Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 Nov 18, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

Home from our recent, amazing trip...

We arrived back home, landing in Manchester on Tuesday, and I'm perpetually cold!

I didn't want to call this a "highs and lows" as in reality, the trip was amazing and the lower points were only really niggles and thoughts of what we'd do differently next time.

I'm certainly not someone who can keep enough notes and records or be self disciplined enough (or write well enough!) to write a full trip report - so grab a cuppa, as this will end up being a long post (and not sure if moderators would want to move it to trip reports section?)

We're a family of 5 - me, hubby, DS17, DD14 and DS12. This was our 4th trip, but our first just "us", as we've always been with extended family before.

We spent the night before flying at Premier Inn North Manchester Airport. We then flew indirect MAN-ATL-MCO, spent 3 nights at AKL in a 1 bed suite (rented DVC points), 3 nights at RPR club then 11 nights at the Beach Club.

We had 14 day Disney tickets (started on check-in to Beach Club with the DDP), 14 day universal and we went to Discovery Cove, so were able to go to SeaWorld too.

Premier Inn.

We’ve previously stayed at the Radisson and Clayton, but decided to get 2 rooms at the PI, as it was much cheaper, and from my research, I saw we could get connecting rooms at this hotel. On check-in, it seems there are no “family” connecting rooms, which was a shame, but no biggy as our youngest son slept in with me and hubby (we have to get up to him several times most nights), and the eldest two shared a room the on the opposite side of the corridor. This worked well. The food was good, the rooms clean, and a taxi was booked for us in the morning to go to T2, and it all went smoothly.

Flying

The flights were actually OK. It was the first time we've flown indirect, and as far as the tiring-ness (!) of the day, it felt no different to direct, really. Security is always stressful because of my son's medical devices/equipment, which means I have to be quite stern when telling security my son and some of his equipment cannot go through xray/body scanner and he has to have a pat down and be swabbed. The sunflower "hidden disability" lanyard really did help at Manchester though, but still they *really* tried to talk me out of “opting out” and my son having a pat down. I just smiled and told them it was what needed to be done. They actually took all the letters I had from hospital etc and took their sweet time, but once they realised I knew what I was asking for (and I was right in asking for it) their attitudes changed and it was all pretty smooth sailing. The US airports are so much easier to deal with – “sure no problem walk this way – we’ll just search you mom, if anything shows up on your child”.

Even though we originally had 3 hours to connect at Atlanta (both ways) our first flight was delayed, and it ended up being a longer flight than usual, which meant we had 1 hour to go through immigration, drop our bags and get through security and to our gate. We'd resigned ourselves to the fact we'd miss our connecting flight to Orlando, but we actually made it! Atlanta makes it so easy - immigration took about 30 mins, but we dashed through the rest, had someone waiting with our next boarding passes at bag drop and explaining if we hurry we should make it. The flight was so quick - so much so they didn't even get to do the drink service to half the plane as it was time to land.

It felt good being able to walk through MCO as a domestic passenger and we were on the Magical Express in no time.

Animal Kingdom Lodge - Kidani

We rented points through David's to stay here, and would definitely use David's again.

AKL was nice. Our room was very far (almost as far from the lobby as we could be), and the pool was on the opposite side, so it was quite a trek to get there. We got there close to 10pm Friday, and were checking out Monday morning. Our intention was to spend this time chilling by the pool, but the planned closure of Jambo pool (making Kidani so busy - literally impossible to get a sun lounger during the day) and us adding a last minute Universal trip after I'd booked AKL thus reducing our planned SeaWorld and shopping opportunities means in hindsight, AKL was an expensive bed to stay in. We didn't experience the resort to the full, and we kept comparing it to OKW, which we love (as we did all our accommodations). As I said, it was nice, and I'm glad I ticked it off my bucket list, but none of us feel it'd be high on the "must return to" list.

SeaWorld

We hadn’t been to SeaWorld since 2012 – it was actually the first theme park we’d ever visited in Florida. We literally treated this as a nice bonus to our Discovery Cove tickets but had no plans to see any shows etc – we wanted the coasters! The boys don’t like coasters, but me, DH and DD love them. We literally walked-on ALL of the rides there – including Infinity Falls (where we got drenched!) Considering it was a Saturday, I was amazed but a great start to our adventure. We were done just after lunch so headed back to the hotel pool (where we couldn’t get anywhere to sit).

