Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 30 Nov 04, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post

Bountiful Buffets - Part One

Boma (AKL)

This is the third time we’ve eaten here, and we’re still finding new and different things on the buffet to try, as well as enjoying old faves.
We made a PS for 8.20pm in the hope that it would be a bit quieter after the main dining rush. It was starting to wind down when we arrived, and by 9.30pm the place was almost empty.

I was very excited to see the BBQ Ribs on the buffet tonight. They were sticky, sweet and very tasty, though some were a bit on the fatty side. Never mind, just get a few more!
The spicy Durban Baked Chicken was still very good, as was the Prime Rib.

I didn’t have much in the way of salady stuff apart from the Avocado and Papaya one. I went back twice for that!
Paul found his Carrot Soup to be far too sweet this time, but loved his Green Beans and Tofu in Coconut Curry Sauce. He had it with some Falafel and Saffron Rice. He also managed a plate of Roasted Veggies, and Spicy Potatoes with Tomato Sauce.

I think my best item overall tonight was the Coconut Curried Chicken Soup.
It was more like a stew – perfect comfort food. I knew I couldn’t eat too much of it tonight though. Not if I wanted dessert!

The Zebra Domes are still my favourite little temptation and a number of them slipped down rather too swiftly – as did the odd Mousse Crunch!
I missed out on the Pineapple Cheesecake. Paul said it was very good, and it had a white chocolate base! Doh!

As usual we were stuffed to the gills and it was time to waddle home, unable to contemplate ever eating again!

(That very night, I did however wake up in a cold sweat, when I realised I’d forgotten to try some of the Nut Crusted Salmon! Nooooooooo!

Just one little niggle to add. Our server asked us what we’d like to drink. I ordered some wine, and then asked for some water also. He brought us a bottle of mineral water, already opened and half poured into glasses. OK, I didn’t specifically request tap water, and of course it did taste better than Florida tap water, but it was $5.50! I couldn’t be bothered making a deal of it, but it did irritate me a bit.

We still like Boma very much, and intend to try it out for breakfast on our next visit.

Trail’s End (FW)

After a busy morning at the Magic Kingdom, we took the launch over to Fort Wilderness. The peaceful boat ride is a welcome break from the hustle and bustle of the park, and you disembark to a completely different, natural and rustic environment.

We’ve never been to Trail’s End before, and I asked to have a look around the buffet as I’d heard it was a bit limited. I always get a bit paranoid that Paul will struggle with a lack of veggie items.
There was no need though (as usual, says Paul) as there were plenty of salad items on offer. There were also sautéed veggies such as peppers, red onion, and squash, along with rice and stoved potatoes.
I got chatting to the chef and he made Paul an enormous grilled veggie and Portobello mushroom sandwich. (Not that I needed it, says Paul)

After some fresh tasting salad, I had fried chicken, red skinned potatoes, grilled veggies and some chicken and bacon casserole.
I also sampled the pizza; they had cheese and tomato or pepperoni. I wasn’t too keen on the pizza here. The cheese tasted rather strange. Others seemed to be enjoying it though, so it might just be me.

There was also some chilli and some soup on offer that I didn’t have room to try. I missed out on the sandwiches too! An enormous Turkey and Ham Sub, and slices of a Wrap of some kind were available on the buffet.
I didn’t miss out on dessert though! We both had the warm Apple Cobbler. I found some Vanilla Pudding (that tastes like custard to me) in the salad cabinet, next to the jelly. I love cold custard!
We could have had pastries or muffins too, but we were far too stuffed!

Trail’s End is extremely good value at $10.99 and that includes drinks!
I love the Pioneer Trail setting and I noticed that the children were happily entertained with crayons and such.

After lunch we wandered around the small petting farm and paid a visit to the beautiful, but frighteningly enormous horses at the Tri Circle D barn.

I’m SO glad we’ve tried this hidden gem, at last!
The food was fresh and plentiful and the whole theme was charming.
We’ll definitely return. Maybe for dinner next time – I hear they have BBQ Ribs on the buffet!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 04, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Deano
Imagineer

Deano's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I'm getting so many great ideas for next years trip

Thankyou for the reviews
Old 30 Nov 04, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Mike
Imagineer

... so cruel, Sue, so cruel!

What a fantastic review and photos! Those spicy spuds are lov-er-ley, aren't they?

We were only planning to 'do' breakfast at Boma next trip, having only a limited number of days, but I think we'll have to do Dinner again, too, now! Cheers!

Mike
Mike is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 04, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
gala
Imagineer

gala's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 24

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 336
Love your piccies and descriptions Sue. My kids loved Boma but I wasnt keen. Its just that I love salad and fish (except salmon!) and well there wasnt a lot. I couldnt find much carb that I liked either. Not being a big choccie fan didnt help with the desserts but oooohhhh... their banana bread pud is to die for.
Just to rub salt in to the wound, Michael says that the salmon was absolutely delicious.
The spread I agree is wonderful. It is just me and my preferences I suppose. Looking forward to more reports

Margaret

1999 - All Star Music
2001 - Quality Inn International and All Star Movies
2004 - Homewood Suites I Drive and All Star Music
2006 - Homewood Suites I Drive, Royal Pacific Resort and Pop Century
2008 - Homewood Suites, Hard Rock Hotel and Coronado Springs
2010 Homewood Suites, RPR, POFQ
2013 Homewood Suites, RPR,OKW

gala is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 04, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post

I wonder if you go to these places and JUST EAT DESSERT! Oh, they look delicious. On the other hand, the main meals look rather appetizing too... ok, I'm beginning to see your dilemma!
Old 30 Nov 04, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Kimber03
Imagineer

Kimber03's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 26

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 174
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Great pics...Pitty we havent got smellOvision installed on the dibb
Kimber03 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 04, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally posted by Kimber03
Great pics...Pity we havent got smellOvision installed on the dibb
Fully agree with you, Steve; Stu - about time we did!

Edited at 12:14 AM.
Old 1 Dec 04, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post

Oh that food sounded delightful. Never did have time for a dinner at Bomas this year Yum ribs (licks lips! ).
Claire
Old 1 Dec 04, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post

It all looks very yummy.
Old 1 Dec 04, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Great Sue I am so glad you checked this place out as we plan to go next year.

Thanks

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List