Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 10 Aug 19, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
florida_noob
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I was a Police Officer for my last 10 years in Camborne. An interesting place for a DC to work!

We had no KFC or Macy’s until 15 yrs back in the whole County and I used to travel to Plymouth for either. Plenty of pasty shops, though!
Just back from our florida trip and catching up on yours, starting to plan the NY one for 2wks time!

I know the Camborne I knew has changed, it was a bit scruffy but the community was brilliant and very welcoming of the small student population, will always have a place in my heart. Rowes Pasties on trelowarren street or a saffron cake from Warrens, a pint or two in the White Hart and the Plough (now gone I think) and of course the Berkeley Centre Night Club!

Never had much interaction with the police, except for Rag week stunts

I hope the students at Tremough are as community minded as we were.
florida_noob is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by florida_noob View Post
Just back from our florida trip and catching up on yours, starting to plan the NY one for 2wks time!

I know the Camborne I knew has changed, it was a bit scruffy but the community was brilliant and very welcoming of the small student population, will always have a place in my heart. Rowes Pasties on trelowarren street or a saffron cake from Warrens, a pint or two in the White Hart and the Plough (now gone I think) and of course the Berkeley Centre Night Club!

Never had much interaction with the police, except for Rag week stunts

I hope the students at Tremough are as community minded as we were.
Camborne is not all bad. It could fairly be described as a Socially deprived area with plenty of crime and few career prospects. Little of that has changed from your day.
Rowes originates from Penryn (where I live). The Pasties were hand made in the various shops littered across the area. I have eaten hundreds from the Camborne Rowes (maybe 3 a week). Mother Rowe died some years ago and the line was bought up by a Luxembourg? Company. A huge factory in Falmouth, staffed mainly by Eastern European’s now supplies pretty much every Asda and Tesco in the South of England, if not nationally. The quality has nosedived and they are transported frozen. The good news is that like with beer, there are now dozens and dozens of ‘small time’ Pasty producers in the area. They can be excellent.

Warrens is just the same, a small chain and the food unchanged.

The White Hart is ‘the happening’ pub of Camborne and good for a punch up any weekend.. if it hasn’t already happened in the Waggoners.

The Plough closed in 2006.

The Berkeley has been closed for at least 10 years and the bottom floor is a Wetherspoons.

As a Police Officer, we never really had dealings with the Student population of Pool as they were pretty law abiding and motivated. ‘Community minded’ is not a phrase that would be used in describing the student population of Penryn and Falmouth as they have done a pretty good job in inflaming the locals and isolating themselves. In Penryn and Falmouth there have been ‘issues’ over their sense of entitlement, occasional arrogance on social media and generally stupid, immature shenanigans resulting in bad feeling from the local population. They seem utterly aware of the power of social media and seem able to put their collective ‘foot in it’ on a very regular basis with their idiotic, inflammatory remarks directed at the local population. The Uni does not then help itself, by invariably failing to identify culprits or even investigate what has occurred. even when there is photographic evidence. Having said that, I had 22 students renting from a property I owned up until tax law changes made me get out of the business. I have generally good recollections of that time and remain in contact with several.

Penryn sells degrees in subjects such as Ceramics, Textiles and the like. Locally we have our own saying.
Q. ‘What do you say to a graduate from Penryn Uni?’
A. ‘I will have a Big Mac and fries please’.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 11:17 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
florida_noob
Very Serious Dibber

ive seen some of the stuff around the recent students and social media, not great.

even worse is I happened across Rowes Pasties in ASDA in the North!, lets just say its the first pasty I failed to finish!.

Ive not been back to West Cornwall for 15years, and my kids have never visited!. my favourite time was october and then post easter April/May (before exams!) we always did the bulk of our fieldwork then, I can say Ive been to every north and south coast beach, and most were deserted! (except the one time we surprised a couple in the rocks on the north coast, they were more surprised to see thirty geologists looking at them, they soon got dressed though)
florida_noob is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by florida_noob View Post
ive seen some of the stuff around the recent students and social media, not great.

even worse is I happened across Rowes Pasties in ASDA in the North!, lets just say its the first pasty I failed to finish!.

Ive not been back to West Cornwall for 15years, and my kids have never visited!. my favourite time was october and then post easter April/May (before exams!) we always did the bulk of our fieldwork then, I can say Ive been to every north and south coast beach, and most were deserted! (except the one time we surprised a couple in the rocks on the north coast, they were more surprised to see thirty geologists looking at them, they soon got dressed though)
The only pasty worse than a modern ‘Rowes’ is a Ginsters. They are a crime against humanity.

I would agree that you see the very best of Cornwall in April and May.

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
HevaDuck
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Hi there.

Thanks for the kind words. It’s not so much ‘wouldn’t do again’ as ‘seen it, done it, no need to return’.
For instance in NY, It is an amazing place with many things that I am glad to have seen and I would recommend it to anyone. I feel the same about London. I simply am not mad on people, crowds, cities, dirt, some squalor etc etc. The biggest conurbation that I have ever lived in was Detmold (50k) and other than that, never more than 25k.That is why I choose to live in West Cornwall.
This year I saw the 9/11 , the view from One World and CBGB. I couldn’t have done it any other way.
Know what you mean we haven't done NY since 93 twin towers of course were still standing so on the bucket list to return with a visit to the 9/11 memorial
One of my DDs was in London for 3 years at Uni we were up and down the M1 more times than I care to remember not to mention the M25! Be a while before we return now she's home and my 2 youngest say they'll not return again (but bet they do oneday)
Your West Coast trip report I keep going back and reading it's been very helpful thank you in my planning made me realise more than anything we could do with more the 2 weeks
HevaDuck is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 19, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I've just binged your report and really enjoyed it! So may varied things going on, and I loved the aviation museum, bit of a plane geek here too, although I don't know much about them, other than the commercial aircraft, I just like to watch them fly! We went to NYC in November, absolutely hated Times Sq with a passion, and i'm a West London girl who is used to crowds of people. But I didn't feel safe at all. Again, glad we did it and we did the 9/11 memorial, which was one of the reasons we wanted to go, but can't say I would rush back! The train from Boston looked awesome. Would love to do that! And as I am sat here in Pensilva, i'm pleased to tell you that Plymouth is getting a 5 Guys! Know it's not round the corner, but closer than the US!

Thanks for posting, I really enjoy reading reports when they're all in one!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by NewtoOrlando View Post
I've just binged your report and really enjoyed it! So may varied things going on, and I loved the aviation museum, bit of a plane geek here too, although I don't know much about them, other than the commercial aircraft, I just like to watch them fly! We went to NYC in November, absolutely hated Times Sq with a passion, and i'm a West London girl who is used to crowds of people. But I didn't feel safe at all. Again, glad we did it and we did the 9/11 memorial, which was one of the reasons we wanted to go, but can't say I would rush back! The train from Boston looked awesome. Would love to do that! And as I am sat here in Pensilva, i'm pleased to tell you that Plymouth is getting a 5 Guys! Know it's not round the corner, but closer than the US!

Thanks for posting, I really enjoy reading reports when they're all in one!
Thank you for your kind words and I am glad that you enjoyed it. I write them this way in order to avoid gumming up the DIBB reports section with, in my case, 23 separate threads. As previously said, I also have a mind to print it off for my ‘2019 box file’ as a lasting record of the vacation and this format makes it easier. It is in effect, ‘my diary’ of the adventure (albeit open to anybody interested).

I also tend to skip over and minimise the bits that almost every dibber has done, I.e eaten a meal in the Golden Coral, eaten an in flight meal etc, expanding more on the things that go exceptionally well, very wrong (to help others), or that many might have previously never considered or been aware of as options.

As for 5guys.. with us, it will generally lose out to a ‘Cheeky Nando’ (As long as none of my family say cheeky when referring to a Nando or anything else). I hate the phrase as it is invariably used out of context, these days. There is no Nando in Cornwall either.

Everyone does it different and there is no right or wrong way. This way simply makes much more sense to me.

Edited at 01:22 PM.
Old 14 Aug 19, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Finally got to catch up on the end of your holiday. Rainbow River looks amazing. The horse riding and Airboat looked fun too. I’ve enjoyed reading your report, thanks for sharing your trip.
OB1LukeLucas is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
Finally got to catch up on the end of your holiday. Rainbow River looks amazing. The horse riding and Airboat looked fun too. I’ve enjoyed reading your report, thanks for sharing your trip.
I am glad that you enjoyed it.it did seem strange that the things that they enjoyed most were things that are not normally patronised by Florida Tourists.

This has caused deep thought as we plan our options for next years vacation. This looks like being our first to the USA with no theme parks whatever.

Old 1 Sep 19, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

And now the long awaited Epilogue...

The Holiday is complete. I have prepared the Mementos to the epic journey... and I have booked nearly all of the next one (San Francisco, Monterey, San Luis Obispo, Seattle, Vancouver for Easter).

The wonder wall (with addition at bottom left)

The 2019 Frame (with year pin in top right corner as tradition dictates)

The 2019 Disney photo album (even though we don’t even do Disney).

Mandie’s annual scrapbook(with first few pages showing).

The planning book for 2020.

The Album joins its predecessors.

And now we wait for March 30 2020 and our BAflight LHR to SFO. It seems a long way away!

Edited at 11:02 AM.