Universal - Royal Pacific Resort

Now, I booked this a few months before our trip. I was railroaded by the family, who up until that point had said they were OK with not going (trying to save a few pennies on what was already an expensive trip – HA!). I booked through hotels.com, using a chunk of clubcard vouchers to pay a lot of the cost of the 3 nights (cutting our Beach Club stay down from 14 nights to 11). The only downside to saving money was that hotels.com had no club rooms available. On check-in, I asked if we could upgrade, and they said we could, at a cost of $125 per night, but we’d be on the 6th floor – not 7th. After all the rave reviews on the Dibb, we decided to go for it (as this trip did end up being a blow-the-budget trip). We loved RPR the last time we stayed, and loved it again this time, but I’m not sure I’d pay to upgrade to club again. Perhaps it was because we were on the 6th floor, and we didn’t get the turn down service, or the robes, or that generally we don’t drink much alcohol and have fussy eaters, or that we weren’t at the hotel at the right times to take advantage of the offerings, but I feel $375 was a steep price for some cereal, toast and coffee (oh, lots of coffee – I made sure I had plenty of that!). If only the family told me (much) sooner that they wanted to do Universal – I could have got club level rooms for less than the price of a standard room at one point (I always do lots of research regardless!)

We absolutely love the pool bar restaurant here. Pretty much QS price, nice meals, huge portions, and so laid back and relaxing. The boat to City Walk is great – I mean, there’s no way I’m walking there, we do enough walking around the parks, I need to save my feet and legs some pain!

Universal Parks

We love these. My daughter FINALLY got to ride the Hulk (which incidentally seemed tame after SeaWorld’s coasters). I say finally because in 2012 she was too short, we didn’t do Universal in 2014, and in 2016 we tried numerous times but our only visits there was just before hurricane Matthew and the ride was constantly down.
The rest of the rides are great and we love each one for different reasons. Hubby is still upset he never got to experience Jaws though. We rode Forbidden Journey for the first time, as last time we went HP rides weren’t included on the express pass and the queues were always way too long or the ride was down. We loved it! Such a great ride and is so much better than Gringotts in our opinion (although we love that too!)

The queues here were really short – to the point we didn’t wait much less time in the express line than we would have done in the stand-by lines for the most part. It feels great going down that express line though. Most of the rides were literally walk-on with it. Universal didn’t feel crowded at all and it was a great couple of days in the parks there.

We also went to Volcano Bay, and I’d rented a cabana. We loved this park, even though we didn’t do that many slides. The lazy river and fast-lazy river were brilliant. Krakatau was a little over-hyped and in our opinion doesn’t warrant the huge wait time to ride, but was still fun. We also loved the family rides. The cabana really let us relax throughout the day too, and gave us a sound base to let the kids explore with a safe place to come back to (and so convenient with my son’s medical stuff, being able to store it safely etc).

Beach Club

It’s been on my bucket list since we went to Beaches & Cream in 2014 so we were really looking forward to it. It’s really an amazing hotel and a totally different vibe to staying at Old Key West. I personally really prefer “hotel” type accommodation, the rest of the family may disagree though. Our room was close to the quiet pool – on the 4th floor, close to the elevator. Less than 5 mins walk to Epcot, and if you stood on the balcony and looked right you could see the tops of the Epcot fireworks at night. We only visited Stormalong Bay twice to swim (having to scan our magic bands and have other wrist bands put on to confirm we were allowed there), preferring the quiet pool to base ourselves.

Transportation was… hmmm… ok. It got a bit irritating having to stop at the Swan, then Dolphin, then Yacht and finally beach on our way home, and early morning buses were already full from the other hotels so we seemed to have to stand a lot. We just accepted and laughed about our “bad bus luck” on this holiday! I really do feel that Disney need to address this though – people pay a high premium for a deluxe resort and scrimp on the transportation there. Mousekeeping was hit and miss too, and it seemed we were only guaranteed “towels and trash” most days.

Disney Parks

-were manic, for the most part. We love the atmosphere, we love the rides, we love just sitting, people watching, taking it all in. But oh MAN it was ridiculously busy at times. We had 30+ min waits in the fastpass lines sometimes.

Animal Kingdom is my favourite park without a doubt. I just love it there, and Pandora was breath taking. FoP is amazing (and I’d managed to get 2 xFP for it so we rode it twice).

