Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 30 Apr 07, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post

Let's Eat! - Narcoossee's

Our first attempt to eat at Narcoossee’s was a disaster. The place was packed to the rafters, it was extremely loud, the hostess was sullen and we had to stand around in the reception area for a table as there was no room at the bar.
Half an hour later and there was still no sign of a table so we left and ate elsewhere.
Narcoossee’s was struck off the list!

But that was four years ago, and after reading the very tempting menu and hearing lots of favourable reports of late; we thought perhaps it was time to give it another try.

The restaurant is built on a jetty over the Seven Seas Lagoon, which combined with the wooden floors, makes the noise carry and echo so it’s never going to be a very quiet space - we just hoped it wouldn’t be half as noisy as before.
A waiter from Citricos (who worked at Narcoossee’s years previously) told us that live musicians used to play there, but they had to give it up as the echoes were bouncing around so much they couldn’t hear themselves!
To avoid encountering the overly loud/long wait problem this time, we made our ADRs for 6:30pm (two hours earlier than previously) so we could eat before the crowd and noise levels built up.

After a delightful 15 minute wander along the lakeside from our room at the Poly, we arrived at Narcoossee’s ready for our pre-dinner cocktail.
When we checked in we asked if we could have a table by the window. They said yes, but it would mean we’d have to wait about twenty minutes.
No problem at all, we’d come early for drinks anyway, so we adjourned to the bar.
The bar felt much cosier than I’d thought it would, and we’ve made a note to come back just for drinks and an appetiser, sometime in the future.
The noise levels were not too bad at all this evening – although they did increase significantly as the evening wore on.

Our drinks were expertly mixed, tasted excellent and had the requisite kick!
A Margarita for me (here it’s called a Narcarita) and an Appletini for Paul.

True to their word, twenty minutes later we were called to our window side table.
We’d already salivated over the menu and whetted our appetites whilst at the bar, so we quickly ordered our starter.
Frisee, Watercress and Apple Salad with White Cheddar, Candied Hazelnuts and Apple Cider Vinaigrette.

We decided to share the salad which they kindly served up on two separate plates. As you can see in the photo a half portion was still pretty generous.
The combination of ingredients was just right, and we both really enjoyed it.
The bread was a nice crusty sourdough and there was plenty of butter, sprinkled with Hawaiian sea salt, which gave a lovely savoury crunch.

Wine tonight was Silverado, Fantasia, Sangiovese Blend, Napa Valley ’04
Not cheap at $16.50 a glass but oh so very delicious and satisfying; full bodied and fruity with a good long finish.
This turned out to be our most favourite wine of the holiday, and we’d sampled a few Most of them were cheaper, one or two were more expensive, all of them were delicious, but this one was definitely the winner!
The Silverado vineyards are owned and run by Walt Disney’s daughter Diane and her husband Ron Miller, by the way.
I’ve been impressed with all of the Silverado wines I’ve had the pleasure of drinking, but this one was outstanding.

As we were finishing our salad the lights were dimmed really low, the familiar music was piped in and the fireworks began.
Everything in the restaurant seemed to come to a standstill and the lively atmosphere became relatively quiet.
It was really rather romantic and we settled back to enjoy Wishes, whilst savouring our lovely wine.
We had an amazing view, better even than we’d hoped for.
I was a bit concerned that we’d be unable to see the fireworks, even though we had a window table, as many people go outside to watch them thus blocking the view.
But only a few guests braved the cold tonight, and they were right down the other end of the deck.
I was also concerned that our main courses would arrive any minute and spoil the romance of it all - and on a slightly more practical note, I didn’t want to eat in the dark!
But everything was timed perfectly and as soon as the fireworks ended and the lights went back up, as if by magic, our dinner arrived.

Paul had the Vegetarian entrée;
Red Pepper and Mushroom Risotto, Sautéed Swiss Chard with Mushrooms and Asparagus.

I could tell by the number of ‘mmm-mmms’ that he was transported straight to Veggie Heaven.
He loved the combination of the rich, wild mushrooms, bitter chard and sweet baby tomatoes. He doesn’t usually choose to eat risotto but this one was converting him fast - he said it was bursting with flavour.
Asparagus is one of his favourite vegetables, so that was just a bonus.
He was a very happy veggie!

I chose Grilled Salmon with Toasted Pistachios Mashed Yukon Potatoes, Wilted Chard and Madeira and Saffron Sauce.

The salmon was moist and flavourful and the pistachio nuts added a nice textural contrast.
I think that saffron can sometimes be a bit overpowering, but not today - the sauce was perfectly balanced.
The whole meal tasted gorgeous and I was very pleased with my choice.

