Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 11 Jun 17, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post

downloading the disney app

Just a quick question for the disney cruise on the dream.
So far i have been successful in keeping the cruise part a secret from my daughter
so my question is the only thing i have not done is to download the disney cruise app onto her mobile phone that allows me and her to keep in contact by messenger while she is hanging out with other kids,.Is it possible to download this app on the Dream once we arrive on the ship surprise over, without having to pay for a download allowance on the ship and also not using your own over priced roaming allowance from the uk to do this download,
i cant think of any other way of doing this without letting out our final destination on holiday and spoiling the surprise..
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 17, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Right so you can sign up on the first day to wifi and get a free 5MB of internet access I believe so this could then be used to do this - you don't need to sign up to pay for internet just need to sign up for this bit. That's probably going to be the best option. Not sure you can download for free but this in effect makes it free.

Also check your mobile provider as I've notice some are now doing free roaming (vodaphone comes to mind) so worth checking
Old 12 Jun 17, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
It's 50mg on first day and it will get eaten up in a heartbeat.

If you want to do it that way, go to the t'interweb man before signing up and ask him to switch everything off that needs to be switched off (it's not just background apps).

If you decide to go for the roaming option on her own network, then make sure it connects before you reach the ship or it could connect to the ships signal which would be Bahamas normally!

I'm with o2 and it costs £5 a day, not bad if you just want to use it for a couple of days .. it's midnight to midnight (local time), not 24hrs from when you switch it on ok.
Old 12 Jun 17, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by gismo1554 View Post
Right so you can sign up on the first day to wifi and get a free 5MB of internet access I believe so this could then be used to do this - you don't need to sign up to pay for internet just need to sign up for this bit. That's probably going to be the best option. Not sure you can download for free but this in effect makes it free.

Also check your mobile provider as I've notice some are now doing free roaming (vodaphone comes to mind) so worth checking
Vodaphone are charging £5 to use your home allowance in the USso thats out of the question ..managed to find out three network have a months deal on a sim card only thats only £18 and allows great usage of unlimited texts 600min chat and 4Gb of usage and has hotspot that you can link up and use on a tablet as well so will go with this i think. but thanks for your replys very helpful
Old 12 Jun 17, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by stevb63 View Post
Vodaphone are charging £5 to use your home allowance in the USso thats out of the question ..managed to find out three network have a months deal on a sim card only thats only £18 and allows great usage of unlimited texts 600min chat and 4Gb of usage and has hotspot that you can link up and use on a tablet as well so will go with this i think. but thanks for your replys very helpful
Those £5 soon add up!
Old 19 Jun 17, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post

found out you get some free data when you board the dream but not enough to download the app for the cruise..you would think they would allow this to be done free of charge ...
Old 20 Jun 17, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

found out you get some free data when you board the dream but not enough to download the app for the cruise..you would think they would allow this to be done free of charge ...
This was what I was referring to above. I would have thought it would have been enough to download the app mind but maybe not.
Old 20 Jun 17, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by gismo1554 View Post
This was what I was referring to above. I would have thought it would have been enough to download the app mind but maybe not.
Sarah is right Steve, the 50mgs is normally enough as others do it. Just make sure you go to the t'interweb man before signing up for the free 50mg or your phone will just eat it all. I cannot stress enough that a visit to the t'interweb man will save you some hassle.
Old 23 Jun 17, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
Sarah is right Steve, the 50mgs is normally enough as others do it. Just make sure you go to the t'interweb man before signing up for the free 50mg or your phone will just eat it all. I cannot stress enough that a visit to the t'interweb man will save you some hassle.
hi thanks for that reassurance ,i did phone up disney cruise and it was the female on the phone who confirmed what was said on this thread about the small allowance ,but it was her who said it might not be enough to download this app ... i will go with what is said on this page as the dibbers usually know best... so its just a case of counting down the days.
Old 23 Jun 17, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
hi thanks for that reassurance ,i did phone up disney cruise and it was the female on the phone who confirmed what was said on this thread about the small allowance ,but it was her who said it might not be enough to download this app ... i will go with what is said on this page as the dibbers usually know best... so its just a case of counting down the days.
Oh my goodness, 4 weeks to go!

The reps on the DCL phone lines have generally never set foot on board one of the ships so definitely take what they say with a pinch of salt.