Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 21 Apr 06, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post

A Taste of Africa! - JIKO Part 1

We’ve dined at JIKO quite a few times and it continues to stay one of our top five favourite WDW restaurants.
The atmosphere is upscale but not too overly dressy and there’s always a lively buzz, but it’s not intrusively noisy. The décor is very contemporary in style yet the restaurant is still quite intimate.

We were seated on the raised level right at the back of the room, which seems to have a little more space between tables. Also it was a good vantage point for my nosy habit of seeing what other diners were eating!
To start with Paul chose the Lentil Pastilla with Sweet and Sour dipping sauce.
I had a taste and thought it was like a spicy veggie sausage roll in phyllo pastry.
They were a bit too filling for a starter and a tad dry without the dipping sauce, which I have to say was delicious, and gave the Pastillas a real zing.

I had to have the Kalamata Olive and Cheese Flatbread. I really could eat this everyday!

I’m not at all sure about the bread at Jiko. It’s good fresh bread, but it’s a bit sweet for my personal taste. Apparently it’s the only item on the menu they don’t make in house.
I still don’t like the tandoori butter either.
I didn’t even think to ask for plain butter, but I’m going to next time.

For his entrée Paul had the Tandoori Tofu with Grains and Veggies. Although you can’t see them hidden beneath the spinach, carrots, fennel and peppers, it was a bit heavier on the mixed grains this time and therefore extremely filling, but he still enjoyed it.

I chose the Chermoula Chicken with preserved lemons, olives and cloves of roasted garlic. It was served with mashed potatoes and topped with a dollop of fiery, red Harissa sauce.
The two part-boned chicken breasts were fresh-tasting and juicy. They’d been rubbed with oil, herbs and spices before being roasted to crispy-skinned perfection!
I could tell there was soured cream in the mashed potatoes but couldn’t discern the other flavour – I later found it to be artichoke oil. They were gorgeous. Well, it was all gorgeous and I can’t wait to eat it all again in May.

For dessert Paul had the Pistachio Crème Brulee with Chocolate-layered bottom. He declared it sublime, along with various other accompanying groans of pleasure.
I had Flourless Chocolate Cake with Chocolate-Caramel sauce Peanut Butter Ice Cream. It was very nice, but I prefer the Crème Brulee.
Paul had a coffee with dessert but I was far too full up!

Oops didn’t tell you about the wine. It was nice to be able to drink a bit more with our meal as we only had to wobble our way upstairs to bed!

I had a couple of glasses of Fairview Viognier and then couple of glasses of Rustenburg Five Soldiers ’02, a Chardonnay from Stellenbosch, which I can thoroughly recommend; it was very dense, and quite heady but not overly heavy with oak.
Paul had a couple of glasses of Rudi Schultz Shiraz ’02 also from the Stellenbosch region and a glass of Hamilton Russell Pinot Noir from Walker Bay.
I love the wine selection at Jiko. The servers are well trained, knowledgeable and always ready to help you make a choice. They are happy to bring a few bottles to the table for you to taste even if you are just ordering by the glass.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 06, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post

Sue - I love your reports - I don't eat meat (though I will eat some fish and sea food) and its lovely to see the great veggie selections on offer, that I otherwise may have missed.

Great Photos - drooling over the appetiser, now off for my entree, aka part 2

Love Suexx
Old 21 Apr 06, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
highlander447
Imagineer

highlander447's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
Beautiful, lovely food
highlander447 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 06, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Chelle27
Imagineer

Chelle27's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
mmmmmm - looks lush!

http://photobucket.com/albums/v495/OrlandoBelle/Glitter%20sigs/Chelle2.gif

Hawthorn Suites @ Seaworld July 2005
High Grove, Clermont, July 2006
The Bad Hair Trip Report - July 2005

The Your Eyes Are Bigger Than Your Bellie Trippie - August 2006
Chelle27 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 06, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post

Jiko has never really appealed to me for some reason, but your food does all sound really lovely.
Old 4 Jun 06, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
Looks lovely Sue
Old 5 Jun 06, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post

Foods looks yummy

Tracy
Old 5 Jun 06, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Villainlover
VIP Dibber

Villainlover's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Great report Sue .. and lovely photos

Buenaventura Lakes 1993
Indian Ridge 1995/6/7 Oak Island Harbour 1998 Indian Point 1999 Eagle ridge 2000 Crescent lakes 2001 Indian Ridge Oaks 2003 Highlands Reserve 2004/5
Hampton Inn Convention centre 2007
Hampton lakes 2008 Highlands reserve 2009
Highlands Reserve 2010/11/12/13/14/15
Villainlover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 06, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Wonderful pictures, mmm the brulee looks yummy

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 06, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Mike
Imagineer

oh no... I'm trying to lose some weight at the minute, Sue, and this has sent me dashing to the bakers! Lovely pics!
Mike is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List