Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 8 Aug 20, 01:10 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Forky around the World (Showcase) - A tribute to Epcot! August 2019

Welcome to something different and some thing that is the inspired idea work of my then 12 year old son.

It could/ should have been part of our 2019 trip report , but in a search for some positivity and indeed a recognition that this was beyond our family report - I think it deserves a life of it's own.

A moment of exhilaration and one of joy, excitement and a recognition that Epcot was about to be a whole different place when we returned.

Hope you enjoy the read - feel free to add your own Epcot / World Showcase memories and photos too.

This is a captured period of time that was our final 3 hours in Epcot in 2019.

My emotional account will follow- I promise!- The whole day can be read here

Over to Joe and his inspiration to add to our trip report

-------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I’m Forky and to be honest I never thought I would be able to say I have seen The World.

In June 2019 over 80,000 of me was subject to a product recall by Disney and when my very good friend Joe turned up at Walt Disney World in July – I was nowhere to be found.
The problems with our eyes led to there being no merch left to buy for summertime visitors to the parks.
Me and all of my fellow Forkys were literally trash!

That was until one day when my friend Joe came and took me around the World.
In the changes that occurred after we all departed Epcot that day not only would I no longer be trash, but Epcot would never be the same again.

This is Joe’s tribute to all things Epcot as experienced by him and us in the time that will forever be known as what it was like before it all got knocked down and changed!

You could call it old Epcot, but the park has seen so many changes since it opened and with huge pavilions no longer what they were and with the need for change very apparent, this is just a little piece of history before Epcot is reimagined, rebuilt and given a new lease of life.

Welcome to Forky around the world.

Well the first question has to be – how on earth did I get here?

After being withdrawn from sale and a two month absence from the merchandise sales floor, one afternoon Joe found me, amid a very small selection of fellow Forkys in Mousegear, those holiday dollars that had been burning a hole in his pocket nearly saw another hat to his collection.

Today was his final Disney Day and one which had not been planned for Epcot, yet it was somewhat inevitable or was it just fate that ensured we met and began our journey.
Outside Mousegear and with the Fountain of nations in the background began a journey that was such wonderful fun, not planned nor indeed thought about.
A moment of inspiration to take Forky on a trip around the world just once!

The second question is one often asked – Clockwise or anti clockwise?

We turned left and headed in a clockwise direction to Mexico

Most memorable for -the dark cavernous pavilion that has a volcano at the end –the old Agent P game used to have the volcano erupt in the Kim Possible era.

Ride -The most amazing Gran Fiesta Tour Starring The Three Caballeros – well worth riding every time and usually with a minimal queue.

Food/ drink- The outdoor Cantina de San Angel offers the best options with nachos a favourite. The San Angel Inn beneath the volcano in near darkness always looks great but the menu has possibly put us off more than anything.

Tequila bar is a stop off when parents are enjoying refreshments around the World!

Character Meet and greets –Donald, recent Coco links have meant for a big retheme and it can only be a matter of time before Coco gets a bigger role in this Country.

Music - Mariachi Cobre – unmissable.

Thing I dislike the most - not a great place to watch fireworks, limited viewing and because it is so close to the exit, busier than other places.

From there we headed to the next stop off point, which was Norway, now I’m now geography genius but I’m sure there could have been a more appropriate layout to the whole of this World Showcase!

Anyway, we stopped for a photo in a place once famous for oil rigs and trolls now famous for two sisters a reindeer and a song – they really should “let it go!”

Most memorable for- the fuss made when Maelstrom was closed

Ride-... Then Frozen took its place and this became one of the busiest places in Epcot!

Food/ drink – great choices here – Kringla Bakeri – some lovely pastries to be had, great choice and usually an overlooked place to stop for food.

Akershus Royal Banquet Hall – Princess dining with a family service style meal – worth doing with Children and the food is enjoyable too.

