Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 5 May 17, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
janey2000
Excited about Disney

Planes, Trains and Automobiles (Smoky mountains - Williamsburg - Washington DC - New York) Day 14

Thursday 13th April 2017

This morning started earlier than expected, with a 3am fire alarm! Luckily it didn't take the fire brigade too long to arrive as it was chilly outside and in the rush I'd grabbed only the passports and money, not footwear for Georgia or warm clothing! Turns out it was a gust smoking in their room

Breakfast here was a bit more sophisticated than previous, the dining area was more spacious and they had a pancake machine and froot loops which Georgia enjoyed.

A good variety of donuts, we all chose something different to take with us for later on in the day.. unfortunately for Jack this is not bits of raspberry on top.. its bacon bits

We took the train back into Washington as we had a 10am bicycle rental with Bike and Roll. This cost approx. £55 for the 3 of us for 3 hours. I'm not a tour person and this suited us much better with Georgia. The cycle paths were all great and it wasn't very busy this early in the day.

We were able to cover better distances with her than walking, but the main aim was to see the cherry blossoms on the tidal Basin. Sadly the storm the week before had wiped them out

After returning the bikes at 1pm we made our way to the Capitol building.

The security here is much like at the airport, but no food as well as drinks are allowed inside. We made our way to the canteen style restaurant as I had read good reviews. There is a fair choice, but it wasn't cheap. I had a vegan thai wrap which was so yummy, Georgia stole some of it.

We returned to the hotel for around 5 and relaxed for an hour with the Starbucks coffees from the lobby (hot chocolate for Georgia) and had showers. I had no clue on where to eat for dinner so was researching on my ipad the nearby options. It looked a fair distance to any civilisation and even the ipad showed a 20 minute walk. However it really wasn't that far into the little village and we decided on Applebees. I really fancied a jacket potato (even though I had hardly had any fries this trip!) so I think I chose chicken (but gave most of it away!) Jacket potato and garlic green beans. Georgia had a cheeseburger which she would never chose at home?! Sorry for the bad photo, forgot to take it at the start of the meal!

We saw a Harris Tetter supermarket so crossed the road and got an ice cream for us to share, not my choice, before walking back to the hotel.

Pre trip report - Aug 2014 Florida and Georgia
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=794593

Edited at 10:11 AM.
janey2000 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 17, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Fab pics again , so beautiful. Not a great start with the fire alarm though.
Dinner sounds nice. You must have been hungry after the bike riding .
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 17, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
great photos
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 19, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Jesslydevie1
Very Serious Dibber

Some great pics of the sights , such a shame about the cherry blossoms.