Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 Nov 21, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Removing a fireplace

Has anyone removed a gas fireplace from a living room?

We dont have a chimney breast as its goes straight outside so the wall is a straight flat wall.

Over the last couple of years we have toyed with the idea of a corner sofa but have always thought that it was a no-no as due to the current layout a corner sofa would block the doorway and the fireplace!

However if we take out the fireplace and put the tv the other side of the bay window it would work perfectly.

A couple of friends have said that it would mean that the room would lack "focus" but we only use the fireplace once or twice a year and we could put a "new" focal point in?

Any thoughts?
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 21, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
fluff48
Apprentice Imagineer

This is my old house with the old hearth/gas fire/old style brick fireplace removed. It freed up so much space as it was a narrow room. Never felt that we never had a focal point.

Current house with twice the size of living room of our old house doesn’t have a fireplace either. I don’t miss not having a fireplace and in fact haven’t had one in my 4 houses I’ve lived in.

Ps As a comparison, I found a photo of the same house style with a fireplace in situ as a comparison.

Edited at 08:49 PM.
fluff48 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 21, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
Hi Fluff48

Many thanks for your photos - gives a great impression of the changes.

x
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 21, 12:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Weddingnyc
Apprentice Imagineer

We had one removed, plus all surround and fake chimney breast. We did replace with a log burner, however, the actual capping off of the gas fire, knocking out and replastering was only a days job.
NY and Boston July 2020
Weddingnyc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 21, 12:25 AM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
We did this 2 weeks ago, gas man capped the pipe which luckily was behind the fire, he took it out no problem, cleared up years of soot, £59 for the whole job,we then dismantled the fireplace which was fairly easy, just need to dispose if it now x

Edited at 08:54 AM.
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 21, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8

When we moved into our last house it had a really ugly electric fire in the living room

Luckily it was electric so DH could remove it himself

To be honest I like the focal point/mantelpiece so he boarded it off, painted it in chalk paint and built me one

Bought the surround on eBay, then bought some timber, stained it up and plugged it in.
Old 30 Nov 21, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
When I started on the buildings back in 1970 and we had renovation contracts it was criminal the number of stunning fireplaces that got sledge hammered out. Stuff worth thousands.

However those days are long gone and now we are mainly dealing with low or no value fire surrounds.

I sledged ours out about 15 years ago and at the same time got rid of the gas out of the lounge completely. Never regretted it, gained about 18" in floor space and now have a blank space that could have anything put there such as a vase of flowers etc etc.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 21, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
rudie111
Apprentice Imagineer

Surely the TV is the focal point
rudie111 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 21, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Hi this might be slightly different but we used to have a gas fire here as we live in a council flat they knocked it out all so took,old copper boiler out so know it looks better and the flat gets hotter OP I know your is different but hope it helps

cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 21, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
Thanks all for all your info.

We don't have a chimney brest - just a fireplace on the wall.

But its good to know its easy enough to cap off the pipe.

My first big problem is selling my perfectly good only 4 year old sofas in a brown leather that i never liked but DH insisted that we have that colour in case they get dirty... eerrr we dont have kids or friends with kids

Anyone fancy them for a cut price deal