We didn’t have a dessert or the elusive cheese plate. I really wish we had though as they sounded scrumptious, but both of us were too full up to do them any kind of justice.
Anyway we were convinced we’d be returning in a few days, and we’d sample them then.

We had a fabulous meal and left Narccoossee’s full and satisfied.
My mind (as ever) was on the next meal and on our way out I lingered by the open kitchen area to watch, while the Chef served up a plate of Grilled Scallops with Butternut Squash Risotto and Lobster Oil.
It looked fantastic and the aroma was utterly divine – I knew what I was having next time!

Regretfully though, I didn’t get to taste it as we never did get back to Narcoossee’s before the end of our holiday. So I’ll just have to wait till we go back in October!
I can’t wait to get on and make the reservation – for Narcoossee’s and I have some unfinished business, of the culinary kind!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 07, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Chelle27
Imagineer

Chelle27's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Wow! Everything looks absolutely divine! I'm so glad you enjoyed it Sue.

The butternut squash risotto sounds delicious, I lurve butternut squash!

http://photobucket.com/albums/v495/OrlandoBelle/Glitter%20sigs/Chelle2.gif

Hawthorn Suites @ Seaworld July 2005
High Grove, Clermont, July 2006
The Bad Hair Trip Report - July 2005

The Your Eyes Are Bigger Than Your Bellie Trippie - August 2006
Chelle27 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 07, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post

Sue - your reports always make me so hungry!
Old 30 Apr 07, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post

Me too I'm starved now! The veg option looks delish!
Old 30 Apr 07, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Leanne1977
Imagineer

Leanne1977's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I have been desperately waiting for this report Sue and it didnt disappoint.

I can't wait to have a lovely romantic meal with my DH here whilst the kids are at the Neverland Club.
We have an ADR for 6.50pm so hopefully we will have a lovely meal and a great view of Wishes.

WDW Villa Jul/Aug 2005
DLP SL Jan/Feb 2006, DCR Feb 2007, Cheyenne Feb 2008, NB Nov 2009, Ibis July 2010
WDW Pop Sept 2006
WDW ASM/HRH/POP Sept 2007 free DDP
WDW Regal Sun/SSR/CIAS May 2008
WDW CIAS/RPR/Cypress Pointe GV Aug 2008
WDW Highgate Park/AKV/BCV Dec 2008
WDW SSR/Pop May 2009
WDW RPR/BCV/BWV/VB/VWL/OKW/Kidani/DCL Jul/Aug 2009
WDW Dibb Villa/Regal Sun May 2010
WDW BCV/VB/DCL Oct/Nov 2010 Wedding trip!
WDW SSR/Dibb Villa/VB Oct 2011 1st wedding anniversary trip!
WDW OKW/VB/Peabody Aug 2013
Leanne1977 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 07, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post

So glad your meal didn't disappoint, the food looks and sounds gorgeous. Tummy rumbling here too!
Old 30 Apr 07, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
anfield05
Imagineer

anfield05's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
the food looks delicious sue,i think i'll have to have another look at my adr's now to see if i can fit this in!
HILTON BONNET CREEK MARCH 2014
ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE SEPTEMBER 2017
anfield05 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 07, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
voddygirl
Imagineer

Another great report Sue food looks lovely glad you werent disappointed

Sept 1992 and 1996-Travelodge Maingate East
Sept 1997-Econolodge Hawaiin West
April 2004-Travelodge Maingate East
Sept 2006-Quality Inn Plaza
Oct 2008-Southern Dunes-Dibb villa
Jan 2010-The Dolphin & HRH-My 40th & Sept 2nd trip
Dec 2012 The Retreat Legacy Park -Dibb villa
March 2017 HRH Chicago
Sep 2017 The Retreat Legacy Park-Dibb villa
March 2018 Avanti Resort & HRH Daytona
voddygirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 07, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Yummy yummy, you never disappoint with your descriptions as well as the photos Sue!
I'd have to try those scallops!

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 07, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post

Thank you for the kind comments. I'm glad you are enjoying the reports.
I'm trying to lose a bit of weight and writing about yummy grub helps me to stop eating it

Narcoossee's was even better than we thought it would be and I'm so glad we gave it another chance.
Sorry the pics aren't the best quality. The light was a bit weird and I don't like to use flash in the evenings - I don't want to draw attention to the fact that I'm taking pics of my dinner

Hope your meal is even more wonderful than ours was Leanne