Character Meet and greets Princesses in Akershus, Ana And Elsa have their own part of the Country to meet and Greet, - some good detailing in the queue line to meet them, if you keep a keen eye out for references to the first film on the walls.

Music – none to speak of but the huge Troll in the Norway shop is always a photo stop although he does not sing

Thing I dislike the most – The ride photo on Frozen is always difficult to get a decent picture if you are at the back of the boat!

The film at the end of Maelstrom always brought a quick dash across the cinema area after you had seen it once!

Next stop China.

We went inside just to admire the smell of the carpet!

There is a fantastic plaque on the wall here.

No mention of that carpet smell though!

A wonderful Chinese proverb. Although to see the current film here once is probably enough for anyone! Maybe this was just their way of warning you, just like Starbucks coffee cups warn you that your coffee will be hot! i.e. stating the obvious!

Most memorable for the show pavilion, just look upwards once you get inside.

They once had a Terracotta Army display which was impressive.

Ride – None, the film is enough!

Food/ drink the quick service Chinese food here is a firm favourite, unfussy and you get plenty. Never eaten at the table service here as the menu is remarkably similar to the QS and there are other TS places in Epcot that are more exciting.

Character Meet and greets – Mulan and Moshu can be found here

Music Some beautiful sounds that seek to absorb you in the sheer beauty of the place.

Thing I dislike the most; The old film and smell of the carpet in there too! It closed for a refurb after our last trip in 2019 so hopefully a new film and carpet add a bit more splendour to the place.

Some really different shopping opportunities in here too.

As we left the China pavilion we headed over the Bridge that lifted for the Illuminations barges to be put in place, through to an area known as Adventurers Outpost – a place that usually has no name but a place to sell merch and some food and drink.

The Food and Wine Festival Africa stall was in place so an opportunity for a Lion King moment for Joe.

From there we entered Germany –

With a huge façade and so much that could be done it is a shame there is not that much in this country. Although the Train Set does highlight the efficiency of the German Railways rather well.The great rail disaster of 2015 always gets a mention

Most memorable for – My dad enjoys the beer here! We also got a great photo of him and my mum dressed up for the occasion last year!

Ride – None, but there was a great Agent P find in here.

Food/ drink Werther’s originals – we never bother with food here as it is a drink stop of note, Grapefruit Beer is popular.

Character Meet and greets Snow White.

Music There was a year when a world-renowned yodeller with her band played here – not for the faint hearted as I’ve heard better yodelling from Joe’s grandad!

Thing I dislike the most – the plan was for a ride in the rear part of this pavilion, it was never built, and it means there is not enough to see and do here apart from eat and drink. We did once meet Des from Boy Meets World though.

A short stroll through Europe leads to Italy and a reminder of the long-standing historical links between these two countries and at an opposite side to the lake to The UK and France! Just an observation!

A Venetian picture was needed just to remind Joe of a place he had been with the school only recently.

Most memorable for – view of the fireworks in a spot that is quieter as it is so far from the exit.

Ride - none

Food/ drink two different Italian dining options, neither of which really hit the mark as much as other places in Epcot, never sure why but it just seems that Pizza tastes better elsewhere.

Character Meet and greets None

Music – sometimes a flag waving extravaganza but not much else.

Thing I dislike the most – for a Country on World showcase that has such impressive architecture and attention to detail in the design, Italy seems to fall flat with very little to do for young and old alike. Would benefit from a ride that was like being in a Gondola through Venice.

The biggest and most impressive Pavilion lay ahead of us – we are in the US of A after all and halfway around the World.

Time for a Trashcan Sinatra moment! “Start spreading the news, I’m leaving today.” fitting as it was Joe’s final Disney experience for this whole trip.

Most memorable for The Voices of Liberty

and the film in the Pavilion that houses the most incredible air- con on a hot Epcot afternoon, ensure you have the matchsticks as it does lead to a couple of snooze moments if you have had a busy day

Ride – no need for one. The American Gardens theater offers many musical offerings, the most incredible being the Candlelight Processional

Food/ drink – Lots of different American craft ales and funnel cake, counter service restaurant offers burgers fries and hot dogs.

