Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Jul 19, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
firsttimemouse
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

We were on this cruise, got home today. Have to say we had such an amazing holiday. We did here the announcement at 2am calling security but were safely tucked up in bed so didn’t budge. We had no idea what happened until we saw it on the news. We were always back in our room by 11 and didn’t see any rowdy behaviour at all. All the guests we chatted to were lovely people.

We did find the buffet area quite manic and avoided it in favour of the sit down restaurants. We ate early in the evening and had good service, had a wonderful couple of evenings in the crows nest bar enjoying the views of the fjords. Reading the news article it’s like we were on a different boat. Such a shame but not surprising that people behave in poor manner at 2am after too much to drink. I don’t know if this type of thing happens and doesn’t get reported, there was a news reporter on the boat and I wonder if he hadn’t been there whether this would be on the news at all.
2018 DLP Newport bay
2019 DLP Newport bay
firsttimemouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
Was this song playing at the time:

I was a Mowtown girl but David Cassidy was my guilty pleasure ... not that I would have ever admitted it.

Sorry I have no input on the actual thread but MH started it
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

I was a bit concerned when reports of over drinking and singing of patriotic songs.
This report has really put me off booking P&O and they had been a possibility for the Med next year.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by bonnies mum View Post
I was a bit concerned when reports of over drinking and singing of patriotic songs.
This report has really put me off booking P&O and they had been a possibility for the Med next year.
Please don't let it put you off.

You get drunken people wherever you go - any town is full with them on weekends!

The singing of patriotic songs isn't quite as bad as it sounds - they do something called the great british sailaway but they do songs from each of the 4 countries that make up Great Britain - ie Tom Jones, The Proclaimers etc - so just normal every day songs by British Artists - at the end they might throw in Rule Britannia in the style of Last Night of the Proms.
BUT!
The main thing is you dont have to go to it if you dont want to! We have just done a 2 week cruise on Britannia and didn't do one sailaway for one reason or another!

On the other hand when we did the Fjords we did them all and cried at the classical sailaway in Flam it was soo moving.

If you are in port with another ship they do often do alternate horn sounding which is also fun to listen to!

You can do or go where you want on the ship so if you dont like something that is happening there will also be somewhere else to go or something else to do!

xxx
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We were put off by 2 separate people we know saying they like P&O as there are no 'foreigners' or Americans on board! We've only cruised 4 times and all on American lines (Celebrity, DCL and Princess) which we've loved.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure & POR Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Juliemack View Post
I was a Mowtown girl but David Cassidy was my guilty pleasure ... not that I would have ever admitted it.

Sorry I have no input on the actual thread but MH started it
I am also a motown fan, and when I was a kid my elder sister would play what becomes of the broken hearted about 100 times a day (Jimmy Ruffin). I also liked David Cassidy but I never admitted that to my mates as it wouldn't have been cool.

With regards the subject matter, I am surprised how it's even made the news, because sadly this is happening all over the country as I type this, due to adults having too much drink and clowning around.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

We did the Epicurean twice and the afternoon tea was absolutely superb.

We also ate in both the MDR and the buffet. We found if you didn’t have a fixed seating there could be a wait for the dining room. We ended up going down early or going to the buffet depending on our plans.
We also did a cookery club course which was excellent.

It wasn’t the same as the Disney cruise which is all I can compare it with but it was about 1/3 the price.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Labboy
VIP Dibber

Clowns are evil , they are spooky things, john Wayne Gacy I rest my case.
Labboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
firsttimemouse
Very Serious Dibber

We didn’t go to the sailaway parties however I really don’t think they are as they’ve been reported at all. It makes it sound like a lager louts holiday but it really isn’t at all.

This was my view when I went onto the top deck at about 9.30pm had a chat with a few other passengers taking photos and enjoying the views.

Bit of a poor photo but as you can see very peaceful!

Edited at 10:15 PM. Reason: Trying to add photo
firsttimemouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 19, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by MrsBC View Post
We were put off by 2 separate people we know saying they like P&O as there are no 'foreigners' or Americans on board! We've only cruised 4 times and all on American lines (Celebrity, DCL and Princess) which we've loved.
Unfortunately I think that says more about those people than the cruise line!

As I said previously we have just done 2 weeks on Britannia.

Yes there were lots of British people on there - of course there are - just as any ship out of a US port will have a majority of US passengers!

However there are such a mix of people - old, young, white, asian, afro-caribbean, LOTS of chinese and a smattering of US guests too!

Like anywhere you go there will be a mix of every colour, race and religion - there will always be the odd muppet that drinks too much or dislikes "foreigners" but we have met some absolutely awesome people on cruise ships!
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List