Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 9 Jul 17, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

What we learned in New York - Mon 19th June 2017 - Empire State, Brooklyn Bridge, Ellens Stardust

Day 4 is HERE

What we learned in New York – Monday 19th June 2017

Empire State Building, Brooklyn Bridge, Ellens Stardust Diner

I woke up today at 8.09am – LATE! I couldn’t believe it, my body clock had totally let me down. I jumped straight out of bed and into the shower. We were going to the Empire State Building this morning and I had wanted to be there about 8.30am. Well, that wasn’t going to happen now!

We left the hotel about 10 past 9 and went down 8th Avenue until we reached Tick Tock Diner. I had calmed down now and decided it wasn’t the end of the world if we weren’t at Empire State at the crack of dawn so we were going to stop for breakfast here. This was our only cooked breakfast of the holiday and it was really good. We both had coffee of course, and eggs, ham and hash brown. We got toast as well, which we hadn’t asked for but noticed had been added to the bill anyway. I didn’t bother complaining as we had enjoyed our breakfast and it was cheap enough.

After breakfast we walked up to the Empire State Building. As we were walking up the street we were talking about how unreal it still seemed to be walking up a fairly ordinary street and there was the Empire State Building in front of us. Honestly, the whole holiday seemed a bit unreal, it was somewhere we had wanted to visit for a long time and we couldn’t quite believe we were there.

We went straight into the building, had our Explorer Passes scanned and joined a short queue for security. Despite hearing tales of long queues round the block for most attractions before we arrived here, we had walked straight into every attraction we had visited with very little queuing. The staff here were really friendly and very smartly dressed. We had our photo taken, although the photographer was so quick that we hardly noticed!

It’s a lovely building inside, quite ornate with lots of marble. After security there is a display area showing how environmentally friendly and economical the building is.

Next, we joined another queue for the lift. The staff split us up into sections for each lift. Within minutes we were in the lift and on the first viewing platform. This area is completely enclosed and has displays showing how the building was built and information about it. We browsed here for a few minutes and then decided to walk up the 6 floors to the next level.

I really struggled again with the stairs, I was really breathless and this break has really highlighted how unfit I am. Time to do something about it I think. However, once I got there the views were really great. Both Neil and I were really impressed with the Empire State Building and thought the views were better then from TOTR. It was less crowded as well.

Here we are...

And here are some of the amazing views…

We stayed here for quite a while, it was a nice day, warm but a bit breezy and we were just enjoying the views. When we were ready to go, we got the lift back down but before leaving we decided to have a look at our photo which we had no intention of buying but it was quite good so we decided we would buy it after all. We paid up and left the building, back down the street towards subway near Macys. We got the D train, then changed to the A train for Brooklyn. Changing trains was much easier than we expected it to be.

Every morning we went onto the MTA app and took a screenshot of our Subway route for the day.

We got off at High Street in Brooklyn and put on suncream as it was really hot now. While we were doing this we were trying to work out where to go to get to the Brooklyn Bridge. There was a group of girls had got off at the same stop and we overheard someone else who had got off here telling them the way. In the end it was really simple, just cross the road and under the underpass, following the road to the right and there is a set of narrow steps onto the bridge. Once we crossed the road, there was a small sign showing the way as well. There is a map at the entrance to the bridge, and we had a look at it, debating whether we would venture into Brooklyn for some food. However, I was feeling a bit nervous about not knowing where to go and concerned that if we wandered off we wouldn’t be able to find the entrance again so we decided just to go ahead and walk the bridge. There was a stall selling water at the entrance to the bridge so we bought a bottle each, $6 – extortionate! When we got to the other side there was a guy selling bottles of water for $1 each.

It was nice up on the bridge, and we just took our time, strolling along. Once in a while we would stop and sit to have some water and just take in our surroundings. It was still hot but there was a nice breeze on the bridge. We saw Jane’s Carousel from the bridge and I was immediately disappointed that I hadn’t been a bit braver and ventured under the bridge to have a closer look as we realised it would have been really easy to get around over there. Another one to add to the “next time” list.

We took lots of photos on the way back to Manhattan…

The walk over the bridge was shorter than we thought it would be so when we got back to Manhattan we decided to go and look for One Police Plaza which we knew was quite close by. We watch so many New York based police programmes that Neil was particularly keen to visit here. We found it fairly easily, and had a wander around. It was surprisingly quiet there, no cop cars to be seen there at the front.

We found the Courthouse nearby, and had to take some pictures here. Again, we’ve seen this building on so many TV programmes so we had to go up it’s famous steps.

Undecided what to do next, we started walking back uptown through Chinatown but it was really hot and sunny now so we decided to get the Subway. I quickly checked the Subway app to see which line to take. We were finding using the Subway really easy and a great way to get around.

