Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Aug 20, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Might be worth looking at my trip report in my signature. Although it was Easter, it is relevant to what you are seeking to do. I would look to copy some of this 14 dater, extending into Yosemite after the San Francisco bit. Since this one, I have planned, booked and cancelled 2 x further California’s due to Covid. The second of these (for August) is also in my signature. I am an avid researcher, as I am not challenged mentally at work, am thus perusing, plotting and planning for many hours every single week.

Points...
1. As said, prices drop off markedly as you get later into August and I would expect to pay no more than £520 next year for a basic, hand baggage only (we now always do this) adult flight. Washing is easily arranged when selecting what are almost invariably hotels for accommodation. I generally wait a few weeks after the release point, but next time, may go straight in if the price is right on release day. I will be remembering which airlines promptly refunded me (BA and American). I will not forget those that broke the law and refused refund within the set legislation. I might end up flying in a Red tail through codeshare, but most certainly will not be booking direct through them.
BA and AA tend to release before the 330 day point that most/all search engines use. That is worth being aware of as I will be trying to research on Google flights before booking direct with the airline if possible. (If I haven’t already booked).
2. LA is generally cheaper than San Diego, but no more than SFO or Oakland. Certainly not enough more to justify ‘doubling back’ or similar.
3. North to south is preferable to the other way on the PCH. This means that the views are unobstructed as you drive the right hand lane.
4. I would seek to arrive in SFO and depart from LA. This prevents duplication if you drive a route as in my Trip Report. From Anaheim, you head straight down the interstate to San Diego and drive back up the scenic route to departure taking in any combination of La Jolla, Scripps, Oceanside, Carlsbad (Legoland) and finally staying your last night on RMS Queen Mary at Long Beach. On your last day, you then drive up to Santa Monica (7 miles from LAX), then get in your Hollywood Sights tour before flying out in the evening. At all times on that day, if there is a major hiccup, you can simply get a taxi to the airport. (I never like leaving too much to chance on my last day).
5. You are very unlikely to need a car in San Francisco and in any case, parking can be extortionate. People talk about mobility to see things, but you can be near fishermen’s, Ghirardellis , Alcatraz, Dylan’s cycle shop, Lombard Zigzags and the Powell tram car (that takes you to Union Sq.
If you want some more, then we booked the 2 hour ‘love tour’ from Fishermen’s for our abortive March Vacation. These air cooled VW campers, hand painted, shag pile carpet, 60s music and commentary, take you to Haight Ashbury, Golden Gate Park, Over the Golden Gate and back via the Lombard Zigzags.
By then, you will have seen most of the ‘A list ‘ attractions.
6. Can help you with Yosemite(others who have been, can).
7. Monterey Cannery Row is stunning, as is the Whale watching. Accommodation is expensive.
8. LA. I don’t like the place, but others do.
9. San Diego. Along with Boston, this is the only city I have visited thus far in the USA where I would live. For me, it is the jewel in the crown of California (AIM’s sticky is a great reference as she is a resident. Very informative and helpful, too). I strongly advise a Gosandiego card if you visit. Ours was a 5day.

That gives plenty to be going on with. If you have any questions or detail, then you only have to ask via the thread or personal message.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 08:02 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Our 1st one we did. LA - palm springs - scottsdale - GC - LV - Death Valley np - yosemite np - San Fran - Oxnard - LA.
2nd one we did. LA - LV - GC - Sedona - PS - LA.
Next year we think we've narrowed it down to.
LV - DV np - San Fran - not sure on pch1 yet - San Diego.

Fingers crossed, its nice to read other people ideas for next year 😊
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Buzz242
Very Serious Dibber

We’ve had several trips to the west coast and would definitely recommend flying in and out of different airports. The first time we flew to Vegas as it was the cheapest option then drove to Anaheim, LA and San Diego before returning to Vegas to fly home. It was a great holiday but we realised that we wasted a lot of time in the car. 2nd trip we flew to LA, then drove to SF and returned via PCH to LA and finally SD. (Still a lot of time in the car) Subsequent trips we’ve flown into SF driven up to SD then flown home from there or the opposite way round.
I would definitely save Vegas and the Grand Canyon for a different trip.
Buzz242 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Might be worth looking at my trip report in my signature. Although it was Easter, it is relevant to what you are seeking to do. I would look to copy some of this 14 dater, extending into Yosemite after the San Francisco bit. Since this one, I have planned, booked and cancelled 2 x further California’s due to Covid. The second of these (for August) is also in my signature. I am an avid researcher, as I am not challenged mentally at work, am thus perusing, plotting and planning for many hours every single week.