Hollywood Studios is great fun – and has some of our favourite rides in WDW. We got a coveted Slinky fastpass, and although I was feeling a little “meh” about it before riding and only got the fastpass at hubby’s request, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Maybe it was because we rode at night, which made it more exciting – but it definitely exceeded my expectations. TSM was brilliant, as always. But – Alien Swirling Saucers – ok, what on earth is that ride? Such a let down. Ok, ok, it’s for kids, I know, but I was expecting…. More?
I have a family of Star Wars fans, and we watched the Star Wars fireworks – we loved it! Brilliant. Hubby said it took him back to his childhood and gave him chills!

Epcot… hmmm. Well. Evenings there, especially as it was towards the end of F&W, was just a no-no. Again, maybe it’s because we rarely drink alcohol so weren’t feeling it, but shoulder to shoulder madness surrounded by drunk people is not fun. Had a couple of brilliant meals there though, and morning fun on the rides. We definitely made full use of Club Cool quite a few times!

MK. It’s fallen to my least favourite park in Orlando (shock-horror!) Purely because the crowds, no matter when we visited, were insane. Even photopass lines were at least 10-families-deep. We spent our last night there, and experienced the only hours-long rain storm of the whole holiday – and even TORRENTIAL rain (as in stand under the shower and you’d still be drier than you would have been stood in that rain, wet) didn’t disperse the crowds for Happily Ever After.

However, it was still, if you took the crowds away, really fun. We got to do all the rides we wanted including the peoplemover and Small World which we’ve never done before, had some great food and lots of laughs. HEA made me cry and is definitely a class above Wishes. It’s obviously iconic, and is the only park we’ve visited on every single Florida trip, and we absolutely must visit each time, but only to do whatever we have planned there and spend a few hours doing favourites and seeing the fireworks. Oh, and Big Thunder Mountain in the dark is infinitely better than in day time!

Discovery Cove

Oh, how I love Discovery Cove. One of my most favourite days of the holiday. We had non-swim tickets and rented a cabana here too. The only negative about this day was the weather – it was the coldest day of hour holiday with a recorded high temp of 23c (oh how I laugh at 23c being “cold” whilst I’m sat here now with the heating permanently on since we got home!). However we still managed to enjoy the day to the full. So much so, I think we’ve all decided it’s a must-do on every trip now. The cabana, again, was brilliant. Felt really special, and was great to have our own space.

Typhoon Lagoon

We must have spent HOURS in the wave pool here. LOVE it. Mis-adventure falls is great fun. I think if I compare the two Disney waterparks (BB was shut) I prefer TL’s rides and general feel, but prefer the layout of BB. It felt busy at TL, we certainly struggled to find loungers at first, but found a spot near Typhoon Tillys (which was closed!) in the end. I do think the cabana at VB and DC spoiled us though. We had to do a lot of inconvenient walking to lockers!

Disney Springs

We really like spending time here, but weekdays and earlier in the day are much better times to visit. Again, some really nice meals. Nice to sit and people-watch. I got to feed my Kipling habit (oh, I could have bought half the shop!)

The weather

On the whole it was great! We had a couple of low 20’s days, and some chilly mornings and evenings (which we’ve never experienced before in May/June/September) but most days it was hot and hardly any humidity and barely any rain until our last night. I think I’d prefer to go a little earlier in October next time though, to try to minimise the risk of getting a cold snap, whilst hoping to be late enough in the hurricane season to avoid storms (not asking for much, am I?)

The food

We had some amazing meals, and some not so great. I wouldn’t say we had any bad meals though.

Our worst experience, by far, was at Be Our Guest dinner on our last night. Our server was cheerful and in character, but we had to wait over 30 mins past our reservation time for a table, and we were then SERIOUSLY rushed. We were completely done in no time and weren’t offered a drink refill once. We were a party of 5 and put on a table for 4, with a chair stuck on the end, so when the bread and starters arrived together, we couldn’t move. They were hovering with our main meals before we finished our starters and then dessert was plonked down together with the bill before our cutlery was put on the plates from our main. The food was nice, the filet mignon cooked perfectly, but for 2 TS credits, we will definitely not be returning.