We took the Subway all the way up to 49th Street so we could go to Ellen’s Stardust Diner for lunch. We got seated straight away and as we weren’t really hungry we just chose a starter each. We both had mozzarella triangles and I had a strawberry daquiri and Neil had 2 beers. $55.42 + tip + money in the bucket!

We had been led to believe that the food here wasn’t up to much, but we really enjoyed ours. We were sitting downstairs with the singers walkway just behind me. The singers were good and we enjoyed the experience much more than we thought we would.

When we had finished our lunch we decided to walk from Ellens up to Central Park to walk round some of the sites we missed on our bike tour. There was a booth which said “free maps” as we entered the park but when I went to get one the guy charged me $2. I didn’t bother to argue, I just paid up, Neil wasn’t best pleased! The map was actually quite hard to read, there are so many little paths all over the place it’s difficult to figure out exactly which path you’re on. We found our way down past the carousel and round the edge of Sheep Meadow. We went down a wide walkway where people were skateboarding and eventually came to the Bow Bridge.

While we were here the clouds had started to gather and we could hear thunder rumbling in the distance. We walked from the Bow Bridge through a wooded area, Neil was looking for bodies in the bushes as every TV show we watch based in New York has bodies in the bushes in Central Park! Luckily he didn’t find any. We continued down past the Loeb Boathouse where we refilled our water bottles from the drinking fountain. We headed east now out of the park coming out about 71st Street and 5th Avenue. We decided to walk down 5th Avenue until we found a subway, but it was all the way down at 59th Street before we found one. While we were walking down 5th Avenue it was getting very thundery and it sounded close now. We were quite confident we would get back to our hotel before the storm came. It was forecast for 7pm and it was only around 5pm now. We got the (crowded) Subway back to 42nd Street/Times Square but as we climbed the steps out of the Subway we realised that people were backed up all down the steps as it was absolutely pouring down and no-one wanted to exit.

We waited a few minutes then decided that the rain wasn’t going to stop so we would be as well just get going. Neil had the umbrella and I put on my (not!) showerproof jacket. Within seconds we were soaked through for the second time this holiday. For some reason we got a bit disorientated with which way we were going and I was convinced we were going the wrong way down the street so we turned and went back up. Eventually I realised we were going further away from our hotel so we had to turn again and go back the way we came. I was so annoyed, partly with myself for getting the direction wrong, but also with the weather. It had been such a lovely day, and now we were dripping wet and squelching through puddles to get home. I noticed that I had this storm warning on my phone...

We got back to the hotel eventually, dried off, changed and chilled for a while. Even though the storm was still going strong, we got ready as if to go out and went down to the hotel bar for a while to see if the rain would go off. We stayed a while in the bar tonight, I had 2 mojitos and then some water and Neil had some beers. It was a local beer the barman had been giving him and he really liked it. While we were there, we logged on and checked in for our flights the next day. We also discussed whether we would venture out in the rain for dinner. We fancied trying Juniors but in the end decided it was too far to go tonight with the weather being so bad. So we decided to go to Times Square Diner which was just along the road on 8th Avenue. We chatted with Tyler the barman for a while and he told us that reception would lend us umbrellas. It was about 8.30pm when we left to go out and the rain had eased a bit although it was still on.

We got seated straight away in the Times Square Diner and I chose the Turkey Dinner, Neil chose the Meatloaf, only because the meatloaf I had had in Scallywags the other day had been so good. Both of our meals came with a bowl of lentil soup. The soup was nice, but not like the lentil soup we make at home, it was much thicker and spicier.

My turkey dinner was fine, but Neil didn’t like his meatloaf at all, it was just like a big burger but didn’t taste nice. The broccoli was really hard too, uncooked really. It came with a side of mac & cheese, which he said was really good. The portions were huge, far too much food for us and we both left quite a lot on the plate. Total $52 + tip.

We were back at the hotel about 10pm and returned our umbrellas to reception. I wrote up my notes for a while and Neil watched TV. This had been our last full day and we chatted about what we would do tomorrow until it was time to go the airport as we were headed home tomorrow evening.

What we learned today: We should have ventured into Brooklyn, do everything you want to do so there are no regrets later; The Avenues are so far apart, it’s really hard to figure out which way is East or West; We much preferred the views from Empire State Building to TOTR.

