Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 4 Jul 17, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Rodeo

Was just trying to decide which rodeo to visit mid August but Kissismee showing closed for renovation for three months, and Silver Spurs shows no dates? Anyone been recently?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 17, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Kate
Very Serious Dibber

I noticed that too! We go in September and was really looking forward to it. Do you know when it reopens?
Old 4 Jul 17, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Carolynmf
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Look at Westgate river ranch
Carolynmf is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 17, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post

Update

Had e=mail from Silver Spur their next event is 29/30 - 9-17. Nothing on the other one. Went to Westgate a couple of years ago and really enjoyed, just fancied a change and it`s a bit far out.
Old 6 Jul 17, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Kate
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I have been to Westgate too. It was good but prefer the Kissimmee one as Westgate is quite far away.
Old 6 Jul 17, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
ianc
Apprentice Imagineer

I was at the last Kissimmee Rodeo in mid-May. The reason it is currently closed is Osceola County are extending Hoagland Blvd southwards down through their property. It is a 4 lane dual carriageway which is quite wide, so they are losing a large slice of their land - basically everything right up to the edge of the arena itself (on the right hand side if sitting in the stand) where they ride in. Consequently, they are forced to revamp it on the land that is left to them, which will take a few months. I'm sure their website originally said it was closed in June/July/Aug/Sept with later months not mentioned in the list, but Sept is now no longer in the list, so perhaps there is a chance that might be when they hope to start again?
The Silver Spurs Rodeo is a specific event that takes place at the Silver Spurs Arena twice a year in February and June. It claims to be the biggest rodeo east of the Mississippi. The Arena is not specifically for rodeos - it is general purpose - like the NEC.
The event in September also at the Silver Spurs Arena is a bit different. It is the Finals of the Florida Cattlemen's Association Ranch Rodeo competition. This is a team competition from working ranches, rather than individuals, i.e. people whose job is a cowboys. We went to the one last year. Only $10 to get in - pay at the door - the single 'cash only' window had the shortest queue, as everybody else seemed to be paying by card. We were the only people wearing shorts and T-shirts, so obviously visitors - everyone else seemed to be real cowboys. The AC was really powerful, so we almost froze to death, so jeans and long-sleeved shirt would be good to keep warm as well as fitting in. The catering options were very poor to non-existent. Lot of market stalls selling goods. I think there was a Cowboy Heritage Festival during the day in the grounds (country fair type thing) but didn't go to that. I am there again this September, so will probably go again. There are not many unique events for only $10!

Edited at 08:18 PM. Reason: correction
ianc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 17, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanx everyone

Gutted will miss the rodeo this time... excuse to go back! :angry:
Old 12 Jul 17, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
susie
Imagineer

susie's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
can you go anytime or is there only something on a certain times of the year. thanks

susie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 17, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Kate
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by ianc View Post
I was at the last Kissimmee Rodeo in mid-May. The reason it is currently closed is Osceola County are extending Hoagland Blvd southwards down through their property. It is a 4 lane dual carriageway which is quite wide, so they are losing a large slice of their land - basically everything right up to the edge of the arena itself (on the right hand side if sitting in the stand) where they ride in. Consequently, they are forced to revamp it on the land that is left to them, which will take a few months. I'm sure their website originally said it was closed in June/July/Aug/Sept with later months not mentioned in the list, but Sept is now no longer in the list, so perhaps there is a chance that might be when they hope to start again?
The Silver Spurs Rodeo is a specific event that takes place at the Silver Spurs Arena twice a year in February and June. It claims to be the biggest rodeo east of the Mississippi. The Arena is not specifically for rodeos - it is general purpose - like the NEC.
The event in September also at the Silver Spurs Arena is a bit different. It is the Finals of the Florida Cattlemen's Association Ranch Rodeo competition. This is a team competition from working ranches, rather than individuals, i.e. people whose job is a cowboys. We went to the one last year. Only $10 to get in - pay at the door - the single 'cash only' window had the shortest queue, as everybody else seemed to be paying by card. We were the only people wearing shorts and T-shirts, so obviously visitors - everyone else seemed to be real cowboys. The AC was really powerful, so we almost froze to death, so jeans and long-sleeved shirt would be good to keep warm as well as fitting in. The catering options were very poor to non-existent. Lot of market stalls selling goods. I think there was a Cowboy Heritage Festival during the day in the grounds (country fair type thing) but didn't go to that. I am there again this September, so will probably go again. There are not many unique events for only $10!
Thanks for this. Interesting.

What a shame there's going to be a duel carriageway so close to the arena. :angry:
Old 12 Jul 17, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
LaughingPlace
slightly serious Dibber

LaughingPlace's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

Never even considered this, is it a good night?
LaughingPlace is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List