Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 May 21, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Gizzyspop
Getting Excited

Disneyland Hotels

Looking to go to California in April/May next year.

Doing a split stay 5 nights in LA and 5 nights in Anaheim.

If the price is ok I would like to stay in a Disneyland hotel, which one is the cheapest?

Do they do hotel and ticket deals like WDW is doing right now with the dining credit?

And do we know when I will be able to book for 2022?
Old 21 May 21, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

3 Disneyland hotels - in order of price (generally) from cheapest to most expensive is Paradise Pier, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian Hotel.

I looked at all 3 when I was planning my 2018 trip.

Apparently the Paradise Pier used to be owned by another hotel group before being bought over by Disney, and it is the least "Disney" of the 3 hotels. I wandered over there to take a look during my trip and the public areas are definitely more generic than the other two hotels. Not sure what the rooms are like. Within easy walking distance from the parks and Downtown Disney.

The Disneyland Hotel is slightly closer to the parks than the Paradise Pier and has towers. Looks quite interesting but I didn't explore it quite that much besides wandering around the common areas.

The Grand Californian is the closest to the parks (has an entrance directly into DCA), but also tends to be the most expensive of the 3 hotels. It does have huge amounts of atmosphere in its lobby though!

The thing about DL compared to WDW is that there are a huge amount of off-site hotels within very easy walking distance of the parks. Some of them are newly built and very nice. The on-site hotels are extremely expensive compared to the off-site hotels, and you don't get quite as many perks from being on-site at DL. If I don't remember wrongly the on-site perks when I was there in 2018 were limited to early morning entry at DCA or DL (and the early morning entry at DL was shared with people with ≥3 day park hoppers), and access to some activities like the early morning brisk walk through DCA. Very minimal compared to the on-site perks at WDW.

So at DL it is definitely at least taking a glance at the off-site hotels to compare prices and walking distances. Some of the off-site hotels are actually closer to the park entrances than the PPH/DLH!

When I went I did a split stay off-site (Fairfield Inn) and on-site (GCH). I booked the on-site portion directly with Disney US - they had an offer for room-only so I got that offer booking with them. I don't remember any hotel and ticket deals that time.
Old 21 May 21, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Gizzyspop
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by sky13 View Post
3 Disneyland hotels - in order of price (generally) from cheapest to most expensive is Paradise Pier, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian Hotel.

I looked at all 3 when I was planning my 2018 trip.

Apparently the Paradise Pier used to be owned by another hotel group before being bought over by Disney, and it is the least "Disney" of the 3 hotels. I wandered over there to take a look during my trip and the public areas are definitely more generic than the other two hotels. Not sure what the rooms are like. Within easy walking distance from the parks and Downtown Disney.

The Disneyland Hotel is slightly closer to the parks than the Paradise Pier and has towers. Looks quite interesting but I didn't explore it quite that much besides wandering around the common areas.

The Grand Californian is the closest to the parks (has an entrance directly into DCA), but also tends to be the most expensive of the 3 hotels. It does have huge amounts of atmosphere in its lobby though!

The thing about DL compared to WDW is that there are a huge amount of off-site hotels within very easy walking distance of the parks. Some of them are newly built and very nice. The on-site hotels are extremely expensive compared to the off-site hotels, and you don't get quite as many perks from being on-site at DL. If I don't remember wrongly the on-site perks when I was there in 2018 were limited to early morning entry at DCA or DL (and the early morning entry at DL was shared with people with ≥3 day park hoppers), and access to some activities like the early morning brisk walk through DCA. Very minimal compared to the on-site perks at WDW.

So at DL it is definitely at least taking a glance at the off-site hotels to compare prices and walking distances. Some of the off-site hotels are actually closer to the park entrances than the PPH/DLH!

When I went I did a split stay off-site (Fairfield Inn) and on-site (GCH). I booked the on-site portion directly with Disney US - they had an offer for room-only so I got that offer booking with them. I don't remember any hotel and ticket deals that time.
Thanks for the info. Think I’ll look into off site close to Disney
Old 21 May 21, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
vegboatride
Excited about Disney

We stayed at the Wyndham gardens Anaheim which was newly renovated but too far away, the walk back and forth got tedious! I would definitely look at hotels closer to the entrance. In L.A. we stayed at The Garland for Universal Studios which was fab and the Foghorn Harbour Inn which was good for Venice beach I’ve reviewed them in my trip report if you need any more information. Happy planning!
vegboatride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 21, 06:06 AM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We have a trip booked for October and looked at the hotels on south harbor boulevard as they are literally across the road from the entrance.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 21, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
nickyjw
Apprentice Imagineer

We stayed at the Hyatt house at Anaheim resort / convention center in 2018 and we are booked to stay again on the 30th Dec for 4 nights. It’s a lovely hotel, great breakfast and a pleasant walk down Harbour Boulevard to Disney.
nickyjw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 21, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

We have stayed at the Grand Californian (through Dvc) and it is fantastically beautiful and perfectly located.

It’s also priced to match so since our first stay there ten years ago we’ve stayed offsite in our visits since (there are offsite hotels closer to the parks than Paradise Pier which blew my mind compared to what I was used to at WDW!)
Old 22 May 21, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
We have stayed at the Grand Californian (through Dvc) and it is fantastically beautiful and perfectly located.

It’s also priced to match so since our first stay there ten years ago we’ve stayed offsite in our visits since (there are offsite hotels closer to the parks than Paradise Pier which blew my mind compared to what I was used to at WDW!)
It looks amazing, we had a nosey through but I couldn't bring myself to hit the book button as it was over $500 a night on our dates Labour Day weekend so we went to Hotel Bel Air instead for that money, a place that is so good it really was worth every penny and then some. I think if you have a generous budget for a 'once in a lifetime' trip then you won't be disappointed with the Disney hotels but it's not worth stretching the budget when you have so many hotels in walking distance at a fraction of the price.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 21, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
signtalker
Imagineer

Can echo , few comments l although we have stayed at the grand Californian , personally there aren’t really any deals or any great perks like wdw . The costs are more than double a night room rate if not more , and to be honest you’re better to get a good neighbour hotel , many within 5 minutes walking distance , we’ve stayed in many .

Yes it’s nice to stay in a Disney hotel , totally different to wdw , no great package deals , can’t purchase so,far out like wdw .
Personally for me I’d go offsite . We’re off again in May next year and we’re booking a good neighbour hotel one we’ve previously stayed at before .

Jules
signtalker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 21, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

We stayed at Paradise Pier in 2019 and enjoyed it. DH really wanted to stay in a Disney hotel but I don't think we were much closer than the other hotels.

Here's our king room.

It was an easy 5 minute walk to either the monorail which dropped off within the Disneyland park (so you needed to use you park entrance ticket to access it) or a few minutes longer through DTD to the park entrances themselves.

There was a good view of the fireworks from the roof viewing area.

Not sure if it was value for money, but I'd happily stay there again.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List