Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 6 Sep 20, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebecca_
slightly serious Dibber

Las Vegas first timer - which hotel?

Hi everyone, we're starting to plan our holiday for next September and will have 3 nights in Las Vegas before moving to Anaheim. I'm really struggling to choose a hotel though! Can anybody offer any suggestions?

My OH wants the Bellagio but for no particular reason - I think he just sees this as the "main" hotel on the strip. I've heard it's not worth the money though so I'm not convinced.

Pool isn't important to us but we won't be driving so need somewhere with a good central location. Budget wise ideally less than £120 per night.

Any advice would be appreciated 🙂
Rebecca_ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 20, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

It’s a really tough question and you’ll get lots of positive suggestions based on where people have stayed. My take on that is that you can’t go wrong with most of the central strip hotels.

I would personally stay away from hotels at either end so it’s easier to walk the strip. I would be looking at the hotel located between The Venetian/Palazzo and New York New York/MGM. That’s not to say rule Luxor or Mandalay Bay though, it’s just easier to walk from a more central strip location.

We’ve stayed at The Venetian, Elara (several times) and MGM Grand. I’d recommend any of them. We’re staying at New York New York for a change if we go at New Year.

Remember to look at the cost of resort fees when you’re doing your research. They can be a real shock if you’ve not budgeted for them.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 20, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
myvot
Excited about Disney

If you can get a good deal at the venetian I would stay there. The rooms are amazing.

I've stayed at Treasure Island, the Mirage, NYNY and Monte Carlo. All great hotels in a great location but i would chose NYNY again because I loved the atmosphere in the hotel at night. There was live bands on or dualling pianists, coyote ugly bar. Loads to keep you entertained if you can't be bothered walking for miles. Grab a NY pizza and take it to your room.
myvot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 20, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Venetian/Palazzo for the oversize rooms or Cosmopolitan for the balcony with fountain views IMHO.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 20, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDose
Serious Dibber

As Beth said above, this is a tough question. I've visited Vegas over 20 times in my lifetime, but haven't visited in the last 6 years. There really is something for everyone in Vegas, but would agree that anywhere from the South end of the strip to the center strip is a good place to start. MGM/New York/MGM-Park would be a good bet. I personally would avoid the North end of the strip like The Strat, Circus Circus etc. I always found the North end of the strip a little too lively for my liking. I would say all hotels up to the Wynn should be on your list.

There is a monorail from the MGM Grand all the way up one side of the strip, all the way to the old Las Vegas Hilton (now Westgate I believe). The monorail is very useful for visiting different hotels on the strip and saves walking long distances in extreme temperatures. There is also another monorail between hotels on the opposite side of the strip, but it's nowhere near as extensive as the official LV Monorail at the MGM Grand.

As Beth also mentioned, take into account that all MGM & Harrahs hotels charge a Resort Fee and have done so for many years now. This fee is added to your nightly room rate and can be up to $30+. If you want a hotel on the strip that doesn't charge resort fees then take a look at Marriott's Grand Chateau. I believe they don't charge resort fees.

Bellagio is indeed beautiful and center strip, but if it's too pricey you can opt to stay at Bally's or the Flamingo which are literally across the road and will be much cheaper to stay at. If budget is no issue, the Palazzo and the Venitian have enormous rooms with sunken living rooms. I remember being very impressed when I stayed at both.

Edited at 02:08 PM.
DisneyDose is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 20, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

I have stayed at a lot of hotels on the strip. By far the best, Wynn, Venetian, Bellagio, Aria Caesars and Vdara. For a mid priced hotel in a great location I dont think you can beat Ballys. Large clean rooms with fridge, which is rare in Vegas, nice staff, great location opposite Bellagio. Are you looking for high end or mid priced?

Edited at 02:34 PM.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 20, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

I would definitely stay mid Strip just for convenience but Uber works well there so it’s not essential.

We have stayed at the Signature (MGM), Venetian, Vdara, Mandalay Bay, Bally’s, Tuscany Suites. Bally’s is in a really good position and tends to be extremely good VFM.

Venetian was my favourite though
Old 6 Sep 20, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I would definitely stay mid Strip just for convenience but Uber works well there so it’s not essential.

We have stayed at the Signature (MGM), Venetian, Vdara, Mandalay Bay, Bally’s, Tuscany Suites. Bally’s is in a really good position and tends to be extremely good VFM.

Venetian was my favourite though
Venetian used to be mine as well Karen, and said I would never stay at the Wynn due to location. Been there twice now at Encore actually, and have say Wynn was better. Worth the extra little walk up the strip to stay there Have the Wynn booked for February,for 3 nights so will need to book more nights if we get to go!
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 20, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebecca_
slightly serious Dibber

Thank you everyone, lots of great advice! The Venetian does look beautiful and seems to be in our price range so I'm definitely leaning towards that now. I like the look of Bally's too... Will keep an eye on prices.

I'm guessing it's too early to book now and I'll get a better deal closer to the time?
Rebecca_ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 20, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rebecca_ View Post
Thank you everyone, lots of great advice! The Venetian does look beautiful and seems to be in our price range so I'm definitely leaning towards that now. I like the look of Bally's too... Will keep an eye on prices.

I'm guessing it's too early to book now and I'll get a better deal closer to the time?
The Venetian is a beautiful hotel in a great position. If it's in your budget now then I'd book but only if it's a pay on arrival, fully cancellable rate. You can then keep checking the price and cancel the original booking if you can get it cheaper.

Prices do vary dependent on conferences and sporting events (UFC, boxing, NFL) and dates might not have been decided yet due to COVID.

FYI - The Venetian has one of the highest resort fees at $45 plus tax per night.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List