We had a couple of niggles with some other meals, but we had some amazing food. Yachtsman, Homecomin, Ale & Compass, Le Cellier, Garden Grill, Yak & Yeti, Planet Hollywood & Liberty Tree Tavern. I think my favourite had to be the Yachtsman. It felt really special, on our first night at the Beach Club. We actually paid OOP for Planet Hollywood (during our AK stay as a walk-up) and we thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd say it was one of our top 3 meals of the holiday.

We had SO many ice creams, from the counter at Beaches and Cream. Mmmm, lovely ice cream.

As far as the DDP – again, it was amazing. We made much better use of it this time, and on check out day we had 5QS and 15 snacks left to use. However, at every meal, we said we loved it, but there’s no way we’d eat there unless we had the dining plan. The cash price is eye-watering. Tips, for a family of 5 ranged from $30-50 per 1TS meal, and around $100 for 2TS meal. 5x QS meals were usually $80-90. Drinks were over $4 each, even water. I think I must have drank my own body weight in strawberry lemonade slush.

Uber

What an amazing service. We really didn’t want to hire a car, so set it all up with credit card details before we left the UK. I booked Mears for our transport between Disney and Universal, simply because I needed to guarantee enough space for 5 of us and all our luggage! The rest of the time we used Uber and it was SO convenient. We had some brilliant drivers, some chatty, some with just great taste in music, some who talked politics the whole time (I’m looking at you Mr Columbia!) but they were all pleasant journeys. It was all so easy, and cheap – even though we had to use UberXL, and we never waited more than 5 minutes for our ride to show up.

Family time, the kids being older, and sharing a studio with teens!

At the Beach Club and at RPR, we had a studio. I took an air bed with me at the request of eldest son (17 – 18 in a couple of weeks!) but it never came out of the box as he and youngest son decided to share (with a cushion barrier between them). I was a little apprehensive, but it was the only way we could make it within budget, and I know for a lot of families it would be the epitome of hell, but I needn’t have worried. Ok, we had a few stressful times when I got annoyed at the mess, and a few occasions where we were shouting at one person or another to hurry up in the bathroom – BUT – it was actually great to spend that time together, reconnecting as a family. Normal day to day life is hectic with work and school and fleeting moments all together are few and far between, but this “forced” time together allowed us to enjoy each other’s company, much more than I ever thought we would. We spent many nights, after lights out, all lying in bed, giggling like little children. It took me right back to when I used to have sleepovers at friends’ houses. So, there were a few complaints of snoring, and socks being thrown at the offender, but I would definitely do it again, even with older teens. It gave us time to just talk to each other – and times like that are precious.

And on that subject of the kids being older – my, what a difference it makes! They got freedom to go and get snacks, drinks, or head back to the room for some quiet time. Hubby and I got the freedom to go for a stroll alone without worrying about the kids, to go and do the laundry, or have a chill in the hot tub. It allowed us all to relax and at times do our own thing for a bit. It was also really useful being able to send the kids to stand in queue if they wanted something and I was just too tired to stand and wait! “You want that? Ok. You go pay for it, I’ll just sit on this bench here and wait for you!”

As we’ve always previously travelled with family, I’d had to be quite forceful in insisting this holiday was for just the 5 of us. We needed time just “us” to have one last holiday with the kids, whilst they are still kids (as I previously mentioned, eldest son is 17, and will be 18 in a couple of weeks!) Whilst I can’t see a time where any of them would choose not to come on holiday with mum and dad, we needed this holiday – and it turned out better than I had ever hoped!

We’ve finally, on our 4th trip, figured out what works for us – and that is actually less time spent in the parks themselves. We are definitely not 8am to 10pm in the parks kind of people. 4-5 hours, or a bit more than that if we have a TS booked is perfect. Enough time to do our fastpasses. We don’t need to do every single ride (although we did at Universal, as the parks are relatively small and express makes it easy!) We do however need to do something every day. We need a plan to follow, or we’d end up doing nothing! There was only one day of the whole holiday that we didn’t actually go to a park – and on that one day, we did go to Disney Springs and to Target. Most days, we spent at least an hour or more at the pool.

We also found that, at Disney especially, the parks were much quieter if we went mid-late afternoon, and stayed until closing (World Showcase at Epcot excepted). Each time we went for park opening, it was manic, with queues building up REALLY quickly, but by late afternoon, the parks quickly emptied and queues much lower – AK and HS especially. That suited us perfectly as we could spend the morning and day either shopping or at the pool and parks at night. However, we equally enjoyed night times at the pool (as long as it was warm enough!)