Character Meet and greets – A little hidden bit of magic lies in unannounced Character meets that pop up in the access lane next to this pavilion. Not on the list of official meets and no times provided. You can meet some rare or long-lost characters here – well worth just taking a bit of time or asking a CM in the kidcot area

Music – The voices of Liberty really do need to be heard to be believed, stunning and spine-tinglingly beautiful to listen to.

Golden Dream at the finale of the show in the main theatre is a wonderful song- uplifting and one that you will be singing for ages after!

Thing I dislike the most – Can’t think of anything except it is not a place to watch fireworks from.

By the time we exited, the rain had started –which led us to our Southern hemisphere stop in Japan.

A place where Joe had eaten several times this trip, not today though he was keeping me away from the trash again!

Most memorable for The dining experiences – Teppan Edo is a great eating experience , Takumi Tei is a place where you only wish that one day you had enough money to be able to afford to eat – highly recommended by many people Joe’s dad has spoken to on the podcast – The Great British Mickey Waffle.

An amazing place to watch fireworks

Ride - none

Food/ drink as above plus the fab counter service opposite, which sells an amazing Katsura Chicken dish – the Katsura Grill is an often-missed place which has always offered great food.

Character Meet and greets none, but the Japanese CM’s who work on the Pearl desk in the shop are well worth watching as is their sales patter too!

Music -The drummers, simply incredible to watch and can be heard all over Epcot

Thing I dislike the most – the expansive shop and a missed opportunity to immerse the Japanese culture more fully – there is so much space here that you can only wish they would add more to the place.

Morocco came next and with a reminder to wear some decent shoes when it rains in Epcot, Joe had soaking wet trainers that are lovely and airy in the heat of the sun but rather porous when the rain starts.

Joe’s brother took the opportunity to remind us all that he had had the nicest steak in the restaurant here just a couple of weeks ago.

Most memorable for Tower of Terror being visible in the background of the Pavilion and designed to look as though it belongs in Morocco

Ride none

Food/ drink – Spice Road Table is an underrated place for food and

Character Meet and greets Hidden at the back is a great meet and great with Aladdin and Jasmine

Music The band playing on the path through often encourage you to hurry through and not linger to enjoy the detailing in this place – there is some interesting details and shopping experiences in here, although I can never remember ever buying anything!

Thing I dislike the most – The band

In the rain we headed to France, to see the Eiffel tower from a distance – this place will soon be home to a rat called Remy and a ride that at DLP is amazing.

The extension at the back of the French pavilion is huge and can be seen from the international gateway entrance area in its glory – once those skyliners get going it will be a backstage peek into what is going to be a fantastic extension opening next year.

It was time for a drink -in some wine glasses that looked so good that Joe’s Mum and Dad decided to buy them. Forky does like a drop of a nice wine.

Most memorable for the food options, Ice Cream, pastries and some lovely food in every place in here.

Ride -Ratatouille will open in 2020 and promises to be an excellent addition to the whole park.

Food/ drink - Chef de France and the Boulangerie at the rear of the Pavilion (hidden gem from a breakfast/ brunch stop)

Character Meet and greets -Belle, there is a street performer here who is funny .

Music – just typical French music on the loop

Thing I dislike the most – The film about France, Impressions de France- and bad impression and a snorefest! At least they have now got a Beauty and the Beast sing along!

We made a walk round to the final two points of the world; The UK was in the rain which was very true to real life!

It is also worth pointing out that this is a post box, not a trash can!

Most memorable for Just how much they have crammed in here – a realistic pub, shops selling UK football and rugby shirts and loads more besides – Beatles, memorabilia.

