Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Nov 21, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
Tom did I hear on the news correctly that they are just striking as they are being made to work one weekend 4 times a year 🤷
So just one weekend every 3 months sounds reasonable to me, especially when my son is a Financial Controller for a train company and doesn’t get half the perks, annual leave, sick pay etc that they do and he’s a Qualified Chartered Accountant
That’s the power of Blackmail for you 🙄
I hope you don’t mind I have corrected your post
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 21, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lisbon View Post
So is it a case that strikes should only be allowed for professions where they have no impact.
This strike was about contracts being changed , should contracts be allowed to be changed in all circumstances i.e I agreed to pay you this much for this amount of work, once the works completed I've changed my mind I'll give you half.
In the post under yours Claire has put what she believes the change is do you think this is too much ?

As needs change businesses need to change this can mean a change in working patterns. In one of my employed roles the office moved about 3 miles in London which added about 20 minutes each way in many journeys the lease was up the business needed to move it’s just one of those things.

The RMT love nothing more than a good strike to make there members remember why they pay subs and their leaders earn six figure salaries and usually say the reason is for the benefit of the public who is always against the strike.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 21, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Transport is the key to a thriving economy. Each and every strike hits the economy but far more important is the impact it has on peoples lives.

It will never happen but my view is strikes by transport workers should be made illegal.

President Ronald Reagan had the best solution when faced with striking air traffic controllers. Sacked 11300 of them and banned them from future Govt employment. Sorted that a treat.
If transport is so important, perhaps it would be best to listen and respect the workers delivering this essential service and not show such disrespect by attempting to disregard the contract that had been previously agreed.

I doubt many people would be delighted to be told they need to work nights, even if is possibly only four weekends a year.
vowels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 21, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by vowels View Post
If transport is so important, perhaps it would be best to listen and respect the workers delivering this essential service and not show such disrespect by attempting to disregard the contract that had been previously agreed.

I doubt many people would be delighted to be told they need to work nights, even if is possibly only four weekends a year.
Aww bless them. 4 weekends a year for over £50+K. My heart bleeds for them.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 21, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

Aww bless them. 4 weekends a year for over £50+K. My heart bleeds for them.
Don't believe they need your blood, just respect for fellow workers.
vowels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 21, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by vowels View Post
Don't believe they need your blood, just respect for fellow workers.
And they should respect the passengers who pay their inflated salaries.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 21, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

An need a service to be able to get to work for their often longer hours at lesser salaries for whom the drivers seem to have a total disregard of.
Old 28 Nov 21, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

Inflated?
The average London salary is £39,700 which hardly make £50,000 extravagant.

The strike is not about salary, but changes to the terms and conditions of a previously agreed contract.

I doubt you or any other person decrying the workers right to defend the agreement of their working conditions would happily accept management riding roughshod over said agreement.

If anyone on these boards would meekly accept these changes, may I suggest you join a strong, proactive union?
Old 28 Nov 21, 11:35 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

Transport is the key to a thriving economy. Each and every strike hits the economy but far more important is the impact it has on peoples lives.

It will never happen but my view is strikes by transport workers should be made illegal.

President Ronald Reagan had the best solution when faced with striking air traffic controllers. Sacked 11300 of them and banned them from future Govt employment. Sorted that a treat.
Very sad that people feel that way.
Imagine those families 11300 of them left with nothing
You probably don't know the reason behind the strike.
As for rail way staff. They already work 24 hours a day.
This is probably additional nights.
Remember those starting work at 3am are classed as working earlies when most would call them nights.
They have families and a life.
They have also earned their salaries by productivity.
Very disappointing that people feel 21st Britain should be thrown back into Victorian times regarding work.
Not sure of the jobs done by you but I'm glad I don't work alongside you.

Edited at 11:36 PM.
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 21, 11:43 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Dear all - polite notice.

I started this thread to alert Dibbers who may either be visiting Town for Christmas events or transversing it to get on an all important flight .

Its got a little bit political and I dont want it closed for that as the strike dates are fluid and alerts are important.

Debate is good but for or against Tube Drivers strike action is best held on the political forum not my thread in chat

Thanks all xx
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List