Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 29 Jan 20, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

I dont think JSA exists now it is all universal credit, which has very strict rules and conditions. Living at home the amount will be very basic, and it is paid in arears. All job searches etc are done electronically with everything recorded on your page. It takes time to get sorted out, probably easier for a graduate to get a job, even any job otherwise surely its a bit of a waste of several years studying and getting into student loans etc just to sign on after completion of degree.
Old 29 Jan 20, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
I apologise that I used just yours, I don’t know how to multi link posts and yours was simply the one above mine.

However, it’s open to interpretation as I can’t see where Bondy said anything about the holiday and who was paying. I know Bondy often takes his adult children with him so I presume he pays.

My point being is we can’t really judge as we don’t have all the facts (as it’s not our business if his parents pay or he pays)

Generally though, he won’t get UC while on holiday. I completely agree that securing a job would be the priority but this doesn’t mean he can’t take a holiday too
It’s not who pays for the holiday , it’s the principle of claiming whilst “having a little holiday” . It’s not pocket money funded by the taxpayer , it’s paid to those actively seeking work.
I do agree any graduate leaving job hunting til after graduation , exams or even later is far more likely to miss the boat though .
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

I can’t understand why any graduate’s parent is asking about claiming benefits. Surely benefits are for those in real need, not just finishing Uni.

We paid for DS1 holiday to Florida after he finished Uni, didn’t enter our head for him to apply for benefits. He ended up starting his own business and has done ever since.
Old 29 Jan 20, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
It’s not who pays for the holiday , it’s the principle of claiming whilst “having a little holiday” . It’s not pocket money funded by the taxpayer , it’s paid to those actively seeking work.
I do agree any graduate leaving job hunting til after graduation , exams or even later is far more likely to miss the boat though .
But he cannot claim while having a holiday, UC will not be paid as he is not in the country or actively seeking work. UC claimants often get their benefit sanctioned if they miss one day online job searching, let alone a week or two in the sun.

I agree that securing a job would be my daughter’s priority too, but she may be able to secure a job which wouldn’t start until August/September so could still take a holiday. She would not claim benefits. However, that’s my family, I still feel Bondy asked a simple question and wanted a simple reply, not opinions on whether his son is right or wrong to make a claim.

Edited at 09:20 PM.
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
I don’t know what degree your children are studying, but my daughter (and many others) are working very hard for their degrees. She had a long Christmas break but revised for exams every day apart from 3 days at Christmas

Again, I’m not saying claiming benefits after uni is right or wrong. I don’t think a short break before going into work is a bad thing as many students have had a lot of stress while studying (as despite many people’s opinions, many do not party for 3-6 years) I would prefer my daughter to secure a job before travelling and start after her short holiday but I can see why a holiday would be beneficial if at all possible (without claiming benefits as she wouldn’t be entitled to claiming not actively seeking work)
Totally agree that a holiday or travel could be a good thing after 3 years hard work. Think your suggested is ideal - secure a job and then travel.
However, jobseekers allowance (or the equivalent) is for those seeking work rather than choosing to travel instead
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
Totally agree that a holiday or travel could be a good thing after 3 years hard work. Think your suggested is ideal - secure a job and then travel.
However, jobseekers allowance (or the equivalent) is for those seeking work rather than choosing to travel instead
I agree, and have explained that no one would be able to claim UC while travelling. Even if someone claimed UC before travelling, they would have to be applying for jobs and if they refused to take a job (as they had a holiday booked) they would be sanctioned. So, in theory they could claim UC, but the practice is not that simple.
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

My son did start looking before he left uni and I did book and pay for a Florida holiday for him. He found a job , started July but was refused time off for the holiday in August so I lost his flight money. It was unfortunate but one of those things -
JLH is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by JLH View Post
My son did start looking before he left uni and I did book and pay for a Florida holiday for him. He found a job , started July but was refused time off for the holiday in August so I lost his flight money. It was unfortunate but one of those things -
That’s a shame you lost the money. Some companies will honour prebooked holidays, but if it’s a graduate scheme with training involved it can be difficult as the new starter would miss the training. Also, if he hadn’t secured a job then I’m sure he would have really appreciated the lovely holiday. It’s a gamble to book but you realised this. I hope your son is enjoying his new career 😀
Old 29 Jan 20, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BarryandCaron View Post
I can’t understand why any graduate’s parent is asking about claiming benefits. Surely benefits are for those in real need, not just finishing Uni.

We paid for DS1 holiday to Florida after he finished Uni, didn’t enter our head for him to apply for benefits. He ended up starting his own business and has done ever since.
They are entitled to claim benefits if they meet the conditions and if graduates don’t have a job straight away, I don’t see what’s wrong with them claiming until they do get a job. Even just to protect their National Insurance record. We can’t have it both ways - wanting students to be independent but expecting parents to support them if they struggle to find work.

Some universities used to organise signing on sessions for final year students as they know not everyone gets a job straightaway. Some courses have 100% employment rates but not all of them.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
They are entitled to claim benefits if they meet the conditions and if graduates don’t have a job straight away, I don’t see what’s wrong with them claiming until they do get a job. Even just to protect their National Insurance record. We can’t have it both ways - wanting students to be independent but expecting parents to support them if they struggle to find work.

Some universities used to organise signing on sessions for final year students as they know not everyone gets a job straightaway. Some courses have 100% employment rates but not all of them.
You can pay your national insurance direct without signing on. I remember the days when people would take any job in the name of pride and dignity alas by this thread these days are well gone.

If parents have disposable income then I believe they should support their child with loans/gifts of money.

Signing on used to be a thing of shame I am truly taken aback at how normal/mainstream it has become...
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread