Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 31 May 19, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile Worried about fitting on plane

Kinda worried about fitting my fat ≈≈≈≈ on the plane seat.
With virgin economy.
Have lost two stone since we booked which is great but had hoped it would be more.
Had hoped that cos we paid to go in the bubble and there are quite a lot of spaces still that I might get lucky and no one sit next to me. But way there is now booked next to me but way back isn’t.

Just getting annoyed at myself now for not losing more as it’s my own fault that I’m now worrying.

Anyone got any experiences with this? I would say I am size 24 but I do fit in some 22s
vampiress88 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
wendywhite
Imagineer

I think that you will be absolutely fine. Although economy seats are smaller, they are more forgiving because they do not have solid armrests, so there is a bit more room for bottoms to spread slightly. I know your fears though, I have to ask for an extension every time, and thats inUpper! However I have just lost 2 stone, and am aiming for much more than that, so I am feeling very proud of myself and you should be delighted with your loss, well done x
Old 31 May 19, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
scojos
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I have to say (honestly
. Not wanting to start a fight).
My first trip i was a size 20/22 and had lost 2 st to go on that trip.
Seats were tight and getting tray down wAs humiliating.
Some of the ride straps were borderline hell and having a lapbar shoved into ur stomach so it clicks is painful.
There is a large riders guide somewhere so might be worth checking sizes.
It does of course depend on how u carry ur weight mines bust and stomach obvs where thry put diff restraints...

I do hope u have a comfortable journey xx
scojos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

I am bigger than that and I have no problems. My bod is more Baymax than Baywatch!

As you are getting on the plane, quietly ask a member of staff for a seatbelt extender - you might not need it but they won’t blink an eye, they will just bring it to you straight away.

One thing I found out is that if you are in an exit row seat, they might not let you have an extender. This happened to me on a flight from Amsterdam. It is because the strap can hang down and would be a trip hazard in an emergency. The crew member sorted it all quietly and diplomatically - she asked a couple further back if they would swap. The couple had long legs so were very happy!

I found PE much worse because of the fixed armrests. The tray came out of the arm which was useless to me. It was hinged in the middle so it sat on my buddha belly like a little roof!

By contrast I was fine in Economy. OK, so I couldn’t get the tray completely down, but I could get it flat enough to put my food and drink on.

And because the middle armrest wasn’t fixed in Economy, I could lift it up and DH and could ‘share space’!
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

If you have the window seat on the plane then you have a dinky little side table which helps a lot if your table causes a problem. I actually would not recommend upgrading to PE tho as those immovable arm rests really restrict any overflow! X

Sorry for duplication Gill posted at same time.

Edited at 09:33 AM.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
I have little advice re the seat, but I just wanted to say a huge well done for losing weight and getting healthier.

Size is far less important than a healthy heart and lungs and although being more Baymax than Baywatch (thanks for that Gill, too funny!) may be something you want to change, do it for the health reasons, not a seat size!

If you're feeling confident enough, maybe tell the person sat next to you that you've lost 2 stone, but realise it may be a cosy flight still - being aware of how we are to others, whether we are too big, too smelly, too loud or whatever, is a good thing I believe.

For me personally, if you told me about the weight loss, my mindset would change from 'I'm cramped and unhappy' to 'this lady is really trying'. That opinion may be wrong of course, but I'm just being honest.

Keep going with the healthy eating, make it a lifestyle choice rather a diet as it will make it much easier.
Oh and try Couch to 5k - it is A-MAZ-ING! I've also lost 2 stone by doing it and have just run my first half marathon - Couldn't run up the stairs a year ago.

Have a great holiday.

Edited at 10:07 AM.
Bats is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

As you are travelling with family cant you ensure that you sit next to them to relieve your worries of sitting next to a stranger.
Old 31 May 19, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
galaxy101
Getting Excited

Congratulations on your weight loss 2st is a great start. We went in 2017 & I promised myself that I would loose weight for the trip I didn't & had many sleepless nights about the flight. We sat upstairs in the bubble luckily on the way out our row of 3 consisted of me, my daughter & her friend so we had a bit more room to wiggle about lol on the way back the row consisted of 3 adults that was a bit more cozy! I was a size 22/24 didn't need an extender for the seat belt & the tray was fine, the only problem I had was I couldn't use my headphones, the jack was in the side of the armrest & it really dug into my leg. My husband kept saying why aren't you watching the tv I was too embarrassed to tell him why. Had no problem with any rides, a few at Universal were a bit tight.

We are going back in October, I have lost 2 stone & I'm hoping to have a bit more off before we go, maybe this year I will be able to watch the films lol xx
Old 31 May 19, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by JLH View Post
As you are travelling with family cant you ensure that you sit next to them to relieve your worries of sitting next to a stranger.
Apparently not. Kids want to sit with dad and window seat. I need an alise one for toilet trips
vampiress88 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Tip from me, on the aisle side arm rest there might be a little button underneath that allows you to lift it up for a little more room.
Personally I’d always sit with my family and over rule them (I had Daddies girls but used to say that was the seat I’d been given and we had to sit in our own seats!