Day 6 is HERE

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022

Edited at 07:37 PM.
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 17, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
paulaandhappy
Very Serious Dibber

Looks like you had a great time we have been a couple of times and back again in September.
We had to find One Police Plaza last time we went as well as we also watch loads of US police shows like Blue Bloods And SVU, we also visited the Courthouse and asked if we could go in they said we could as it was a public building . We had to go through airport type security but once in it is a lovely building with decorated ceilings didn't go into any of the rooms though just the main entrance.
:pop:June 06 Imperial swan, Aug 07 Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando, Aug 08 Crowne Plaza Universal, Feb 09Fairfield Inn & Suites Int Dr,Nov 09 Extended Stay Deluxe Orlando Convention Centre Universal Boulevard, Sept 10 Homewood Suites Sept 11 Extended Stay Deluxe Universal BoulevardFeb 12 Homewood Suites Int DriveFeb 13 Comfort Inn & Suites Canada Ave Feb 2014 Rosen Inn Pointe Orlando Aug 2014 Enclave Suites Feb 2016 Comfort Inn and Suites Canada Ave April 2017 AllStars Music&Staysky Suites
paulaandhappy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 17, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Another fab day. Brooklyn bridge looks great, really quiet. We plan on walking Brooklyn bridge. As we will have kids with us aged 12 and 10 we are going to let them have a play in Brooklyn Bridge Park. Also, Ellen's Stardust diner is on my list of places to eat, I'm glad you had fun.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 17, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by paulaandhappy View Post

Looks like you had a great time we have been a couple of times and back again in September.
We had to find One Police Plaza last time we went as well as we also watch loads of US police shows like Blue Bloods And SVU, we also visited the Courthouse and asked if we could go in they said we could as it was a public building . We had to go through airport type security but once in it is a lovely building with decorated ceilings didn't go into any of the rooms though just the main entrance.
Blue Bloods and SVU are 2 of our faves! We didn't know you could go into the Courthouse, we just wandered up and down the steps Aw well, next time... thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Another fab day. Brooklyn bridge looks great, really quiet. We plan on walking Brooklyn bridge. As we will have kids with us aged 12 and 10 we are going to let them have a play in Brooklyn Bridge Park. Also, Ellen's Stardust diner is on my list of places to eat, I'm glad you had fun.
Brooklyn Bridge was quieter than I thought it would be. Plenty of benches to have a rest for a while. I think we will definitely explore Brooklyn more the next time... hope the kids enjoy the park.

Ellen's was better than expected, worth a visit. It is expensive though, we were over $50 for 3 drinks and 2 starters!

Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 17, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Jane71
Very Serious Dibber

Another great day. ESB looks lovely. Everyone seems to say that TOTR is better but I think we'll definitely visit ESB as its such an iconic building. You seemed to fit quite alot in. Central Park and Brooklyn Bridge are definitely on our list.
Jane71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 17, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Jane71 View Post
Another great day. ESB looks lovely. Everyone seems to say that TOTR is better but I think we'll definitely visit ESB as its such an iconic building. You seemed to fit quite alot in. Central Park and Brooklyn Bridge are definitely on our list.
ESB is a beautiful building both inside and out. We found it much less crowded for getting photos. Central Park and Brooklyn Bridge are both nice things to do... and free! We particularly enjoyed walking the Brooklyn Bridge

Old 11 Jul 17, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
i love jack
Apprentice Imagineer

Great views fromESB breakfast looks good too,
How long did it take to walk over Brooklyn bridge?
Old 11 Jul 17, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by i love jack View Post
Great views fromESB breakfast looks good too,
How long did it take to walk over Brooklyn bridge?
The views were fab from ESB and it was quite relaxing up there as well.

I think it took us about 40 minutes to walk but we were just strolling along with lots of photo and water stops.

Old 12 Jul 17, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Lynda, I am deeply envious of the n queue experience . Twice we had horrible waits at ES. Worth it, but tested our queueing limits ! Fab pics today again , looks lovely and some sunshine , hurrah.
Ellen's is quite an experience isn't ? Glad the food was good there for you .
Boo to the unexpected downpour and a shame dinner was a bit of a let down for Neil. You are having mixed success in the eating front.
I am still chuckling at him looking for bodies in the bushes .. It's so true !
WileyCoyote is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 17, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
Lynda, I am deeply envious of the n queue experience . Twice we had horrible waits at ES. Worth it, but tested our queueing limits ! Fab pics today again , looks lovely and some sunshine , hurrah.
Ellen's is quite an experience isn't ? Glad the food was good there for you .
Boo to the unexpected downpour and a shame dinner was a bit of a let down for Neil. You are having mixed success in the eating front.
I am still chuckling at him looking for bodies in the bushes .. It's so true !
Honestly Amanda, I came to the conclusion that everyone was lying to us about the queues... we didn't wait for a single thing! ESB was so good, a much more relaxing experience than TOTR.

That rain came out of nowhere and it was so heavy... trust us to get lost in a downpour Yes, the food was a bit hit or miss... more research required for next time I think.

I think Neil was disappointed that he didn't get to call 911