Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 2 Jun 17, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
I hear you, my friend. I like this website to find hotels that are actually CONNECTED to the airport:

sleepinginairports/

No choice at Dublin, though. Nothing attached to the airport!

The immigration man at Dublin was such a miserable sumbuck! And I DETEST it when men try to intimidate me but then act all buddy-buddy with R.C...

Oh, those little women - they get all hysterical, don't they? We men - we UNDERSTAND each other.

Vomit.

This is going to be so weird for you to read - you know us so well now! Let's hope THIS prequel is better than...

Edinburgh Airport is the same, although they do have a Novotel we really like just a tram ride away. Not much use if you have the car though!

I laughed out loud at that picture. I certainly hope so too! I haven't yet watched the 'real' Star Wars We saw the new one at the cinema (very good) and then watched the prequels ! I can't imagine how disappointed fans were when they were released. When we were in the Times Square Disney Store we were talking to a Cast Member about Tsum Tsums and she told me she had removed the stuffing from a Jar Jar Binks one, filled it with catnip and given it to her cats to savage. That pretty much sums up all of our feelings!

I have very little willpower and am so tempted to read on but I am going to be good! See you next week
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 17, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Mobile

Ooh this is my claim to fame...me and DH when he was pre husband went to the Royal Premier of the phantom menace in Leicester Square. It was an amazing experience and the only royal premier we've been to! Shame the movie wasn't as great. We had to walk up the red carpet and everything...😅

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 17, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Edinburgh Airport is the same, although they do have a Novotel we really like just a tram ride away. Not much use if you have the car though!

I laughed out loud at that picture. I certainly hope so too! I haven't yet watched the 'real' Star Wars We saw the new one at the cinema (very good) and then watched the prequels ! I can't imagine how disappointed fans were when they were released. When we were in the Times Square Disney Store we were talking to a Cast Member about Tsum Tsums and she told me she had removed the stuffing from a Jar Jar Binks one, filled it with catnip and given it to her cats to savage. That pretty much sums up all of our feelings!

I have very little willpower and am so tempted to read on but I am going to be good! See you next week
My brother and I went to see "The Phantom Menace" together when it first came out - and as we walked out into the car park I said to him, "Is it that all the Star Wars movies were bad - and I just didn't know any better because I was a kid? Or is it that THAT film was bad?"

And he said, "I've absolutely no idea. I think I'm in shock."

He really likes SW, I think he was!

I tried again to watch "The Phantom Menace" - this time with Poot. He got so bored that he asked if we could turn it off!

We're waiting for the new ones until Poot's old enough to watch them - but I'm not very hopeful. I REALLY disliked what J.J. Abrams did to "Star Trek".

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Ooh this is my claim to fame...me and DH when he was pre husband went to the Royal Premier of the phantom menace in Leicester Square. It was an amazing experience and the only royal premier we've been to! Shame the movie wasn't as great. We had to walk up the red carpet and everything...😅
Wow! So much fun!

I've been lucky and gotten to do lots of cool things in my life - but I've never attended a film premiere. And you walked on the red carpet, no less! Did you or DH work at Leavesden?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 17, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Mobile

Well I wish it was as glamorous as one of us working for a film studio. In reality while I was at university one of the crummy jobs I had was at a telesales company. The manager held a competition and I was the winning tele-saler and won the tickets for the premier. It was one of those out of body experiences especially the walk down the red carpet with people shouting "who are you?"

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 17, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post

Well I wish it was as glamorous as one of us working for a film studio. In reality while I was at university one of the crummy jobs I had was at a telesales company. The manager held a competition and I was the winning tele-saler and won the tickets for the premier. It was one of those out of body experiences especially the walk down the red carpet with people shouting "who are you?"
I love that!

Who did you say you were?
Old 3 Jun 17, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
I love that!

Who did you say you were?
I wish I could say we came up with a witty retort but we were young and felt incredibly self conscious so we just scuttled along as quickly as we could. We certainly didn't feel like we should be on the red carpet Once we were seated in the cinema they showed on the screen what was going on outside. We watched all the famous people arriving and being interviewed. When the Prince of Wales and the 2 young prince's arrived they were introduced to George Lucas and the stars of the movie. Then George gave a speech about how much he enjoyed making his movies in England.

It was a unique experience and I wish we'd been more confident and milked the red carpet a bit! We probably could have signed some autograph books...

Old 3 Jun 17, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post

I wish I could say we came up with a witty retort but we were young and felt incredibly self conscious so we just scuttled along as quickly as we could. We certainly didn't feel like we should be on the red carpet Once we were seated in the cinema they showed on the screen what was going on outside. We watched all the famous people arriving and being interviewed. When the Prince of Wales and the 2 young prince's arrived they were introduced to George Lucas and the stars of the movie. Then George gave a speech about how much he enjoyed making his movies in England.

It was a unique experience and I wish we'd been more confident and milked the red carpet a bit! We probably could have signed some autograph books...

Scuttled! Oh, no!

Still...it's a good story. You'll have to think about which celebrity you most resemble so you're ready for next time.

I would have gone for...

Old 17 Jul 17, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
April, you really know how to start off a travel day with a bang! Thankfully you are surrounded by 'manly' men... who own chainsaws as well. I do not love the passport scanning/security gates, I normally do this very complicated scan and shove for poor Cooper and then frantically try to scan mine and run through after him, next time I will wait for the family gate 😬 I'm still not sure why the customs officers need to make you feel so small, because we are Austrialian we tend to find we get the 'full' treatment and I walk away a total bundle of nerves. I understand what you mean about the meals, at least you know before you eat not to expect anything other than ordinary 😆 Michelle x
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 17, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
April, you really know how to start off a travel day with a bang! Thankfully you are surrounded by 'manly' men... who own chainsaws as well. I do not love the passport scanning/security gates, I normally do this very complicated scan and shove for poor Cooper and then frantically try to scan mine and run through after him, next time I will wait for the family gate 😬 I'm still not sure why the customs officers need to make you feel so small, because we are Austrialian we tend to find we get the 'full' treatment and I walk away a total bundle of nerves. I understand what you mean about the meals, at least you know before you eat not to expect anything other than ordinary 😆 Michelle x
Michelle! I'm going to have to make the effort to think of you as "Michelle" now, rather than "Sparksy with the Westie patronus" - which is how I have thought of you up to this point.

About fifteen years ago, DH and I went to Portugal - and the night we landed back at Stansted a flight had just landed from Lagos. Lagos, NIGERIA. I think it had been diverted due to some problem at LHR.

And I had to stand in the (2 hour) queue behind that 747's worth of passengers. Watching some of THOSE interviews I swore I'd never complain about immigration officers again. But still! I was BORN IN IRELAND! Why did he have to be so mean to me? We could be cousins! Doesn't everybody love Australians, though?

I won't lie - I sometimes read in people's trippies about the "lovely food" at PIs - and think, "Can you not cook?" 'Cause you know I'm no food snob - but I think "mediocre" is about as far as I'll go when it comes to dinner at the Purple Palace.

PS: Love a man with a power tool.

Edited at 10:46 PM.
Old 17 Jul 17, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Oh April, I think you and Helen must be cut from the same cloth! You both have the ability to make me laugh out loud whilst reading my iPad! You can totally think of me as a westie - I am probably as shaggy but err on the side of bigger rather than smaller! Lol! As for immigration- you would think I was trying to sneak in, however my Grandadfather was born in Durham, so am I not practically a local? Regarding food, I tend to cook everything from scratch and Cooper is just like Poot, he loves food, from all different countries, I personally dislike beige food 😬 So lovely to catch up again. Michelle x
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List