Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 27 Nov 21, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
We usually take around $750 for the 4 of us, mainly to cover parking, treats and tips. The rest goes onto the credit card.
Old 27 Nov 21, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

We don't really use cash on holiday and haven't done so for many years. $100 does us three+ trips to Florida. Nowhere we go doesn't take card.
Just to test this we did one trip where we didnt spend a single cent in cash.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 21, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Scattle
Excited about Disney

Seems like i'm in the minority, I changed up £2.5K into Dollars last week.
Only use cc is Disney/Universal
Scattle is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 21, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Haven't taken cash in years, always used debit or credit cards. However...

Disney's policy has changed and I witnessed this 1st hand getting double-charged by DCL (I posted a thread on this). 1 charge goes through and another stays pending for up to 30 days.

This applies to lodged cards, but I've been reading about this on FB, and some people have experienced this while paying as they go. One woman couldn't pay for her dinner at Epcot because her credit card had been double-charged each time. She hit her limit without realising.

So, this would mean needing double the credit limit or double the funds available on your debit card, depending on what your planned budget was.

I guess we'll learn more about how accurate this is and people's experiences now we're heading back to WDW.

If it's going to be a hassle to use credit/debit cards now, I'll consider taking some cash.
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 21, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gelatoni View Post
Haven't taken cash in years, always used debit or credit cards. However...

Disney's policy has changed and I witnessed this 1st hand getting double-charged by DCL (I posted a thread on this). 1 charge goes through and another stays pending for up to 30 days.

This applies to lodged cards, but I've been reading about this on FB, and some people have experienced this while paying as they go. One woman couldn't pay for her dinner at Epcot because her credit card had been double-charged each time. She hit her limit without realising.

So, this would mean needing double the credit limit or double the funds available on your debit card, depending on what your planned budget was.

I guess we'll learn more about how accurate this is and people's experiences now we're heading back to WDW.

If it's going to be a hassle to use credit/debit cards now, I'll consider taking some cash.
I must admit since Disney implemented the daily holding charge on cards linked to room reservations I’ve stopped linking my card- instead will use it as I go
I was on holiday in Guernsey ( long weekend),recently and my friend had issues with her credit card
She was there for 10 days & the hotel had put a £250 daily hold on her card. So £2500.00 on her card so not just a USA problem
Talland 2016 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 21, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

This has been in place since 2019 and I think it doesn’t affect credit cards as the company can tell it’s not an actual charge? I may be wrong but I think the issues are with debit cards and prepaid cards.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 21, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Wizzyanne
Very Serious Dibber

I’ve only ever taken cash to all 15+ trips! I don’t trust a card will work and I’ll be stuck for cash 😅
Wizzyanne is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 21, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
This has been in place since 2019 and I think it doesn’t affect credit cards as the company can tell it’s not an actual charge? I may be wrong but I think the issues are with debit cards and prepaid cards.
With my friend in Guernsey it was viewed as a charge on her credit card and was there for a few days until it dropped off which shocked her a bit
Talland 2016 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 21, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Yeah, it can show for up to 30 days, but I think there is a difference in the type of transaction which means the credit card company can see it is not money you have actually spent, so you won’t go over your limit?

I may be wrong about that but I remember all the posts in 2019 and it only seemed to be debit cards and prepaid cards that actually stopped people spending money.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 21, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by Wizzyanne View Post
I’ve only ever taken cash to all 15+ trips! I don’t trust a card will work and I’ll be stuck for cash 😅
In somewhere between 35 and 40 trips, my card has never not worked. Maybe I've just been lucky!

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List