Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 May 19, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
whenyouwish...
Earning My Ears

Holiday Insurance & Possible Gallstones

I think this is the correct forum to pop this Q on.

We go in October and today I have found out I might possibly have gallstones and have been referred to a consultant.

If it turns out I definitely do have then, I will obviously have to mention this when we get travel insurance. If however, I have my gallbladder out before we go will I have to declare this? Surely once it's out I won't have any more issues/flare-ups.
whenyouwish... is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
brummymummy
Imagineer

brummymummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Guidebook Photos: 90
Hiya, you will have to declare it and you are right that you won’t get any more flare ups if it is gallstones but you will probably need meds afterwards and have to declare those too.

Having had this myself though I can tell you the insurance isn’t too much on top and does ask specific questions.
2012 Pre-trippie
brummymummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
whenyouwish...
Earning My Ears

Thank you so much for replying. That's good to know.

So am I best holding off getting insurance until I've seen the consultant and know what's what for definite? It could be a few more weeks yet.
I did an online quote and if the gallbladder is left in when we go but I've had gallstone flare-ups then the quote was a lot higher then if it's removed.
whenyouwish... is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
BnDamo
Imagineer

BnDamo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 12
Ask the consultant what wait times are if you do need surgery. You usually cannot fly for at least 6 weeks after any procedure. Insurers ask if you have had any procedure/surgery within the last 12 months, so you would need to declare.
BnDamo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by whenyouwish... View Post
Thank you so much for replying. That's good to know.

So am I best holding off getting insurance until I've seen the consultant and know what's what for definite? It could be a few more weeks yet.
I did an online quote and if the gallbladder is left in when we go but I've had gallstone flare-ups then the quote was a lot higher then if it's removed.
In our (fairly extensive ) experience you are usually better off waiting for a prognosis and treatment plan before you get a quote. I renewed our policy yesterday and "undiagnosed conditions" was one of the exclusions. Some PEMCs such as cancer are often "have you ever?" but others such as gall stones/bladder will usually be more recent and will ask about recent treatment and operations, future planned treatment and medications etc.

Please be absolutely honest. If you make a claim they have the right to access medical records and if you've held back anything they may refuse your claim.

Mick
Old 20 May 19, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
whenyouwish...
Earning My Ears

Originally Posted by mick View Post
In our (fairly extensive ) experience you are usually better off waiting for a prognosis and treatment plan before you get a quote. I renewed our policy yesterday and "undiagnosed conditions" was one of the exclusions. Some PEMCs such as cancer are often "have you ever?" but others such as gall stones/bladder will usually be more recent and will ask about recent treatment and operations, future planned treatment and medications etc.

Please be absolutely honest. If you make a claim they have the right to access medical records and if you've held back anything they may refuse your claim.

Mick
Oh, I will completely be honest. I wouldn't like to do anything but. I think I will wait then until I see the consultant & then I will take out the insurance. That way I will know the answers 100% for each Q relating to it.

Thank you.
Old 20 May 19, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post

Mick
Agree with you on this Mick.

Insurers don't have an issue with covering most health problems (it may cost but most will do it) the words that strike fear into their stone cold hearts are:

1. probably
2. Undergoing investigation
3. Awaiting results
4. Exploratory examination

All the above are areas of uncertainty and insurers hate uncertainty.

It will usually cost more to insure a "suspected case of X" than to cover someone diagnosed with "X"

Simply because they can work out the risk and likelihood of a claim if it's diagnosed, if it's only suspected it could be a myriad other things that they can't factor into their underwriting
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
thefergies
Apprentice Imagineer

Not sure I agree with holding off to get insurance. Whilst doing so may seem sensible in relation to gallstones, you are currently completely uninsured for all other unforeseen scenarios that may cause you to cancel. The reason for taking out insurance straight away is to have cancellation cover. So there is risk involved in waiting.
thefergies is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by thefergies View Post
Not sure I agree with holding off to get insurance. Whilst doing so may seem sensible in relation to gallstones, you are currently completely uninsured for all other unforeseen scenarios that may cause you to cancel. The reason for taking out insurance straight away is to have cancellation cover. So there is risk involved in waiting.
Yes in fact I can also agree with what you say. I've said on here many times that the order that we always do stuff is ESTA, book holiday and immediately insure the risk of anything that you can't recover if you cancel.

So yes I am being a little inconsistent and I suppose it's question of balancing risk.

My renewal yesterday clearly said that there was no cover for anyone awaiting diagnosis. To balance this when Joan was diagnosed with breast cancer early in 2016 we thought we may still be able to go before we knew chemo was needed. Got a quote then for £1,600 for a single trip. We then found out that chemo was required and towards the end of the treatment we got another quote from the same company at £800.

Maybe best for OP to call the insurers to get their view. I found this better yesterday when I rang to ask whether Joan's current medication was considered treatment. Sometimes better to speak to someone rather than press buttons on a laptop.

Mick

Edited at 01:23 PM.
mick is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Cliftonite
Serious Dibber

No No No don't hold off telling your Insurance Company about it!

I had to have an emerg operation to remove a gallstone the size of an egg 5.5weeks before we were due to fly to Orlando last August. It was such a mess inside that they couldn't remove the whole gall bladder which led to stents having to be inserted too via an ERCP procedure.

Nationwide would not cover me for anything relating to the procedure, but would cover me for everything else including paying out if we had to cancel - would have been nearly 18K as involved 2 families (6 adults).

I ended up with pancreatitis and cholecystitis too - both of which is very common following the operation & ERCP - but therefore really really struggled to get travel insurance. after many calls and tears on my part the Post Office would medically cover me for anything relating to the Gall Bladder situation - 15 days for £480.

Steep I know but there was no way I would go without full insurance. Nationwide indicated that I could have invalidated the whole insurance package if I hadn't told them and something had happened.

PS I only got the Fit to Fly on the Friday before we flew on the MOnday! Close to the wire or what !

2008 AKL & private villa ~~~ 2011 AKL & private villa ~~~ 2013 WL (2 weeks) ~~~ 2018 OKW & Portofino
Cliftonite is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List