Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Jul 17, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Firewok
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

One shot at Orlando - all your best tips please

So at the tender ages of 43 and 44 we are planning a (first time) trip to Orlando the last two weeks in September. We do not have any children and this may be the one and only trip we take to this area of the US so we really would like to make the most of it.

This forum comes highly recommended as the one stop shop for all the good information. So my questions to you are what would you do without children, where would you eat, visit, shop, play. What experiences should we not miss, what parks should we visit?

We are staying at the Hilton at SeaWorld and, for various reasons, will not be hiring a car but we are quite happy to use all other forms of transport. We would like to have restful as well as busy days and would also like to fit in a short trip to Miami. Whilst we do not have an unlimited budget it is fairly flexible.

We still think we are in our 20's so we are really open to anything from water parks, exhibitions, dinner and a show and anything in between. All suggestions will be absolutely gratefully received, thank you.
Firewok is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 17, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Bridget
Imagineer

Without a doubt get to Halloween Horror Nights. A Frequent Fear ticket is great value. You can get into Universal early in the holding areas and get into houses before the stampede at 6pm. Last year's event was one of my favourites and we got some fantastic scares going through houses with hardly anyone else.

There is so much to do in two weeks personally I wouldn't do the Miami trip unless you are flying in/out of the city. It's a hell of a long way. to go for a night or two.

It all depends what you're into. If you're into coasters and thrill rides then the Universal/SeaWorld parks are for you.

Eating places around your area I would visit Millers Ale House, Bahama Breeze, Longhorns.

The Itrolley up and down I-drive is good value and can get you places - I-drive is huge. Lots of bars/eating places, good night time vibe. The area below Sandlake crossing is nicer than the northern side, but you have Universal and Citywalk up there too. Drinks are expensive at Citywalk. Last year we paid nearly $20 for two ciders! At Millers they were about $6 for two (same brand - Angry Orchard).

Eating at theme parks can be expensive and not great..

Breakfasts are good at Cracker Barrel, Perkins, Dennys. Best we found was Keke's but you would need a car really to get there.

Edited at 01:30 PM.
Bridget is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 17, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

There is a great duelling piano bar on the boardwalk called Jellyrolls. Good for 40yo going on 20yo.

Also might be worth considering ifly in Orlando and an airboat ride.

If not using car suggest getting a mapman map of Orlando.(has i-ride and bus stops)

Plus have a look at the uber sticky in the cars and transportation sub forum.

Have a great time.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 17, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
grinner82
Imagineer

grinner82's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 19
Guidebook Photos: 83
Guidebook Reviews: 10
There is a lot to take in, read the DIBB Guide Book, immerse yourself !

You can do as little or as much as you like . All of it is worth seeing but you will need to choose based on your specific tastes.

Disney - 6 parks ( 2 water parks)
Universal -3 Parks ( 1 water park)
Seaworld 2 parks ( 1 water park)

These are the main ones and you can easily spend 2 weeks in Disney and many do on their first visit as there is just too much to see. Look at all the information and then form a basic plan of action , then over the months tweek the plan as you learn more!
Old 17 Jul 17, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

#1 Tip - Locate the trip report forums on here and grab a cuppa (or 10!) It's a great way of finding out what you may or may not enjoy.

#2 Tip - Don't bank on this being a once and done trip You might be in the very small minority, but I'd say the vast majority of people that have been want to go back again and again (and again, and again!)

The most relaxing day we've ever had is the one we spent at Discovery Cove. We've booked to go back to DC next year, but as non-swim. We love it there!
2022 - Margaritaville & RPR --- 2023 - Villa & RPR & Surfside
Shani is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 17, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Shani View Post
#1 Tip - Locate the trip report forums on here and grab a cuppa (or 10!) It's a great way of finding out what you may or may not enjoy.

#2 Tip - Don't bank on this being a once and done trip You might be in the very small minority, but I'd say the vast majority of people that have been want to go back again and again (and again, and again!)

The most relaxing day we've ever had is the one we spent at Discovery Cove. We've booked to go back to DC next year, but as non-swim. We love it there!
I was also going to say that this may not be your only visit

On our first trip in 1990 we were both 44. Admittedly we had teenage girls with us at the time but we're soon heading back for trip number 32. At least 25 of those have just been the two of us.

Mick
Old 17 Jul 17, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Someone's beaten me to my suggestion for a childless couple: Jelly Rolls. It really is great fun. Stay all evening if you can. They don't do food though, so grab a meal on the Boardwalk before you head there - Big River Grille & Brewing Works is a good spot, particularly if you like proper beer!

Uber it home when you're done for the night.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 17, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Firewok
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Thank you for the advice so far, really helpful to know what people have enjoyed

I have begun the monumental task of starting to read other threads and the reports. Who knew that a *reasonably* professional, responsible 40 something COULD GET SO EXCITED about a holiday . That is not something I have felt about holidays for a very long time...
Firewok is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 17, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Firewok View Post
Thank you for the advice so far, really helpful to know what people have enjoyed

I have begun the monumental task of starting to read other threads and the reports. Who knew that a *reasonably* professional, responsible 40 something COULD GET SO EXCITED about a holiday . That is not something I have felt about holidays for a very long time...
I can guarantee that we two 70+ retirees still get excited about Orlando. We haven't done any parks since 2010 either (except MVMCP in 2014) and we are returning to Highgate Park for the tenth time we never ever get bored.

Always something new to try as well as the tried and trusted stuff.
Old 17 Jul 17, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
EatandPlay
Apprentice Imagineer
- DIBB Advertiser -

International Drive about 2+ miles north of you has tons of dining and entertainment options for adults. It's my personal favourite area. You can catch the I Ride Trolley and may want to get a pass - for a fortnight it's $18. If you don't already have uber on your phone, you should get it. There really is lots to do in Orlando besides the parks. But for the parks, get there early as you can - they fill up fast and the queues can be maddening. First time in Orlando is going to be great fun so just go with the flow and enjoy.