Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Nov 21, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
jasminedivas
Apprentice Imagineer

jasminedivas's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
DD had a nightmare journey on Friday because of this and other transport issues. She left boyfriends in Hammersmith and made it to Victoria by tube for her coach to Sheffield, coach was cancelled due to an accident on the M1, this was at 1630. We booked her a train for 1900 and she tried to get from Victoria to St Pancras, Victoria Line was carnage, platform full of people and trains full when they arrived. She ended up walking 3.5 miles to St Pancras with her suitcase and bags. Eventually got the train to Doncaster but the connecting train to Sheffield was delayed and she had to wait over an hour. Got to Sheffield and the last bus had already gone so had to get a taxi back to her student house.
She then woke up yesterday to snow and the buses weren’t running so couldn’t get to work. Now Stagecoach buses are on Strike in Sheffield from today and her Uni lecturers have told her they will be on strike from Wednesday too 🙁. She has now given up and is getting a coach back today for the week and hopes things will be better for next weekend.

Comfort Inn LBV 1999, All Star movies 2003/4/6. Villas 2007/8/9/10/12. Wash DC NYE 2012, NY and LV 14. Orlando, NYC & IAD 15, Orlando & beach 16,17. NY & IAD 2019. West coast 2022 planned.
jasminedivas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 21, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sparklepants View Post
Wish I’d saw this before Fri. We arrived for a long weekend on fri early evening, into Euston. It was absolute carnage. We ended up just walking to our hotel in Covent Garden, actually we’ve walked where we’ve needed to go most of the weekend.
Wasn’t the strike just Friday am to Saturday am ?
Mind you walking or bus is nicer anyway you get to see far more.

We changed our plans from Saturday to Monday for the West End (for non strike related reasons) but it seems like the strike was pretty patchy rather than all out so didn’t have that much member support
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 21, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by duchy View Post

We changed our plans from Saturday to Monday for the West End (for non strike related reasons) but it seems like the strike was pretty patchy rather than all out so didn’t have that much member support
There were two strikes Friday am to Saturday am then Saturday night. The strike only affected certain lines but there was also disruption at other times for example there were cancelled trains and severe delays on the circle line throughout much of yesterday. I was lucky last night to get the bus after the theatre but you could tell there was tube disruption as it was packed.
vhm672 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 21, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post

And Saturday night to Sunday morning

Planned strike action
8.30pm 27 November –4.29am 28 November Central and Victoria.
8.30pm 3 December – 4.29am 4 December Central and Victoria.
8.30pm 4 December – 4.29am 5 December Central and Victoria.
8.30pm 10 December – 4.29am 11 December Central and Victoria.
8.30pm 11 December – 4.29am 12 December Central and Victoria.
8.30pm 17 December – 4.29am 18 December Central and Victoria.
4.30am 18 December – 4.29am 19 December Central, Jubilee, Northern, Piccadilly and Victoria.

On top of planned engineering work and closures especially at weekends
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 21, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Transport is the key to a thriving economy. Each and every strike hits the economy but far more important is the impact it has on peoples lives.

It will never happen but my view is strikes by transport workers should be made illegal.

President Ronald Reagan had the best solution when faced with striking air traffic controllers. Sacked 11300 of them and banned them from future Govt employment. Sorted that a treat.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 21, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

For future reference if the tube is out she can get from Victoria to Kings X by bus in about half an hour changing at Baker Street.

Originally Posted by jasminedivas View Post
DD had a nightmare journey on Friday because of this and other transport issues. She left boyfriends in Hammersmith and made it to Victoria by tube for her coach to Sheffield, coach was cancelled due to an accident on the M1, this was at 1630. We booked her a train for 1900 and she tried to get from Victoria to St Pancras, Victoria Line was carnage, platform full of people and trains full when they arrived. She ended up walking 3.5 miles to St Pancras with her suitcase and bags. Eventually got the train to Doncaster but the connecting train to Sheffield was delayed and she had to wait over an hour. Got to Sheffield and the last bus had already gone so had to get a taxi back to her student house.
She then woke up yesterday to snow and the buses weren’t running so couldn’t get to work. Now Stagecoach buses are on Strike in Sheffield from today and her Uni lecturers have told her they will be on strike from Wednesday too 🙁. She has now given up and is getting a coach back today for the week and hopes things will be better for next weekend.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 21, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Transport is the key to a thriving economy. Each and every strike hits the economy but far more important is the impact it has on peoples lives.

It will never happen but my view is strikes by transport workers should be made illegal.

President Ronald Reagan had the best solution when faced with striking air traffic controllers. Sacked 11300 of them and banned them from future Govt employment. Sorted that a treat.
Post of the week.

We need a thriving economy we all benefit from it we can’t expect this if our capital city has little or no transport after 10pm .

Work patterns need to change as the city evolves tube drivers need to accept this and get on with it or find other employment.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 21, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1

So is it a case that strikes should only be allowed for professions where they have no impact.
This strike was about contracts being changed , should contracts be allowed to be changed in all circumstances i.e I agreed to pay you this much for this amount of work, once the works completed I've changed my mind I'll give you half.
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 21, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Tom did I hear on the news correctly that they are just striking as they are being made to work one weekend 4 times a year 🤷
So just one weekend every 3 months sounds reasonable to me, especially when my son is a Financial Controller for a train company and doesn’t get half the perks, annual leave, sick pay etc that they do and he’s a Qualified Chartered Accountant
That’s the power of the Unions for you 🙄

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1266923

ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 21, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Boris Bike or shoe leather is your friend.