I’ve added up all the miles we walked – and we walked just over 100 miles this holiday – and that’s only from doing half-days at the parks, and doesn’t include what we walked at the waterparks or Discovery Cove (our phones were in lockers). And *that* was tiring enough. I don’t think my feet or my legs could have coped with full on 10-12 hour days! Having said that – fitflops are the greatest invention, ever. I struggled MUCH less this time as they were SO comfortable!

Future plans

We’ve tended to go every 2 years – ’12, ’14, ’16 and ’18, so it stands to reason, 2020 will be the next time! At the moment, we have no urge to try anywhere different. We love being onsite, but it looks like we’ll be up to a group of 12 next time (we’ve asked mother-in-law if she’d like to come and it was a resounding “YES!”, which poses the question of who will look after our dog…) Our previous 2 visits as a group had us staying at Old Key West, but Disney isn’t making our early planning easy on that front. It could very well be 5x studios – but if Disney discontinues free dining offers, we’d definitely have to re-look at all our options. Onsite prices and no food included is way out of our price range. We’ve stayed in a villa once, our first time, in 2012, and I have no inclination to do that again. Especially as we don’t want to drive. So, time will tell, eh?

Summing up

I might have detailed more of the “niggles” than I did our good times – but it was honestly an amazing holiday. Even after 17 nights, none of us wanted to come home and would have happily stayed another week or two, or six… Apart from missing our dog, that is. It’s kind of bitter sweet, as it’s the end of an era. But hopefully the beginning of a new, exciting one!
2022 - Margaritaville & RPR --- 2023 - Villa & RPR & Surfside
Shani is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 18, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
00swan
Imagineer

00swan's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Sounds like a great trip - pleased you had such a good time.

* Orlando: 2006/2007/2010/2014/2016/2017/2018/2019
+ new booking Apr/May 2022

* New York/Orlando mix: 2012

* New York: May 2015/Dec 2021
00swan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 18, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Really great report thanks. Were doing you in reverse - BC for 7 nights then RPR Club for 6, appreciate the reviews.
Did you enjoy Le Cellier? We have this booked as my companions have never done it and we’ve done Yachtsman twice. Still wondering if we should keep LC or swap

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 18, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Sounds like you had a great family holiday

Joan
Old 10 Nov 18, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Really great report thanks. Were doing you in reverse - BC for 7 nights then RPR Club for 6, appreciate the reviews.
Did you enjoy Le Cellier? We have this booked as my companions have never done it and we’ve done Yachtsman twice. Still wondering if we should keep LC or swap
If I had to choose between both of them, Yachtsman would be my pick, but that's not to say we didn't enjoy Le Cellier. The Yachstman really did feel special, whereas Le Cellier was lovely food, but much busier and a little more rushed. We felt the same about most of the Theme Park restaurants this time, actually. They all felt "less special" than on our last two visits using the dining plan. The food quality was still really good, in our opinion though, it's just the experience wasn't what it has been.
2022 - Margaritaville & RPR --- 2023 - Villa & RPR & Surfside
Shani is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 18, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
Thank you, I think I’ll let my sister decide lol

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 18, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

It sounds like you had an amazing holiday thanks for a great report I really enjoyed reading.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 18, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
clubhouse
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

What a great summary - sounds like you had a brilliant time!
clubhouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 18, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
wozza
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Sounds like a wonderful holiday. Beach club is a resort I’d love to try, said that last time but think I may go for it next trip...

Have to agree with you re later arrival feeling better than getting there for rope drop. Certainly feels less stressful and we didn’t really notice a benefit to getting there early. Except maybe one day we got on midway mania in 10 mins! X

Happy planning for the next one!
Port Orleans Riverside/Cocoa Beach October 2018
wozza is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 18, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Bouncing Tigger
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Thanks for your report, it’s interesting to hear the crowds decrease late afternoon as we’re thinking of going later in the day on our next trip.

Quality Inn International Oct 97 & Sep 2002
Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando Nov 2006
Coco Key Hotel & Water Park Oct 2012
POR Oct 2017 30th anniversary trip
May 2019 POFQ
POFQ again 2022
The best of the best 2023
Bouncing Tigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List