Points...
1. As said, prices drop off markedly as you get later into August and I would expect to pay no more than £520 next year for a basic, hand baggage only (we now always do this) adult flight. Washing is easily arranged when selecting what are almost invariably hotels for accommodation. I generally wait a few weeks after the release point, but next time, may go straight in if the price is right on release day. I will be remembering which airlines promptly refunded me (BA and American). I will not forget those that broke the law and refused refund within the set legislation. I might end up flying in a Red tail through codeshare, but most certainly will not be booking direct through them.
BA and AA tend to release before the 330 day point that most/all search engines use. That is worth being aware of as I will be trying to research on Google flights before booking direct with the airline if possible. (If I haven’t already booked).
2. LA is generally cheaper than San Diego, but no more than SFO or Oakland. Certainly not enough more to justify ‘doubling back’ or similar.
3. North to south is preferable to the other way on the PCH. This means that the views are unobstructed as you drive the right hand lane.
4. I would seek to arrive in SFO and depart from LA. This prevents duplication if you drive a route as in my Trip Report. From Anaheim, you head straight down the interstate to San Diego and drive back up the scenic route to departure taking in any combination of La Jolla, Scripps, Oceanside, Carlsbad (Legoland) and finally staying your last night on RMS Queen Mary at Long Beach. On your last day, you then drive up to Santa Monica (7 miles from LAX), then get in your Hollywood Sights tour before flying out in the evening. At all times on that day, if there is a major hiccup, you can simply get a taxi to the airport. (I never like leaving too much to chance on my last day).
5. You are very unlikely to need a car in San Francisco and in any case, parking can be extortionate. People talk about mobility to see things, but you can be near fishermen’s, Ghirardellis , Alcatraz, Dylan’s cycle shop, Lombard Zigzags and the Powell tram car (that takes you to Union Sq.
If you want some more, then we booked the 2 hour ‘love tour’ from Fishermen’s for our abortive March Vacation. These air cooled VW campers, hand painted, shag pile carpet, 60s music and commentary, take you to Haight Ashbury, Golden Gate Park, Over the Golden Gate and back via the Lombard Zigzags.
By then, you will have seen most of the ‘A list ‘ attractions.
6. Can help you with Yosemite(others who have been, can).
7. Monterey Cannery Row is stunning, as is the Whale watching. Accommodation is expensive.
8. LA. I don’t like the place, but others do.
9. San Diego. Along with Boston, this is the only city I have visited thus far in the USA where I would live. For me, it is the jewel in the crown of California (AIM’s sticky is a great reference as she is a resident. Very informative and helpful, too). I strongly advise a Gosandiego card if you visit. Ours was a 5day.

That gives plenty to be going on with. If you have any questions or detail, then you only have to ask via the thread or personal message.
Thanks so much for all that info very helpful indeed, I have already read your trip report and may still consider Easter although would probably have to drop Yosemite then, I’ll definitely watch out for the later August flights and could probably go into the first couple of days of September for a return date
Bazinga 39 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Buzz242 View Post
We’ve had several trips to the west coast and would definitely recommend flying in and out of different airports. The first time we flew to Vegas as it was the cheapest option then drove to Anaheim, LA and San Diego before returning to Vegas to fly home. It was a great holiday but we realised that we wasted a lot of time in the car. 2nd trip we flew to LA, then drove to SF and returned via PCH to LA and finally SD. (Still a lot of time in the car) Subsequent trips we’ve flown into SF driven up to SD then flown home from there or the opposite way round.
I would definitely save Vegas and the Grand Canyon for a different trip.
Thanks for tips I will keep an eye on the prices in and out of different airports😀
Bazinga 39 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 20, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Jamesfam
a Friend of the DIBB

When we did the west coast previously we drove inland from Monterey to speed the drive up and then we worked our way back up the coast (taking in the elephant seals). We stayed just outside Yosemite to visit there and and had 1 night in bishop on the way to Vegas via Death Valley. We got a helicopter tour to the Grand Canyon (booked via BA before we left & was so much cheaper - 6 years ago). I actually wished we’d stayed longer in Monterey and for a lot longer in Yosemite and had dropped Vegas. But, having said that the GC was amazing to see too, along with the hoover dam.
Jamesfam is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 20, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Bazinga 39
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jamesfam View Post
When we did the west coast previously we drove inland from Monterey to speed the drive up and then we worked our way back up the coast (taking in the elephant seals). We stayed just outside Yosemite to visit there and and had 1 night in bishop on the way to Vegas via Death Valley. We got a helicopter tour to the Grand Canyon (booked via BA before we left & was so much cheaper - 6 years ago). I actually wished we’d stayed longer in Monterey and for a lot longer in Yosemite and had dropped Vegas. But, having said that the GC was amazing to see too, along with the hoover dam.
Thanks for your reply, I think Vegas and the Grand Canyon will definitely be dropped if we do a shorter trip, we did a helicopter trip over the canyon 17 years ago and I was terrified😂, Monterey is one of the places I’m looking forward to most