FP’s!
Your Blaze pizzas look amazing, I LOVE it in there!
I had to laugh at your mum getting mixed up about the credits, I think we forget not everyone are experts at all things Disney 😉
Glad you didn’t lose Kate and have to ‘fess up to security about what you were doing whilst she was shopping 😂. We’ve done it a few times with Hope and Sam before and I’ve panicked like you, it’s better now they’re that bit older.
Lovely evening in HS, it seemed really quiet? Always a bonus though!
It’s sad you’re now over halfway through and visiting the parks for the last time. I always feel the last half of the holiday speeds by!
Yes it was a lovely relaxing day. Fabiola really helped smooth things over. I was trying not to get cross with mum for not getting the dining plan, I know its confusing but good lord did she really thing a pizza was a snack and cocktails were credits? Still I shouldn't complain as I hadn't wanted them to be bogged down with the details and so it's my own fault really.

It was such a lovely laid back evening in the studios it really was quiet.

Old 22 Nov 19, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Day 11 is up.

Old 24 Nov 19, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

So sad it's coming to the end of the trip, I really dislike these days

POFQ pool looks amazing ... think we may need to have a little resort hop for the pool (can you do that?!)

Such a shame you had a chew with giftcard, think we'll be checking ours has been activated before we leave the World of Disney. Fab service from Fabiola though and lovely you got 8 FP's too

I'm with Kate on the snack front, I absolutely love those cheeto crunchy's. Maybe the ampicar broke down not sure it's supposed to be paddled.

Mmmm that Blaze pizza looks so nice, I could really eat that right now. We definitely didn't see that queue on TSM so I think your right, they must be refurbishing it. He must have hit a few of the high scores on Buzz

Love the interaction with the CM about running

Another fab day Abby xx
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 19, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
So sad it's coming to the end of the trip, I really dislike these days

POFQ pool looks amazing ... think we may need to have a little resort hop for the pool (can you do that?!)

Such a shame you had a chew with giftcard, think we'll be checking ours has been activated before we leave the World of Disney. Fab service from Fabiola though and lovely you got 8 FP's too

I'm with Kate on the snack front, I absolutely love those cheeto crunchy's. Maybe the ampicar broke down not sure it's supposed to be paddled.

Mmmm that Blaze pizza looks so nice, I could really eat that right now. We definitely didn't see that queue on TSM so I think your right, they must be refurbishing it. He must have hit a few of the high scores on Buzz

Love the interaction with the CM about running

Another fab day Abby xx
It was a great pool. Are you at riverside again next year? As FQ and riverside are walking distance you should try out the pool. I had planned for us to go to riverside to visit one of the quiet pools, but we never did make it there.

It was a right pain in the butt the gift card, mainly cos I was just waiting at check in while poor Fabiola was on hold with World of Disney. We got both cards at the same time and my parents one was fine, so I wonder if they activated theirs and forgot ours. The FP for the four of us were handy though.

Old 25 Nov 19, 01:07 AM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
It was a great pool. Are you at riverside again next year? As FQ and riverside are walking distance you should try out the pool. I had planned for us to go to riverside to visit one of the quiet pools, but we never did make it there.

It was a right pain in the butt the gift card, mainly cos I was just waiting at check in while poor Fabiola was on hold with World of Disney. We got both cards at the same time and my parents one was fine, so I wonder if they activated theirs and forgot ours. The FP for the four of us were handy though.
We are yes. I plan to head over for Mickey Beignets anyway so will hopefully get to have a little dip.

Ahh possibly, that would make more sense but you still managed to get some FP's from it which was good x
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 19, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by caitlinsmummy View Post
We are yes. I plan to head over for Mickey Beignets anyway so will hopefully get to have a little dip.

Ahh possibly, that would make more sense but you still managed to get some FP's from it which was good x
I was pretty sure you were back at POR as there's not too many options for a room for 5. I half remembered you talking about CBR again though and that made me have a little bit doubt. Definitely head over for some beignets and a dip in the pool, you could even catch the boat.