Ride – A Mary Poppins ride announced in September 2019 is now postponed indefinitely

Food/ drink Strongbow cider or a pint of Guinness in the pub for my Dad

Character Meet and greets – Mary Poppins, Alice and Winnie the Pooh and Friends

Music – British Invasion – play so many songs that you know and love from Oasis to The Who

Thing I/ my Dad dislikes the most – the price of a pint!

The final stop was in Canada, which was all but closed. Martin Short evicted two weeks ago and another planned series of improvement and refurbishment already underway.

Most memorable for The 360 film ( plus the music in there) and the wonderful food in Le Cellier -please also look out for the Victoria Gardens, they were themed after the incredible Butchart Gardens of Vancouver Island

Ride – none, but a new film without Martin Short.

Food/ drink As above Le Cellier is a great place to eat, the cart outside also sells Canadian lager, which is popular with the adults who take me to Disney!

Character Meet and greets – none but the totem poles are worth seeing.

Music – There was once an amazing band here called Off Kilter who were an amazing rock and roll band playing so many fantastic songs, but they disappeared from Epcot in 2014 to be replaced by lumberjacks, who did not stay too long. Alberta Bound are the new house band – good but miss the energy and vibe of Off Kilter.

Thing I dislike the most – it makes you want to go back to Canada again !

And so, this brings to a conclusion my trip around the World Showcase, as with everything Epcot – August 2019 is the end of one era and the building site of the next. Quite literally!

As for Joe, well I’m glad I found him at just the right time –
We still go and do things together but that day in Epcot was simply perfect.

I might still be trash – but I’m Joe’s trash!

Thanks for reading and whilst this is just a short accompanying part of Joe’s dad typing up the whole adventure of their 2019 holiday.

If you have missed that you can find the index to Going out in a Blaze of Glory – the summer of sorcery 2019 right here.

I only hope this shares some of my love of Epcot and if you got to these words - thank you for reading

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.

Edited at 07:57 PM.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 20, 06:29 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

What a fab day you had Forkie!

Epcot is my favourite park, and I love a trip around World Showcase
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 20, 07:17 AM  
Link to this Post
JohnD
VIP Dibber

Excellent report. It made me want to go back to Epcot.

It is hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead.
JohnD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 20, 07:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Inky
Apprentice Imagineer

Fabulous, thank you
Inky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 20, 07:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Aww, glad you had a good trip Forky!
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 20, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
That was a wonderful tour of Epcot . Forky (and Joe) looked like they enjoyed themselves.

I'm disappointed to not get Joe's thoughts on the best and worst restrooms along the way you know that always makes for a heated debate on here

We also love to grab a photo with the troll in Norway, so here is a photo from last year, Dad thought he was so clever pretending to be picking the trolls nose

He's a 7 year old trapped in the body of a 70 year old.

Fancy a contrast? this is the kids on our first trip.

Has that troll shrunk over the years?

Like everyone we also love to try on the hats and take silly photos. First up kids and Dad still in Norway

Moved on to Germany now, Max is always game

Did your kids like to colour in one of the Duffy fans when they were little? Mine did, so here's the last photo from me, again from our first trip.

What a lovely idea for a trip report it was such a lot of fun to read. Thank you for sharing. Although I'm a bit sad at the idea that this was the last day of your trip as that means the end is nigh and I was sort of hoping you'd be able to stay in WDW forever, at least I could pretend you hadn't come home yet and were still out there having fun for all of us.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 20, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A brilliant trip round Epcot with Forky. Thank you Joe for doing it I enjoyed reading along

Joan

Edited at 09:28 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
flo-tinka
Apprentice Imagineer

Great to meet you Forky
And thanks Joe, following in your Dad’s trip report writing steps
flo-tinka is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Ilovesnowwhite
Imagineer

Forky how lucky were you to see the world with your best buddy Joe

Thank you for the description of each place you visited, i now know what to miss, and what to head for next time
xx
Old 12 Aug 20, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Palm trees
Apprentice Imagineer

Fantastic. Great fun to read and a load of photos alongside. A quality report from forky and Joe.
Palm trees is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List